Fs: 1953 Fender Tweed Deluxe 5b3

Reaction score
Excellent 1953 Fender Tweed Deluxe 5B3, SN 6851, known for the creamiest, sweetest tone to be had. This amplifier exudes Fender aura, history, and “Mojo” -- qualities which cannot be reproduced, and is in fantastic operating condition,

Cosmetically, it shows its age; the tweed has a warm glow to it, though any rough edges are mainly on the front. The grill has faded to a beige, and the control panel is still very shiny with no rust. Chicken head knobs are in great shape. The handle is a non-original leather one, and the power cord has been upgraded to a grounded unit for safety. The speaker is a Jensen Alnico 5 PM Concert Series P12Q; it sounds fantastic, as only a 1950’s speaker would, and I have only used the amp at home.

The amp was properly checked out, cleaned, and inspected by a professional amp tech and given a clean bill of health by the previous owner before he shipped it out, to ensure outstanding performance and trouble-free operation. For the protection of the amp and to ensure its longevity, all necessary cap changes have been made, using only top quality components (such as Sprague Atom caps). It is always advisable to have the amp inspected before operation, and with periodic checkups.

Rundown of Components:

• Original cabinet and tweed covering, shows its age

• Original transformers:
  • Triad SN 6452
  • Secondary transformer SN 022640 -606-6-46

• Speaker Jensen Alnico 5 P12Q SN 220044 secondary code ST673 P12Q C1963

• Caps are newer Sprague Atoms; most else appears original.

• Tubes:
  • Vintage 5Y3GT Sylvania USA
  • 6v6GT (2) Russian Electro Harmonix made in Oct. And Nov. 1999
  • Vintage 6SC7 (2) Sylvania USA

• Original control panel and chicken head knobs

• Power cord is newer

• Leather handle is newer

ASKING $3,150 / OBO PLUS SHIPPING TO CONUS AND PAYPAL FEES
OR PICKUP IN THE PHILADELPHIA METRO AREA
PM WITH ANY QUESTIONS

Here are some photos and a link to the Imgur album
QNttsDJl.jpg

4xTsPRZl.jpg

Gfl24eul.jpg

TBftEmOl.jpg

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/vHZMc

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
  • Original transformers:
  • Triad SN 6452
If it "is" the original power transformer:
This amp was made in 1964. As a matter of fact, December of 1964.

The output transformer code indicates February 1966.

The speaker indicates 1960.

This amp model was produced 1948-1967.

Also if the amp was made in 1950s, the capacitors ground would be soldered directly to the chassis.
Which it is not.

And so I see nothing to indicate that this amp was made any earlier than 1964. Although, it is a sweet amp for sure.

Is there any letters stamped inside the chassis?
For example: " NL " stamped inside the chassis in ink? Or, stamped on the wood of the cabinet?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This amp is Serial number 6851...Please see the section on this website http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm ..early ones did not have letters

Deluxe 5A3, 5B3 (tweed)
001 to 800 - 1948
800 to 1900 - 1949
1900 to 3000 - 1950
3000 to 5400 - 1951
5400 to 6800 - 1952
6800 to 7300 - 1953

"The speaker indicates 1960." http://www.guitarhq.com/pots.html Right: Same thing here. Jensen (220) speaker made in the 41st week of 1959 (941).
pots2.jpg
pots3.jpg

https://www.tedweber.com/speaker-codes-application/
Speaker Codes And What They Mean

TW-Speaker-code.gif

The picture is a section of the basket rim of a speaker. The 6 digit code indicates what manufacturer made the speaker and when it was made. It is called the 'Manufacture Date Code'.

So, the speaker in the image above would have been made by Jensen (220) during the 27th week of 1951 or 1961. The year is confusing because it is only a single digit.

From a thread on AMPAGE: “Deluxes were equipped with Triad 6452 transformers, but these are power transformers. I believe till 1955 they were mounted in stand up position, since 1956 in lay down position, still Triad. “

And so I see nothing to indicate that this amp was made any earlier than 1964. Although, it is a sweet amp for sure. http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-wide-panel-tweed-deluxe/

This amp was made in 1964. As a matter of fact, December of 1964.

The output transformer code indicates February 1966.

The speaker indicates 1960.

This amp model was produced 1948-1967.

Also if the amp was made in 1950s, the capacitors ground would be soldered directly to the chassis.
Which it is not.

And so I see nothing to indicate that this amp was made any earlier than 1964. Although, it is a sweet amp for sure.

Is there any letters stamped inside the chassis?
For example: " NL " stamped inside the chassis in ink? Or, stamped on the wood of the cabinet?

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
The website you refer to contradicts information provided by Fender.

There are no real records of the actual serial numbers, you have to look at the stamps on the transformers and the stamp ink letters inside the chassis.

(as I recall due to a fire much of the original information is now lost)

"Dating early Fender amplifiers is sometimes quite challenging. While dating Fender amps made before 1994 by serial number is all but impossible (as records of these numbers were never kept)..."

An ink stamp of: "AD" indicates April of 1951. This stamp could be found on the cabinet, label, or chassis.
"CJ" indicates October of 1953.

Transformer: 3 or 4 numbers
"If four digits are present, the first two digits refer to the year (i.e., a “66” would mean 1966)."
"The last two digits refer to the week of the year (i.e., a “26” would mean the 26th week or, roughly, June)"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clips and recording info:

Info:
Guitars were straight into the amp, no effects
Recorded through a Sennheiser md421 into a sebatron 4000e preamp running into a drawmer DL441 compressor with very light compression and then recorded into Logic X

There are 6 sections of the recording. The first three are with a 2006 R8 with Sheptone Tributes and an RS guitar works kit. The first bit is with the amp on 5 and runs cleanly through all 3 pickup combos. The second is with the amp on 7 and the treble setting. The third is with the amp on 8.5 and I roll the volume knob back halfway at the end

The second set of 3 is through an MJT tele parts caster with Peter Florence TE50 pickups
Used the middle position throughout I believe. Amp settings are 5, 7.5, and 9 respectively

gtone

Reaction score
Had a '51 5A3 which also had the same OT replaced with one from the '60's. It's entirely possible the original OT burnt out somewhere in the last 63 yrs of this amps' life.

To the guy who thinks this amp was built no earlier than '64, that assumption only proves he's knows sweet tweet about Fender Tweed amp history as this is clearly an early '50's Deluxe wide panel amp. Components like transformers, pots, tubes, caps and resistors need changing from time to time to keep these old girls running, obviously, so dating an amp by its' constituent components is a poor way to date it. Instead, look at the circuit layout and topology, the design and condition of the cab, chassis, component layout, etc along with the SN and data sheet in order to make an educated guess of what you're looking at here. Hell, the octal pre/PI tubes alone should give you a clue, as these were done away with in later Deluxes in favour of the newer nine-pin equivalents.

FWIW, I believe the speaker very easily could be a '51.

GLWS

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
If there was a 2- letter code stamped in the chassis or on the label in the cabinet, it would be more convincing.
But so far I'm not too convinced.
It's Fender corp that told you not to rely on serial numbers for dating.