Electric players - your favorite cheap acoustic?

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve always been a diehard electric player. I have owned one nylon string and one steel string acoustic in the 34 years I’ve been playing. So I’m just curious, for those of you that are dedicated electric guitarists, what affordable, utilitarian acoustic is your go-to?

I’m talking about the kind of acoustic you just have for those random moments you’re not able to wail on an electric, that you have just because you should have one. The kind you have when you can’t justify a $2000+ acoustic.

For me, it’s my Guild GAD-50. I got it for a bit over $400 used, sometime in the early 2010’s. It sounds and plays really nice, and it has been super stable over the time I’ve owned it. I’ll tack on a pic once I get home today.

Edit: here it is
IMG_0930.jpeg

Last edited:

Stefan_E

Reaction score
When I was looking for a steel string I played maybe 50 different in a few stores. Out of all of them the Taylor's were the most consistently good. No one of theirs sounded off in the slightest to me, and they all felt great. So I picked up a Taylor 214 and it's still with me. A very fine instrument.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
The one I play most is a Tanglewood OT4 VCE
Open D tuning, feels old, good bass.
Would look better with a few dings so I can leave it out.

I have a Tanglewood TW5 Koa that I dont play because it is too pretty
and a Tanglewood TW Mini E Koa that I dont like because it is too bright but it is a good size to play while watching telly.

Derek S

Reaction score
I've got one of those cheap nylon classical "Estaban" guitars from the cheesy infomercials ages ago (a friends kid got it as a gift, he didn't stick with guitar so they gave it to me)...with decent strings and natural bathroom acoustics, I've had some legendary shit-house performances with it.

PelliX

Reaction score
Yamaha APX. I have a battered old APX500, myself. Cheap enough not worry about, plays well enough that it's fun at times. A "fairly good" acoustic for some delicate recording work is on the list - and I'd certainly try a few better Yamaha's again, I like their necks. The Tanglewoods are made in China so QC is pretty hit and miss, but if you get a good one, they're nice. My drummer bought one and we've used it on a few both tracks. Like the Yamaha, the piezo is crap, but mic'ed it works.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ibanez Artwood series all mahogany. Bought it new for $300 around 10 years ago.

7ox6EPW.jpg

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yamaha APX. I have a battered old APX500, myself. Cheap enough not worry about, plays well enough that it's fun at times. A "fairly good" acoustic for some delicate recording work is on the list - and I'd certainly try a few better Yamaha's again, I like their necks. The Tanglewoods are made in China so QC is pretty hit and miss, but if you get a good one, they're nice. My drummer bought one and we've used it on a few both tracks. Like the Yamaha, the piezo is crap, but mic'ed it works.
For the money, it’s hard to beat a Yamaha acoustic. When I was a guitar tech, I did dozens of setups on them. My impression was that whey were difficult to abuse to the point of being unplayable, and that they sounded good.

Kuga

Reaction score
I love nylon strings acoustic guitars. My favorite acoustic it's a 2001 Manuel Raimundo. I bought It new. It's not a cheap guitar but If you compare It with an acoustic Gibson it's cheap. It has a Fishman preamp and piezoelectric pickup.

IMG_20190408_184733_651_copy_1508x2016.jpg

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Beat up early '70's Gibson Gospel. It needs a neck reset but I still play it. It's a totally different sound than my J-45.

I've heard multiple times that these '70's Gibson acoustics were terrible online. My ears must be broken because I think this one sounds great. I will also say that I did try out a '70's J50 locally and it was just dead sounding. I mean really flat...

Either ways it was $599. I don't mind if it gets a ding on it...

As far as new goes, I will always say Yamaha is the way to go.

Attachments

• 20230703_120351.jpg
    20230703_120351.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 3

jmp45

Reaction score
I went acoustic for a short stint in the mid 70s, all electric after that. I picked up this 72 Ovation Electric Artist for around $350 in 73 or 74. Plays great but definitely not the tone of a Martin.

Ovation-1972-Electric-Artist-Front.jpg

Been playing electrics since til about a few weeks ago. Saw some clips of Paul Smith presenting his chicom Angelus A60 and decided to throw some $ at it. Mid $900.. Pricier but the tone is amazing, Fishman pickup and preamp is very nice, all hidden. The top resonates amazing, absolutely no regrets on this deal.

PRS-SE-A60-Front.jpg

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I went acoustic for a short stint in the mid 70s, all electric after that. I picked up this 72 Ovation Electric Artist for around $350 in 73 or 74. Plays great but definitely not the tone of a Martin.

Ovation-1972-Electric-Artist-Front.jpg

Been playing electrics since til about a few weeks ago. Saw some clips of Paul Smith presenting his chicom Angelus A60 and decided to throw some $ at it. Mid $900.. Pricier but the tone is amazing, Fishman pickup and preamp is very nice, all hidden. The top resonates amazing, absolutely no regrets on this deal.

PRS-SE-A60-Front.jpg

I love all of that. I could spend hours in there. That SG I really find appealing.

The Ovation is just plain cool.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I also have a Guild. I can't comment on it as far as tone goes (haven't played). It has a extremely poorly done headstock repair. I'll have it properly repaired when the local shop slows down.

I found it at a yard sale for $25 about two years ago. It was made in 1980. I have played one years ago that did sound good. I have this thing about saving misfit or abused guitars or gear...

Attachments

• 20220930_212501.jpg
    20220930_212501.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 5

Eric'45

Reaction score
I'm mainly an Electric player. But I'm sometimes shocked how cheaply you can get awesome acoustics. At least here in Germany, I don't know about the situation in the US.
There are quite a few very small, unknown luthiers that are not as well known as Framus, Höfner or Martin- and their guitars get sold for 50€ or even cheaper. Real Vintage Instruments built by real Luthiers out of the best woods- and they go for the exact same prices as the modern day beginner- acoustic- laminated- garbage. Not to generalize too much here, there are godd examples of the one as there are bad examples of the other- but every now and then some of these acoustics that were once very expensive and hand built by real luthiers get sold by clueless sellers. Everybody can google what a 1959 Les Paul is worth nowadays- but with these unknown "brands" you can get lucky, still.

That Guitar was as cheap as it gets- it was a gift to me when I was 9 years old and playing Guitar for- Idk, maybe for 3 years.
It has an Old growth Honduran Mahogany Neck, massive Sides and Back of flamed Maple, and a massive spruce top. Luckily, it was in very good condition, and it's flawless. Masterbuilt by a Bavarian Luthier in 1975. The intricate Innlays around the soundholes kinda say it all...

acoustic.jpgacc3.jpg