DSL50 Is This Bias Low? *PIC Included*

• Thread starter dinkyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my DSL50 and after doing some riffs I decided to check the bias. The previous owner said they are new tubes and were "properly biased by a certified Marshall tech"

I had the amp on for about 10 minutes and checked the bias. This is what I got:

Bias.jpg

The tubes are JJ el34's. My MM is set right as far as I know....I should be reading 40-45 mV.....right? Or should I have the amp on for longer? After all it is about 60 deg. in my basement..

dinkyguitar

thrawn86

Reaction score
Did you leave it On and in Standby for about 30 minutes?

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
No...the standby switch was in the off position for about 10 minutes...so I got no reading on the MM. Then after 10 minutes if flipped the standby to ON, hooked up the meter and it settled at 33.6 - 33.7. It kept drifting or hovering around this figure...Is that normal?

dinkyguitar

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
So I played it for over 30 minutes, checked the bias and it went up to 34.4 on each side.

dinkyguitar

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd say 37 per side is alright. that seems a tad cool to me but, it shouldn't hurt it. too high will be mushy, too low will be stiff so if it feels good there it should be okay i think. hard to say not knowing your current readings.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
If the plate voltage is in the 465 vdc range, you should bring that bias value up a little. Without knowing what the plate voltage is, its hard to tell what you should set it to as the JCM2000 power transformers can have a lot of variance. I've seen plate voltages on those amps vary from 450vdc to 500vdc.

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
What's involved with getting plate voltage?

From what I've read, you need to take the chassis out, flip it upside down, clip a neg lead on the chassis, and put a probe to pin 3 on "one" of the power tubes..the take 70% of that...Not sure what the formula is to get your mV..

Sound right?

If so, how do you find pin 3 on the tubes?

1 other question, how long does it take for power to drain from the caps?

dinkyguitar

Ken

Reaction score
People set the bias all over the map on these, from mid high 30's up to the maximum 45. I have mine on 43. You won't hurt anything at 33 but you'll find the amp come to life if you bias it a touch higher. Play the amp a half hour before making adjustments.

Ken

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

Ken, I originally took my bias reading after 10 minutes...but later that night, I played it for over a half hour, and took a reading again. On the second time I came up with 34.4.

dinkyguitar