DSL40C c19 mod

• Thread starter dhw
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dhw

Reaction score
I just picked one of these up last night and am going to retube it here pretty quick. I figured I would do the c19 mod while I was in there since no metal will ever come through that speaker. I'm familiar with the actual procedure of lifting the leg but I know there's some serious juice in the caps. Should I be discharging them before doing this? Which one(s) should I be doing if so? Just a standard screwdriver short between them or is there some other method I should be using? I've replaced the caps in the central air unit a couple times but have never done anything in something that I actually care about :cool:

I'd prefer to not blow up the amp and I'd prefer not to die. Yes, probably in that order of importance...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America

dhw

Reaction score
Hello DHW

There are plenty of DSL40C threads here but this is a main one. Read on, there is a lot.
http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/53780-official-marshall-dsl40c-information-thread.html

That amplifier will discharge its power section through internal bleed resistors. Give it a few minutes after it is turned OFF while it cools down (if it were ON).

I've been reading but at 50 pages it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Are you 100%, absolutely positive about this? I really don't need any fireworks...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I am sure.

All you DSL40C users and readers out there, stand up and verify that this amplifier discharges itself.

If you have a multimeter it can be used to test for voltage.

Oh, never short out capacitors. It is not a good idea or practice.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
You are clipping a small cap don't touch anything else, you are fine! The big caps will be discharged, you won't get a lightning show if you don't drop your screwdriver inside!! Do you know where C19 is? I've done it, I simply snipped it with wire cutters on one leg. Both channels are now balanced for treble, very easy vasectomy, as long as you can find C19. It's near the LEDs and mode pushbuttons. Also, mickeydg5 knows his stuff, if he says it discharges, that's as good as gold! He doesn't spew poo on here!!! Or fling dung like a monkey...

Attachments

• DSCN4177-L.jpg
    DSCN4177-L.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 18

dhw

Reaction score
You are clipping a small cap don't touch anything else, you are fine! The big caps will be discharged, you won't get a lightning show if you don't drop your screwdriver inside!! Do you know where C19 is? I've done it, I simply snipped it with wire cutters on one leg. Both channels are now balanced for treble, very easy vasectomy, as long as you can find C19. It's near the LEDs and mode pushbuttons. Also, mickeydg5 knows his stuff, if he says it discharges, that's as good as gold! He doesn't spew poo on here!!! Or fling dung like a monkey...

Yup, I put my eyes on it last night when I was playing with it before playing through it.

Thank you and I am sorry for questioning. You know how the internet is, when my stuff or my life is on the line I like to verify that sort of stuff :D

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yup, I put my eyes on it last night when I was playing with it before playing through it.

Thank you and I am sorry for questioning. You know how the internet is, when my stuff or my life is on the line I like to verify that sort of stuff :D

No sweat, I see you are new here and exactly that - if it's online, beware and make sure! Have fun with the 40C it's a great little combo!:D

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you are safe. The caps discharge in the time it takes for the tubes to cool down.
Use your meter and see for yourself.
And where the C19 cap it is is pretty safe.

Check your bias while you have the chassis out, and take the time to become familiar with your new amp!

dhw

Reaction score
Yeah, you are safe. The caps discharge in the time it takes for the tubes to cool down.
Use your meter and see for yourself.
And where the C19 cap it is is pretty safe.

Check your bias while you have the chassis out, and take the time to become familiar with your new amp!

Yup, plan on lifting the leg on c19 while setting the bias when I retube it.