From Zero to Two Marshalls in One Week

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I can hardly believe it. Just days after I buy my first Marshall, a JMP 2203 from 1977, a killer deal for a 1973 JMP 1959 falls into my lap, so I bought it.

The 1959 is in cosmetically rough shape but the only mod done to it is a phase inverter master volume that is installed in an input jack hole, and the impedance selector has been hard wired to individual output jacks. All easily reversible stuff.

The plan for this particular amp is to restore it to be as close as possible to the amp it was when it was new in 1973.

Since no holes or irreversible alternations have been added to it, it satisfied my criteria for being fully restorable. So I bought it.

Sourmash will restore the head cabinet, the mods will be reverted, and due to the poor general condition of the metal panels, they're going to be replaced but the originals will be included with the amp when/if I decide to sell it.

Component wise, it looks like I need to source five mustard caps if I'm to truly restore it to its original configuration. But apparently, people who have NOS examples seem to think that they're going to retire on what they hope to get for them. It's going to cost a bit to replace all five. More likely I'll put in Sozos and call it good.

Given the amount of rust and corrosion on the chassis and transformers, this will never be mistaken for a new old stock amp that's never been out of its original shipping carton, but it'll be a good example in (restored to) stock condition and cosmetically in as new condition.

I am going to explore some options for cleaning the chassis as well as is practical, short of a complete teardown and having the metalwork refiinished to factory specs. That'd be expensive.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that’s quite a week!

Congrats on the amps! :thumb:

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Mustards are cheap. 8-12USD a piece.

I wouldn't go all out on this amp as 73 can be had for less than a reissue, 2k -2k5 for a handwired model and less for PCB. If it were me Id sell and just buy a clean one if that's what your are looking for.

Please post the pics!

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I can hardly believe it. Just days after I buy my first Marshall, a JMP 2203 from 1977, a killer deal for a 1973 JMP 1959 falls into my lap, so I bought it.

The 1959 is in cosmetically rough shape but the only mod done to it is a phase inverter master volume that is installed in an input jack hole, and the impedance selector has been hard wired to individual output jacks. All easily reversible stuff.

The plan for this particular amp is to restore it to be as close as possible to the amp it was when it was new in 1973.

Since no holes or irreversible alternations have been added to it, it satisfied my criteria for being fully restorable. So I bought it.

Sourmash will restore the head cabinet, the mods will be reverted, and due to the poor general condition of the metal panels, they're going to be replaced but the originals will be included with the amp when/if I decide to sell it.

Component wise, it looks like I need to source five mustard caps if I'm to truly restore it to its original configuration. But apparently, people who have NOS examples seem to think that they're going to retire on what they hope to get for them. It's going to cost a bit to replace all five. More likely I'll put in Sozos and call it good.

Given the amount of rust and corrosion on the chassis and transformers, this will never be mistaken for a new old stock amp that's never been out of its original shipping carton, but it'll be a good example in (restored to) stock condition and cosmetically in as new condition.

I am going to explore some options for cleaning the chassis as well as is practical, short of a complete teardown and having the metalwork refiinished to factory specs. That'd be expensive.

Congrats. But why “restore” the cabinet? It may look prettier but all it does is takes the street cred away and devalues the amp. If I truly couldn’t stand to look at it I would have sourmash make a totally new cabinet and keep the old beat one in the closet in case I wanted to sell. I’d be surprised if a new cab cost much more than redoing the original.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Why restore the cabinet? Because it looks like ass! It's been spray painted white and all the trim is somewhere between tarnished, corroded, painted gold, oversprayed white, and in general it just looks like total trailer trash. The hardware is either non-original (I have no idea WHAT those corners should be on!) or spray painted brown, or both.

There's no way that such a boogered up, badly done job can possibly do anything but reduce the value.

The '77 2203 is in much better shape. I did a few small patches on the tolex and it's perfectly satisfactory to me now.

I like my stuff looking good.

neikeel

Reaction score
It's been spray painted white and all the trim is somewhere between tarnished, corroded, painted gold.

There's no way that such a boogered up, badly done job can possibly do anything but reduce the value.

The '77 2203 is in much better shape. I did a few small patches on the tolex and it's perfectly satisfactory to me now.

I like my stuff looking good.

That is fine but very carefully save the gold tadpole and string - as restorers we find that stuff hard to replace, same with handles and the caps. You may like shiny and new but an old recovered amp will keep some of it's patina if you reuse these.

If you find a source of metal panels (particularly fronts) please share with all. I managed to score a NOS Superlead panel a few years ago that I have just put on a '71 resto. Sadly I am going to have to recover the head as it was covered in felt PA cab cloth:eek:.
I am having to use a repro front from Modulus Amps but will keep looking for an original.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I AM a source of replica/repro metal panels! Or I will be in a few days. I'm connected to a sign printer that prints on metal every day. I have the 4 input model graphics and actually this week we're going to run a test piece and check it for fit and appearance. When my gold anodized brush finished aluminum stock comes in, this week, I'll be able to go to print maybe on the same day. I will be sure to post pics!

I already do reproduction silk screened panels for silverface 12 knob Fender Twin Reverbs. I've made some for my own restorations but haven't marketed the panels yet. Those are much more labor intensive than any Marshall panel. As time allows I'll be expanding to other Fender models as well. It's the jewel finishing process that's time consuming.

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
I AM a source of replica/repro metal panels! Or I will be in a few days. I'm connected to a sign printer that prints on metal every day. I have the 4 input model graphics and actually this week we're going to run a test piece and check it for fit and appearance. When my gold anodized brush finished aluminum stock comes in, this week, I'll be able to go to print maybe on the same day. I will be sure to post pics!

I already do reproduction silk screened panels for silverface 12 knob Fender Twin Reverbs. I've made some for my own restorations but haven't marketed the panels yet. Those are much more labor intensive than any Marshall panel. As time allows I'll be expanding to other Fender models as well. It's the jewel finishing process that's time consuming.
Please let me know it you get your plate i have JMP 2104 from 1977 that i want tonput a faceplate and can not find it anywhere!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
No, but that looks better than mine does, that's for sure.

I've decided that my head will be recovered in purple because the period correct '73 black pattern isn't available, or so sayeth the good people at Sour Mash Cabs. Oh, they have other black patterns, but not THAT one. They do, however, have purple in a period correct pattern and I just like the idea of making it purple.

Latest posts