DSL40cr classic clean (green) channel

• Thread starter gtbob109631
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gtbob109631

Reaction score
I have a DSL 40cr, I love the classic gain(green) channel. I play in a cover band. My setup is a vol pedal, compression pedal, two Timmy pedals, a HOF reverb, delay.
I keep it on the green channel, when I want more gain, I kick in a Timmy or maybe both ( I set them up differently) . I have a great variety of tones at my disposal. Problem is the amp has started to intermittently cut out. So I feel I can’t trust it. And there is a big issue with getting it fixed, and the same problem happening again. There’s a lot of posts relating to that
Any ideas on an alternative amp, I’m not going to get any of these amps like the dsl that has programmable chips and modern channel switching electronics. I’ve had Fender deville’s, had a Mesa Lone star special. And a few other amps and they were good. but that DSL 40cr classic clean is the canvas I need to play through. I was thinking of a JCM 800 1x12 4210 combo. That’s probably my ideal, cause my love of the sound I’m after initially came through playing a JCM 800 in a studio I rehearse at. I’m hesitant to get an old used amp
So long story longer, any ideas on any current manufacturers making a good new JCM 800 clean channel type sound, or DSL clean channel sound. Or thoughts on a used JCM 800 1x12 4210 combo. Very aggravating to find your tone, and the thing breaks.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the issue you cannot overcome about seeking out a Marshall tech?

Do you need a really clean channel or are you able to get by with a clean just about on the edge of breakup?

If you are ok with getting cleans by backing off the guitar volume then an actual Jcm800 2203 might be a good fit. Or possibly a 2204 if you can find one.

Both of those amps also have a low sensitivity input that gives you very clean, beautiful cleans, but the volume in that input may not be loud enough for gigging.

You would need to look into that if you need very clean cleans. Still if you’re ok with edge of breakup, those two single channel, 6 knob, very simple Marshall amps might fit in nicely.

gtbob109631

Reaction score
Those models DSL’s apparently have a lot of lemons. I might have one. It has cut out twice on me, once at a rehearsal and once at a gig. Then will come back after a couple minutes. There are many threads in a lot of detail about people with the same issue, and getting it fixed and still having the same issue. Huge headaches. I hope this post doesn’t devolve into how to fix the DSL, I’ve spent hours and hours researching it, talking with techs etc…. What I posted is a need for a similar sounding amp to the DSL 40cr classic clean channel. Or a JCM 800 1x12 50 watt combo, clean channel. The JCM 800 2203 might be a thought, I know I used to play through on in a studio a few years ago. Can’t specifically remember the particulars. That was a half stack. Do they make it in a 1x12 50 watt combo style? That’s about as big as I’d go. I’m 62 yrs old. Not looking to break my back. What about the SC20c, not sure if it would have enough power. Or maybe a Dirty Shirley, never owned a Shirley, does it do a Marshall clean, don’t want Fender cleans. Looking for that Marshall full bodied throaty clean, gain 1/4 up, volume at 4-6. On green channel. Volume relative to the situation

LCW

Reaction score
Have you tried crunch mode with the gain backed off? Might be a good stop gap until you get the clean issue sorted?

LCW

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new amp, The whole amp cuts out. When it works, I love it. I’m looking for viewpoints on alternative amps.
Ah gotcha. Shame the 40CR is great. But obviously has to work lol.

I don’t know enough about old Marshall combos. But if you have budget check the Badlander combo.

gtbob109631

Reaction score
I checked out that badlander on YouTube. Sounds like a heck of an amp. Maybe I’ll check one out somewhere. Probably not exactly what I’m looking for, and a little too much money. Mesa makes very well constructed amps, had a lonestar special for years, gotta lotta use out of that guy. Also had the Filmore, nice amp, but wasn’t what I was looking for, returned it.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new amp, The whole amp cuts out. When it works, I love it. I’m looking for viewpoints on alternative amps.

