Fuzz Pedal recommendations

• Thread starter dexter74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dexter74

Reaction score
Want to get one for the Class 5. Any recommendations, and do fuzz pedals work well with the C5? Been looking at MXR Classic Fuzz M108 or maybe Fulltone Soulbender. Open to suggestions.

Regards.

V-man

Reaction score
I am a complete noob to fuzz, but my Analog Man Sun Lion should be arriving today (their sun face fuzz and a treble boost in one enclosure). I can tell you how that fares through a 1w JMP later, but no dice for a C5.

With fuzz, you are going to want to figure out your expectations (if possible) and whether you want fuzz or a muff. I have heard some people less than enthused by the M108, and I am not a huge fan of Fulltone pedals. You can always try some EXH muffs and the MXR fuzzface/M108 offerings at GC then decide if they work or you want to return for a higher-end unit.

byrdparis

Reaction score
i've got the fulltone 70th some weeks ago to per with my amptweaker tight rock for that EJ violin sound.
im playing thru class5 also..
sound good to me. but; i never heard others (fuzze's) in my set up so YMMV

dexter74

Reaction score
The Blue Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face kicks ass dude !!!!

Think the MXR Classic Fuzz M108 is the same thing as the JHFF circuit wise, just a smaller footprint, and it has LED on/off indicator and a buffer too. But I could be wrong.

TubeStack

Reaction score
Interesting, I like the clips of this one too. What kind of music do you play, and how loud do you turn up the C5 with the Fulltone engaged?

I play mostly heavy-ish blues rock - early ZZ Top, Black Keys, etc. I'm not a big pedal guy, with my band it's just Les Paul straight into Marshall. Most of the time with my C5, I just set the amp volume to around 1 o'clock and use my guitar's volume for varying levels of gain, no pedals.

However, I do like using the Fulltone '70 with the C5 when I want a fun fuzz tone at lower volumes. I set the C5 to about 8-9 o'clock and use the '70, it sounds fantastic and reacts reasonably well to changes with the guitar's volume knob. It also sounds great if I crank the C5 up a bit.

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Fuzz, Big Muff, Swollen Pickle, who came up with these suggestive names?

Add more if you know of any.

Marshall=Awesome

Reaction score
Want to get one for the Class 5. Any recommendations, and do fuzz pedals work well with the C5? Been looking at MXR Classic Fuzz M108 or maybe Fulltone Soulbender. Open to suggestions.

Regards.

Don't forget the Fulltone Soul Bender is a tone bender clone, so it depends what flavour of fuzz you want and what type (fuzz face, big muff, tone bender) and there are loads of variations on those types haha :thumb:

I have a MXR 108 fuzz and I think it does a great vintage fuzz face tone, it's got some more modern features (led, 9v adaptor, battery door, smaller enclosure etc.) that make it more versatile versus the blue Hendrix fuzz face (which are the same circuit). And out of those 3 types of fuzzies I think the fuzz face would work best with the C5 as its the lowest gain of the 3 and you could crunch your amp up a bit to work with it. If your running the amp totally clean, one of the others might work better.

And it would help as well if you say what your going for with the fuzz, or if there's an artist's tone using a fuzz you want to get close to. The fuzz face will get more of a Hendrix, early Dave Gilmour or EJ fuzz sound, The big muff (vintage ram's head, current big muff or swollen pickle variation) will get the later Wall tones from Gilmour but also get more 90's and 00's alternative stuff too, its a big wall of sound fuzz.

Also fuzz's are very picky about guitars and pickups aswell as the amps so there all important factors, esp. with fuzz face's other pedals in the chain will change the tone of the fuzz.

Cheers, Alex

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of the Toneworks Pharaoh.. It looks good too.

dexter74

Reaction score
Don't forget the Fulltone Soul Bender is a tone bender clone, so it depends what flavour of fuzz you want and what type (fuzz face, big muff, tone bender) and there are loads of variations on those types haha :thumb:

I have a MXR 108 fuzz and I think it does a great vintage fuzz face tone, it's got some more modern features (led, 9v adaptor, battery door, smaller enclosure etc.) that make it more versatile versus the blue Hendrix fuzz face (which are the same circuit). And out of those 3 types of fuzzies I think the fuzz face would work best with the C5 as its the lowest gain of the 3 and you could crunch your amp up a bit to work with it. If your running the amp totally clean, one of the others might work better.

And it would help as well if you say what your going for with the fuzz, or if there's an artist's tone using a fuzz you want to get close to. The fuzz face will get more of a Hendrix, early Dave Gilmour or EJ fuzz sound, The big muff (vintage ram's head, current big muff or swollen pickle variation) will get the later Wall tones from Gilmour but also get more 90's and 00's alternative stuff too, its a big wall of sound fuzz.

Also fuzz's are very picky about guitars and pickups aswell as the amps so there all important factors, esp. with fuzz face's other pedals in the chain will change the tone of the fuzz.

Cheers, Alex

Great info, Alex. Looking for more of the EJ 'violin' sustain sound (thinking about pairing up the fuzz with a Giggity, too), but also like the early Led Zep/Page tones. So is there is there anything that covers both? Use a Les Paul with PAF pickups and Japanese Strat from 1986. Sounds like maybe the MXR Classic is the best bang for the buck.

Regards.

Marival

Reaction score

Regards.

What kind of guitar do you play? Pickups and wood please.

dexter74

Reaction score
What kind of guitar do you play? Pickups and wood please.

Main one is a '74 Les Paul, mahogany body and maple top. Full-size T-top HB's pickups wound to PAF specs. Strat is made in Japan and no idea of the wood they used, pickups are not that great, just stock but may upgrade them to some kind of Dimarzios or Fender Fat 50's at some point.

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a sell-out or anything (and how could I, since I'm broke?)...
but I pulled the trigger on the Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face and I do NOT regret it.
It has a really harsh tone, but comes in crystal when you turn down the guitar volume. I've never tried it through a Class 5, but I've tried it through my Epi Valve Jr. (also 5 watt,) and I must say the pedal has lower gain than most other fuzzes. This really helps in keeping it from overwhelming and muddying up those itty bitty 5 lil' watts.

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
Great info, Alex. Looking for more of the EJ 'violin' sustain sound (thinking about pairing up the fuzz with a Giggity, too), but also like the early Led Zep/Page tones. So is there is there anything that covers both? Use a Les Paul with PAF pickups and Japanese Strat from 1986. Sounds like maybe the MXR Classic is the best bang for the buck.

Regards.

Well, I just read this so nevermind. JB fuzz is really gritty and chimey (not very smooth). But then again, on a 5 watter it's a lot smoother than on my 100 watter. Guess b/c the amp can't handle it as well, it clips the treble out or something. Only one way to tell. Wish they let you rent out effects so you could try them on your own equipment without having to commit!