• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

G-String tube retainers anyone?

• Thread starter Trouble Free
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble Free

Reaction score
Not sure what they are called but I just lost one. I was sure I saw a thread where someone has a big stash of these but I can't find it anywhere.
any help or info would be appreciated.
thanks
tempImageDpMcDr.jpg

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
What years and models used the g-string retainers compared to the witch hat versions?

Derrick111

Reaction score
Rather cunningly, they call them "valve retainers".

I'm down to the last dozen or so, having given most of them away to deserving causes.

@Derrick111 how many do you need?

Hi John, I both of my plexis are missing or have broken retainers just like that! Ideally I can use 4 on one amp and 2 on the other, but if you are down to the last bit, I am interested in what I could get if it's economically feasible for me. They are actually the only bit keeping them from being pretty much factory stock. That looks beautiful in your photo!

stickyfinger

Reaction score

Trouble Free

Reaction score
Those aren't G strings though.... they just tied a knot in the string to make it a G string but the string would need to be about 6" long.
Those look shorter than that

London John

Reaction score
Those aren't G strings though.... they just tied a knot in the string to make it a G string but the string would need to be about 6" long.
Those look shorter than that

Like for like on my 45’s, perhaps they changed later.

Trouble Free

Reaction score
1969 major, I assumed they used them because of the KT88s but maybe they ran out of the hats and used string for a while?
I didn't know they were used on other amps, but maybe if I knew what kind of string this was I could build a new one.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
That would appear to be made with glass fiber cord which you can get, and thus, rebuild the original retainer if you didn't lose the other parts.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Not asbestos I hope? Seems like glass cord would be a sensible choice any event.

Latest posts