DSL40CRC Vintage Cream with Marshall branded Celestion Vintage speaker

• Thread starter Quint Cunningham
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Quint Cunningham

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Marshall DSL40CRC Vintage. The amplifier is a 2022 production Guitar Center exclusive. It has cream levant and tan basket weave grill cloth. The factory original speaker is a Marshall branded G12 Vintage.

Does anybody else have one of these? Curious about your opinions of this speaker. I understand it to be the "original" version of today's Vintage 30. I think it sounds pretty good.

Thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Marshall DSL40CRC Vintage. The amplifier is a 2022 production Guitar Center exclusive. It has cream levant and tan basket weave grill cloth. The factory original speaker is a Marshall branded G12 Vintage.

Does anybody else have one of these? Curious about your opinions of this speaker. I understand it to be the "original" version of today's Vintage 30. I think it sounds pretty good.

Thanks
:welcome: to the forum.
The Marshall G12 Vintage is often compared to / confused with the V30, but they are not the same speaker.
I don't have a DSL40, but I have a pair of those speakers in a 2x12 cab for a JCM800 50w and I think they sound fantastic.

Quint Cunningham

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I didn't think they were the same speaker but was under the impression that the Vintage 30 had evolved from the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage. Vintage 30s are quite prevalent but I don't see the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage very often. Didn't know they were still being made until I saw these amps.

Deftone

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I didn't think they were the same speaker but was under the impression that the Vintage 30 had evolved from the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage. Vintage 30s are quite prevalent but I don't see the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage very often. Didn't know they were still being made until I saw these amps.
I have eight of them but I swapped them out of my 1960 Vintage cabs. I find them to be a bit buzzy (for lack of a better term) for my taste and with my amps.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I hope your G12 is better than that crummy 80/70 they put in my amp.
It has been replaced with a creamback and never has it sounded better.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage 30s are quite prevalent but I don't see the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage very often. Didn't know they were still being made until I saw these amps.
To the best of my knowledge, they are only available in certain Marshall combos and cabinets. They are not available for retail sales, other than on the used market from people replacing them with other speakers.

Quint Cunningham

Reaction score
Deftone, Mrmadd and fitz,

Thanks for the replies. Mine is not fizzy. In fact I think it sounds good. Interesting that they are not available for individual purchase fitz. This is the first experience I have had with them.

Some people say that the factory installed Vintage 30s in Mesa cabs are the same as these Marshall G12 Vintage. That is to say, even though labeled as Vintage 30s they are not the same as regular production Vintage 30s but rather a Marshall G12 Vintage with a Vintage 30 label. I have no idea...never owned a Mesa.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Some people say that the factory installed Vintage 30s in Mesa cabs are the same as these Marshall G12 Vintage. That is to say, even though labeled as Vintage 30s they are not the same as regular production Vintage 30s but rather a Marshall G12 Vintage with a Vintage 30 label. I have no idea...never owned a Mesa.
I have 90's Mesa versions of the V30 and 80's versions of the Marshall Vintage. They sound close but not exactly the same. The Mesa version is less bright. The Marshall version is maybe a little more relaxed in the mids than the Mesa version, and especially the standard Celestion version, with more lower mids. But we are talking subtle differences. Although my 8 ohm Marshall versions do remind me of clips of alinico speakers more.

I liked the DSL better with the Marshall Vintage or the V30 than with G12T75s.

Quint Cunningham

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I had A DSL40CR previously that had switching issues. I know it's not a V30 but that amp had a Celestion V-Type. No issues with the V-Type. Liked it well enough but I think this Marshall G12 Vintage sounds better.

mrscott44

Reaction score

Thanks
I have one too. I was recently going to replace the speaker with a Vintage 30 while I replaced the speaker in my DSL20CR. I was shocked when I opened the back to see the Marshall logo instead of Celestion, and that it was made in the UK not China. Needless to say it’s NOT getting replaced. If you look at the Marshall website for the DSL40, it says a V Type speaker comes standard, and the picture they have of the back you can make out the label of a typical Celestion V Type, NOT the label on the one in the DSL40CRC.

nasticanasta

Reaction score

Thanks
I just got a brand new one, I think the ultra gain channel is fizzy. The classic gain channel sounds great...I'm thinking of putting a ecc823 in V1 to tame the fizz