DSL1CR & DSL1HR - Same internal amp?

• Thread starter Nezza42
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nezza42

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here & about to buy my first Marshall.

I'm currently learning to play guitar & record direct into DAW & use amp sims.

I would like to add a physical amp that I can also record mic'd.

I was going to go for the DSL1HR with a Cab (probably a 1x12) but I'm also tempted to get the DSL1CR combo with a Cab instead as the total cost is only about £35 more.

I'd then have a rig I can use at home with the Cab & portability with just the amp.

My question is, are the internal amps the same between the combo & the head?
Is there a difference in quality via the Cab out?

Cheers
Nez

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here & about to buy my first Marshall.

I'm currently learning to play guitar & record direct into DAW & use amp sims.

I would like to add a physical amp that I can also record mic'd.

I was going to go for the DSL1HR with a Cab (probably a 1x12) but I'm also tempted to get the DSL1CR combo with a Cab instead as the total cost is only about £35 more.

I'd then have a rig I can use at home with the Cab & portability with just the amp.

My question is, are the internal amps the same between the combo & the head?
Is there a difference in quality via the Cab out?

Cheers
Nez
:welcome:to the forum.
Yes, they are the same amp.
Only differences are cosmetic for the label orientations.
The combo speaker output is no different than the head, but you will notice a big difference sending either to a 12" speaker cab compared to the 8" in the combo.

GustHFS

Reaction score
:welcome:to The Forum!
As @fitz said, big difference when using the head/cab config. If the difference in price and space availability is not an issue, I would go with the head/cab. When I bought my DSL20H some time ago, I didn't even consider buying the combo, on the contrary I bought a 2x12 cab right away.

Gust

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Hi! Welcome to the Forum.

I have a DSL1HR, and I bought it specifically to run through cabs. I had no desire for portability. If you want to keep the portability option open, get the combo. You can still easily run it through an external cab for recording/bigger sound. Just know when switching between the two to turn off the amp - a tube amp requires a load (speaker of the correct impedance). You are free to disconnect the guitar lead while the amp is on, but never unplug the speaker output while on.

Good luck with your guitar journey!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so it’s one or the other, I get it, thanks man,…

I have a little Avt20 that has an ext. cab output, but if you plug a cab in it, the combos speaker is bypassed.
It's a cool little amp, I used to have the head version.
Literally the same chassis inverted in the combo with different front & back plates.

Just the one 16 ohm speaker jack on both, but there's an 8 ohm wire from the OT zip tied inside for an easy swap or an added jack mod.
I never tried the 8" combo, but mine sounded way better through 12" speakers than 10".