DSL40CR speaker swap.

• Thread starter TMR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMR

Reaction score
Hi all,
Will be receiving the replacement DSL today, I have read that even though as standard the amp gives great tones, if you swap the speaker out for an aftermarket speaker the sound greatly improves?? Is this a thing? Or does it not make too much difference? Is it only something that the pro would notice?
If it is a game changer then what speaker is most thought of to replace for?
Thanks

bhatta

Reaction score
I don't have a 40, but a 20.

Yours will come with a V type? That's supposedly nice but of course can be improved.
I changed my Celestion 70-80, after it was well broken in, with an Eminence and I really like the result.

While I was researching, I came across Eminence GB128 which is Creamback sounding and had great reviews. As an alternate to Celestion I can definitely recommend Eminence.

They make great speakers.

Cheers and HNAD!

TMR

Reaction score
I don't have a 40, but a 20.

Yours will come with a V type? That's supposedly nice but of course can be improved.
I changed my Celestion 70-80, after it was well broken in, with an Eminence and I really like the result.

While I was researching, I came across Eminence GB128 which is Creamback sounding and had great reviews. As an alternate to Celestion I can definitely recommend Eminence.

They make great speakers.

Cheers and HNAD!
Thanks for the reply

svinyard

Reaction score
Lol...this always happens when you get a DSL.

The speaker in the DSL40CR is fine, it's not the crappy Celestion 70-80...that's only the previous C version. It's got the V-Type. I went down the rabbit hole and A/B'd literally 7 different speakers hunting for a more classic/vintage tone but nothing really did it for me enough. The Greenback was good actually as it gave it some of the character I wanted with some of the mid/treble breakup they do but that was only a 25W speaker. The Creamback was fine but too polite in that mid-treble range where I was looking for some sizzle not clean. V30 had tons of grind and tightened the lowend up but it's heavy and I wasn't looking for that tone (it does that already well enough). I'd really have liked to try a Blackback clone from Scumback but those weren't returnable. In the end, I left the stock speaker in there as it's a decent compromise actually. As I was dropping more cash on the DSL (returning stuff via Amazon), I kind just wanted a second amp instead that was more of the 70's/80s tone...which I ended up buying lol. The DSL is my jack of all trades (and gains) amp and my kid plays it so it's a good fit. Leave the stock spekaer in it, it's good enough in my opinion.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Will be receiving the replacement DSL today, I have read that even though as standard the amp gives great tones, if you swap the speaker out for an aftermarket speaker the sound greatly improves?? Is this a thing? Or does it not make too much difference? Is it only something that the pro would notice?
Thanks
Yes, a speaker swap makes a difference, and is something you will notice.
"Greatly improves" / "game changer"? - depends on how you use the amp and what sort of tones you are going for.

V-Type is not a bad speaker, I have a pair that I've used with various amps.
I think it's well balanced and doesn't color the amp tone as much as a lot of other speakers.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of swapping speakers, I'd suggest looking around your local gear sites (CL, FB, etc.) for a deal on something you can re-sell if you don't like.

svinyard

Reaction score
Yes, a speaker swap makes a difference, and is something you will notice.
"Greatly improves" / "game changer"? - depends on how you use the amp and what sort of tones you are going for.

V-Type is not a bad speaker, I have a pair that I've used with various amps.
I think it's well balanced and doesn't color the amp tone as much as a lot of other speakers.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of swapping speakers, I'd suggest looking around your local gear sites (CL, FB, etc.) for a deal on something you can re-sell if you don't like.
You just buy them on Amazon and return it for free (ensure you find a Free-Returns one). Amazon is the best thing since slice bread when it comes to auditioning speakers for your amp! So handy and you can really learn a lot by swapping out 3 at a time back and forth.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
The V-Type is a big improvement over the Seventy/80 that came in the 40C (which is what I have). Although, when I bought mine Sweetwater was running a deal that for the same price you could get the G12M-65 Creamback so I got that - and am really glad I did.

On a lightly different note, my Hot Rod DeVille IV came with Celestion A-Type speakers and I have no intention of swapping those out. I think they sound really good.

TMR

Reaction score
Lol...this always happens when you get a DSL.

The speaker in the DSL40CR is fine, it's not the crappy Celestion 70-80...that's only the previous C version. It's got the V-Type. I went down the rabbit hole and A/B'd literally 7 different speakers hunting for a more classic/vintage tone but nothing really did it for me enough. The Greenback was good actually as it gave it some of the character I wanted with some of the mid/treble breakup they do but that was only a 25W speaker. The Creamback was fine but too polite in that mid-treble range where I was looking for some sizzle not clean. V30 had tons of grind and tightened the lowend up but it's heavy and I wasn't looking for that tone (it does that already well enough). I'd really have liked to try a Blackback clone from Scumback but those weren't returnable. In the end, I left the stock speaker in there as it's a decent compromise actually. As I was dropping more cash on the DSL (returning stuff via Amazon), I kind just wanted a second amp instead that was more of the 70's/80s tone...which I ended up buying lol. The DSL is my jack of all trades (and gains) amp and my kid plays it so it's a good fit. Leave the stock spekaer in it, it's good enough in my opinion.
Ok, I take the hint. Probably my amateur ears wouldn't really notice a difference. We will run with the OG factory v-type. Well, until a point is reached where tinkering just can't be helped anyway.... 🤗

svinyard

Reaction score
Ok, I take the hint. Probably my amateur ears wouldn't really notice a difference. We will run with the OG factory v-type. Well, until a point is reached where tinkering just can't be helped anyway.... 🤗
Hey no shame from me, we've all done it. I'm just trying to save you some cash :)

Reactions: TMR

dryz41

Reaction score
Dsl is great with greenbacks. i turn my combo to head btw. And i use it 2x12 engl with greenbacks in it. İt sounds awesome. İn combo stutiation , you can search for greenback like speakers which > greater than 40wats

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Stick with the V-Type for a while and listen with your ears.
You need to know what the speaker you have lacks (if anything) to know which one will fix it.

I did swap out my V-Type for a Celestion G12 Century Vintage (discontinued).
That was as much for the weight saving of a Neodymium speaker magnet as for the 'upgrade'.
But the V-Type is still in my DSL40CR mix, as I put it in a 112 cab under the combo for a 212 stack setup.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks
Congratulations and happy NAD! They are great amps irrespective of the speaker. I’ve not been able to hear much of a difference between them but then I don’t even use the effects loop, which just goes to show what a philistine I am…