Favorite Slash Amp?

• Thread starter crossroadsnyc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
So, Slash has had a few signature Marshall amps over the years ... which has been your favorite?

I acquired a SL5 last year in a trade, and it's really grown on me as one of my favorite amps of all time ... the tone is just spectacular for low volume playing! In fact, I've enjoyed it so much, that I've had to talk myself off the ledge of putting my YJM100 up for a trade to acquire the AFD100 to go along with it (though, I'm afraid I'd regret it in the long run).

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
An excellent Slash post!😊 I will have a SL5 sooner or later (preferably sooner!)

I'm always respectful of people having their own preferences in amps, so I try to avoid pimping my favorites, but I've made an exception in this case since I think it's really that good. It's just a really fun amp to play through. If you can find one, I'd snag it!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Slash has had a few signature Marshall amps over the years ... which has been your favorite?

I acquired a SL5 last year in a trade, and it's really grown on me as one of my favorite amps of all time ... the tone is just spectacular for low volume playing! In fact, I've enjoyed it so much, that I've had to talk myself off the ledge of putting my YJM100 up for a trade to acquire the AFD100 to go along with it (though, I'm afraid I'd regret it in the long run).

Curious if you've tried different a power tube (specs say one EL34).
Can you use anything other than the usual equivalents?
If only there was a head version... :hmm:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

The amp still has the original tubes in it from when @Vinsanitizer bought it new ... sounds great to me as is, so haven't felt the need to experiment w/what I have on hand (some JJ's).

LCW

Reaction score
Haven’t played any of his amps, although would love to try an AFD. But I do have a mini Jubilee (ie 2525H) that I really love.

lespaul6

Reaction score
I have both and like them equally .. the afd does not require an outboard boost/eq .

NoelH

Reaction score
I like playing through Jubilees, though I find I have to keep the treble low.
Honestly, after AFD, I never liked Slash's tone. It became rather harsh and shrill. And I like several of the songs on his work with Miles and the Conspirators. But it seems like his tone has become increasingly harsh over the years.

kman

Reaction score
Not thinking I am good enough to play any real Slash riffs.
He is awesome.
Think I have a small piece of the Slash tone here somewhere with one of those Marshall's that are sitting here.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ironically Slash has just signed a deal with Magnatone.

Back on topic I'm a big fan of the AFD100 and the 2555.

Peace

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, IIRC this was the first of the cathode bias amps that let you drop any octal based tube in. I had a conversation with @santiall who designed the amp and he said "anything should work". At the time I was wanting to try mine with a KT66. It worked fine but I prefer the tone of the vintage Tesla E34L I have in there now.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the sound of this amp. Would love to have one.

My SC800 sounds just like it especially using the Lynch Module which I leave in all the time. The tone in the vids and what I dial in sound a lot a like. The Gold/Blue loaded 212 been using sure reinforces that awesome Marshall stringy kerrang on top and barky/snarly bottom while saturating.

I've always liked the SL5. Would have bought one at the time had I not sniveled about the low wattage. I use to abhor low volume playing. Even practicing. Now I'm very much more open to finding ways to use amps. My ear drums have drawn that line in the sand. Love SL5's voicing.

Think I would want to get a AFD100. I was definitely attracted to it but didn't have the money at the time.

Last edited:

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
I put a NOS 6CA7 in mine, with a vintage Mullard 12AX7 in v1, it sounds fantastic... :)

Edit: Honestly, I have never thought of my SL-5 as a "Slash amp", even though it has his signature on it, LOL. It is just a great sounding Marshall to me. I have never tried to get "Slash tones" from the amp, I just dial it in how it sounds good to me. *shrug