• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

First tube amp!!! Please help

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
Marshall origin 50c
Marshall dsl40cr
Fender hot rod deluxe iv
Fender bassbreaker 30r
Hi everyone please help me I'm stuck between these 4 amps, i play slow blues to hard rock and sometimes metal.
So my question is which two amps from these 4 amps i should get?
I'm looking for a cleans with body and round tone like smooth blues tone all the way to tight distortion tone like acdc, black Sabbath, guns n roses and Zeppelin alike. So again which 2 amps from these two will cover everything tonally from slow blues to hard rock?
Thank you for your time and help

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshall origin 50c
Marshall dsl40cr
Fender hot rod deluxe iv
Fender bassbreaker 30r
Hi everyone please help me I'm stuck between these 4 amps, i play slow blues to hard rock and sometimes metal.
I'm looking for a cleans with body and round tone like smooth blues tone all the way to tight distortion tone like acdc, black Sabbath, guns n roses and Zeppelin alike. So again which 2 amps from these two will cover everything tonally from slow blues to hard rock?
:cheers:
:welcome: To the forum
I happen to own the Dsl40c, and the Origin 50H can’t go wrong with those.
But your ears are going to be the final judge on that call.
Cheers to your incoming amp brother.
Mitch

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
The Origin might struggle to get the dirtier tones without being extremely loud.
Never owned a Fender amp, so I'm no use there.
My vote goes to the DSL40CR ('coz I own one).
The 4 channel modes should cover all your needs, and more.
So my plan is to get 1 amp for good pristine round warm clean tones and second for distortion which covers from classic rock to modern rock tones.
So dsl40 is your vote and which 2nd amp should i get?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so now dsl and hot rod
But do you think i should change the speaker of a dsl? cuz i heard stock speaker is very harsh and trebly.
Try it and see what you think yourself. Some guys on here like the 70/80 speaker.
Myself I would put a G12-65 or G12M-65 Creamback in it.
You can't go wrong with a Marshall for dirt and a Fender for cleans when it comes to valve amps.

mirrorman

Reaction score
I have used the Hot Rod Deluxe and DSL 40C to gig with, which is to say the HRD for songs needing clean and the DSL for songs needing crunch. I used a Radial Twin City ABY to switch between the two. I changed out the stock 70/80 speaker in the DSL to a Vintage 30 and in my opinion the amp took on a new life. Those two amps covered all of the bases I needed to cover live (with some help from a pedalboard of course).

Iron1

Reaction score
To put a fly in your ointment, how about a DSL20HR and two cabinets, each cab with different speaker(s) to get you your cleans/grits. A 20 can get plenty loud enough, especially with PA reinforcement. Then a simple cab switcher pedal alognside the DSL footswitch and boom, you're there.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with my good buddy @Mitchell Pearrow,....both the Dsl40cr and the Origin50 would be great choices! I think that since you have "Metal" on your list of music styles you play, the better choice might be the Dsl. Mainly because it's got that heavier, thick, modern tones without using pedals. You'll need pedals to get there with the Origin, not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

But Mitch would know more than me about the particulars, he owns both amps.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get the DSL 40 and the bassbreaker 30. Between the two they can cover everything, even apart they're each capable of going from clean to fully mean.

Edit:. The Bassbreaker has the best cleans I've heard in an inexpensive amp. And both the DSL and Bassbreaker have some really good high Gain sounds

Last edited:

Listogast

Reaction score
The DSL40 would fit everything you're looking for. Great clean tones, great distortion. Very versatile over all.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Marshall origin 50c
Marshall dsl40cr
Fender hot rod deluxe iv
Fender bassbreaker 30r
I'm thinking get the DSL and Hot Rod for variety sake. :yesway:

Last edited:

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
I'm down for dsl but I'm confused between bassbreaker 30r and hot rod deluxe iv

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'll add another vote to the DSL40, I played the DSL40Cr for only afew hours but I was capable of getting the full spectrum of clean to mean with all the Marshall flavor... They are nice versitile amps.

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
I'll add another vote to the DSL40, I played the DSL40Cr for only afew hours but I was capable of getting the full spectrum of clean to mean with all the Marshall flavor... They are nice versitile amps.
What about fender hot rod deluxe iv vs fender bassbreaker 30r

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
What about fender hot rod deluxe iv vs fender bassbreaker 30r
Its been awhile since I've played a Hot Rod Deluxe but I remember it being less Fender sounding than other models in the Fender line up. I have yet to play a Bassbreaker so I can't comment there.

I can say if you like the "Marshall sound" the DSL40 can cover all your requirements. You'll have to be the final judge but out of the options you gave I vote for that.

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I've played a Hot Rod Deluxe but I remember it being less Fender sounding than other models in the Fender line up. I have yet to play a Bassbreaker so I can't comment there.

I can say if you like the "Marshall sound" the DSL40 can cover all your requirements. You'll have to be the final judge but out of the options you gave I vote for that.
Thanks for the help but I'm gonna buy two so that's why i asked you about the second option.

Latest posts