The "Clean/Green" mode of the DSL40CR & DSL100HR is somewhat unique in the Marshall line up. Most folks gravitate to the CLASSIC GAIN CRUNCH mode. I think the reason you read/hear of so many DSL40CR failures is because it has been one of the most popular and best selling models that Marshall has produced in years. This increases the number (not percentage) of reported issues. For example, we rarely hear of failures of the STUDIO 15 from the late '80s, but Marshal only made/sold a few hundred of that model!

I highly recommend having your amp properly serviced at a Marshall service center. If you're the original owner, it came with a five year warranty! I'd also recommend finding a somewhat suitable used, replacement/spare amp to use while your DSL40 is out for repair and subsequent confirmation of its health. The beauty of a "used" purchase is the little or no out of pocket loss when you finally sell it onwards.It also affords you the opportunity to try/assess/see if any other amp floats your boat as well as the DSL40CR.

On the other hand, a regularly used amp does wear out its tubes , as well as getting intermittent connections of the tube pins in their sockets. It would behoove you to have at least one good, new ECC83/12AX7 tube to roll through all the preamp tube positions to see if that is the problem (I'm betting it is) and having a spare tube is always a good idea for tube amp users. Also, just the process of replacing each tube with the new (for testing) and then reseating the original tube may well cure any "iffy" connections at the tube sockets! Having a spare pair of power tubes is also a good idea. And this does not qualify as "amp repair" per se, but instead regular routine maintenance, much like brushing your teeth and/or wiping yer bum! If yer gonna use tube amps, it is simply part of the process!

Don't Give Up Yet On Your DSL40CR,
Gene

LCW

Reaction score
If you’re not set on Marshall, the St James EL34 from Blackstar might worth checking. The 6L6 is more metal but the EL34 seems to be more pitched as a pedal platform. Plus you have the British EL34 vibe. But maybe Blackstar is a bad word around here. Lol

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
If you’re not set on Marshall, the St James EL34 from Blackstar might worth checking. The 6L6 is more metal but the EL34 seems to be more pitched as a pedal platform. Plus you have the British EL34 vibe. But maybe Blackstar is a bad word around here. Lol

Amps is amps, so to speak! Any unit that "reliably" provides the performance and tones a player desires, why not?
Just My :2c:,
Gene

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@gtbob109631
What @Gene Ballzz says is quite true to the point, I have had a few of the older Dsl40c’s, only had one of them cut out, but it was a preamp tube, I agree they are great sounding amps, but I would not give up the ghost on it just yet.. it could very well be easily fixed, and yes you should have spare tubes to check minor maintenance issues. And a spare backup amp is not a bad idea.. I currently play through a pair of Dsl40c’s..

Cheers
Mitch

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Get a late production DSL40C but I know you said you don't want a DSL line but that's the closest you'll get to the 40Cr.

The studio series excited me at first but after a honey moon with a SV20H I find they sound small... A lot of Volume and giggiable imo but it lacks a lot of the dynamics of the big boys imo.

If you want a newer amp with a similar sound to that green channel I recommend to check out the Vintage Modern 2266C 2x12.

You may also want to look into the vintage JCM800 2204 1x12 combo, I can't recall the model number.

gtbob109631

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply’s don’t get me wrong. But I’m looking for other amp suggestions, if you read my posts. I know all about the suggested trouble shooting ideas. I’ve been playing for 43 years, I’m an electrician. I’ve researched the issues with this amp, from other users, on Marshall forums. there are many many stories, just punch in Marshall DSL40cr cuts out into your search engine. You will get a lot of stuff. There’s a 9 page forum thread dedicated solely to this amp cutting out, and the massive frustration it has caused gigging musicians
I’ve also talked with my Marshall certified tech. I’ve spent hours upon hours researching this. What I’m asking is, other amp alternatives. That might get me into the sound styles I’ve described above.

LCW

Reaction score
The CR crushes the C… don’t waste you’re time. The dual assignable master is also a CR-only feature. Extremely useful since the clean volume is so damn low.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
So, you want pure 30 to 50watt paired with maximum reliability and as an electrician you are interested in keeping the amp running by yourself.

Then its rather simple.

Turretboard JTM45 or 1987 or similar comboversion.

Yes, more coin, but thats how it goes.