• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

EHX Metal Muff

• Thread starter dirtyhippie08
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhippie08

Reaction score
Anyone using the ehx metal muff pedal? I live in an apt so playing at a crushing level is kool for about 30 seconds. I have a jcm2000 tsl602. It has a master volume so I can get the tone I want at a lower volume. My prob is the metal muff is such a high gain pedal, all I get is noise at the lower master volume levels. Ive tried workin the pedal and the amp but cant seem to get anything more than a massive background of hiss with a distant sound of the pedal. Do I have a bad pedal or just my lower volume settings don't mesh well with the pedal? Thanx.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I used one for years and loved it. It sounded great with my PV Classic 50 at low volumes and it sounded great with my Rebel when I had it, but when I got my Class 5 it sounded the way you described. Dailing the gain down and using like a boost was better, but I still not what I was looking for....and yeah, it can be noisy.

I used to keep the gain around noon to one o'clock with the eq all below noon and I would goose it with an OD pedal set as a boost. The eq on those detents (< right word?) at noon and it's cut or boost from there.

dirtyhippie08

Reaction score
I am using this pedal with a marshall tsl602 and a p90's equipped les paul. I had some luck with turning the gain down and the volume up. Its just gonna take some more apt. level tweakin to get the sound I want. Its in there but the noise distracts me. Thanx for the help!

12barjunkie

Reaction score
I have one and love it! I only use it on my clean channel, not as a boost for my dirty channel. It used to be noisy as hell until I plugged my pedal board into the same outlet as my amp.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hate the metal muff. Got rid of it as fast as I could (traded it for a EHX Wylde OD - its ok). Now for those metal moments I overdrive my amp and kick in any number of OD pedals I own to go metal.