Epiphone Help

• Thread starter msgdman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

msgdman

Reaction score
I bought an Epi Les Paul Custom, and it was missing the knob for the selector switch. I have now ordered two replacements and neither are big enough to screw on it. What size do I need? Here is what I bought:

M3.5 x .6 - common Epiphone - switch lever diameter is 3.5mm or approx. 1/8"

M4.0 x .7 - common Japanese switch - switch lever diameter is 4mm or approx. 5/32"

Mr Jones

Reaction score
I think its 3.5 mm or 4.0 mm , a Gibson switch tip is bigger , maybe you have a different switch .

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Well, it's hard to say because we don't know the year is your Epi Custom and the switch tip could be any size...but if worst comes to worst, and you want a switch tip, you may have to consider buying a whole new 3-way selector switch...maybe from Switchcraft.;)

;>)/

Hogie34

Reaction score
As stated above, we need the year. The Korean made Epiphones used completely different electronics from the Chinese made Epi's. Like Blacksg91 said, replacing the switch altogether is your best bet since Epiphones use less than desirable electronics to cut costs. Not trying to bash your guitar or anything like that, but you'd be amazed how much better your Epiphone will sound with some simple replacements like your selector switch, tone and volume Potts.

msgdman

Reaction score
As stated above, we need the year. The Korean made Epiphones used completely different electronics from the Chinese made Epi's. Like Blacksg91 said, replacing the switch altogether is your best bet since Epiphones use less than desirable electronics to cut costs. Not trying to bash your guitar or anything like that, but you'd be amazed how much better your Epiphone will sound with some simple replacements like your selector switch, tone and volume Potts.

Its a late 90's Epi, bought it recently just to try them out, have had many Gibsons over the years. I am very impressed with this guitar, and at $350 you cant beat it. I used to hate the headstock but that is growing on me also, all in all a very good guitar for the money.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I may just order an accurate switch and replace it.

what color do you want?
you can't find gold switchtip in Standard measurements & most of the imports won't fit either. it's like 4.5mm or 5.5mm. I just did it but can't remember which.:scratch:
these guys have just about everything plus good prices & quick shipping.:yesway:
Knobs - Switch Tips - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

my advice-
replace the Epi switch w/ a Switchcraft one. you'll have to ream out the hole with a reamer or a bit w/ sandpaper.
Which toggle-switch to buy for Epiphone Les Paul Custom? - MyLesPaul.com

Gibson USA standard size is 8/32" which is the same as 1/4" (not sure why they do that) which = 6.35mm

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Does this help:

Its a late 90's Epi, bought it recently just to try them out, have had many Gibsons over the years. I am very impressed with this guitar, and at $350 you cant beat it. I used to hate the headstock but that is growing on me also, all in all a very good guitar for the money.

Ahhh! I beat you to it! I have a 2006 Epi LP Standard (ebony) that I did a cash and carry deal at a pawn shop for $300 (NO TAX) with an SKB hardshell case included back in 2013!:slash: My Epiphone is a real winner and the headstock looks great with Gibson deluxe tuners which I swapped with my Gibson LP Studio which now sport the Grovers. They look better on a Gibson headstock, but on an Epi headstock, they look slightly bulky, but it's no real issue.;) I'm glad you are enjoying you're guitar and I can feel your Epiphone love...fo sho!:wub2:

;>)/

Latest posts