G12M Creamback or Scumback M75-PVC or... for open back 1x12?

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'm lacking in speaker experience and really could use some guidance or input.

I just picked up a used Fender Supersonic 60 and loving it's versatility but I definitely want a different speaker. It came stock with a Vintage 30 and I really would enjoy something more vintage Greenback and have my mind on either a G12M (possibly G12H) Creamback or the 65watt Scumback M75PVC.

The M75PVC definitely sounds more like a vintage GB in demos imo but the Creamback also sounds similar to my ears but much fuller and bigger which I think would probabaly benefit a open back 1x12. Then choosing between the M or H as I fear the H may sound too bright with the SS60's vintage channel.

Now completely different on my list, a Eminence Legend 1258... Only because I played thru a SF Vibrolux with the 1058s and LOVED how it sounded but I don't know how much the 12" version will compare or if it was just the amp or it being a 2x10 that sounded so dang good.

I wish GC or guitar stores had speaker demo stations like Best Buy used to have for car speakers haha, anyone remember those? Would make speaker choices less of a gamble because I feel even the same speaker can sound vastly different in nearly every demo on YouTube... Makes me anxious on pulling the trigger.

Anyways, if anyone has any experience with any of these speakers and could give some input on a vintage voiced 60w+ speaker for an open back 1x12 I'd appreciate it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no help here with knowledge of that amp or any of those speakers, but...
I wish GC or guitar stores had speaker demo stations like Best Buy used to have for car speakers haha, anyone remember those?
... that's a fugging awesome idea! :yesway:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I tried throwing a Vtype in the SS60 and it just confirmed I don't really like the Vtypes after all. It also opened my eyes to how good the V30 sounds in comparison... Just so much more alive. The Vtypes really exaggerated the Fender scoop on the vintage/clean channel so the V30's mid push compliments the SS60 to my ears since I'm used to Marshalls.

If anyone has any experience with the Creambacks, if I'm digging the V30 which of the 2 Creambacks would I probably prefer? The M or the H? The V30 is a large magnet so I feel I might like the H in this amp.

🤔

C-Grin

Reaction score
I tried throwing a Vtype in the SS60 and it just confirmed I don't really like the Vtypes after all. It also opened my eyes to how good the V30 sounds in comparison... Just so much more alive. The Vtypes really exaggerated the Fender scoop on the vintage/clean channel so the V30's mid push compliments the SS60 to my ears since I'm used to Marshalls.

If anyone has any experience with the Creambacks, if I'm digging the V30 which of the 2 Creambacks would I probably prefer? The M or the H? The V30 is a large magnet so I feel I might like the H in this amp.

🤔
Never owned a Cream back M65 (always sound good to me when I hear them though) but have an H75. Never owned a Scumback of any kind but they sound amazing when I have heard them. I have had V30's and preferred them in closed back cabs. The H 75 cream back (to Me) sounds best in a single speaker open back cab or combo. But it is a bit smooth for me and did not check all my boxes, some folks love em'. It does sound good, just not what I was after, still own it though as I am thinking it will find a home some day.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

🤔
I have both creambacks, the 65 sounds great in every application and every amp, the 75 not in all applications and not with every amp. Same with greenback, doesnt sound great with everything only some things. I recommend the creamback65.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Never owned a Cream back M65 (always sound good to me when I hear them though) but have an H75. Never owned a Scumback of any kind but they sound amazing when I have heard them. I have had V30's and preferred them in closed back cabs. The H 75 cream back (to Me) sounds best in a single speaker open back cab or combo. But it is a bit smooth for me and did not check all my boxes, some folks love em'. It does sound good, just not what I was after, still own it though as I am thinking it will find a home some day.
Thanks for the input!

The purist in me is leaning towards Scumback, they always sound good in demos but I can't help but feel the "fuller" sound of the Creambacks would be so beneficial for the 1x12... 🤔

I have both creambacks, the 65 sounds great in every application and every amp, the 75 not in all applications and not with every amp. Same with greenback, doesnt sound great with everything only some things. I recommend the creamback65.

Thanks man!

I've narrowed it down to the Creamback M65 and the Scumback M75-PVC 65w...

Both sound phenomenal, I just want to add a bit of "british" character to this rocking Supersonic 60!

clutch71

Reaction score
I wanted to love the Creamback (Greenback fan) but did not like the tone overdriven. No matter what I did over the course of several years, it never felt broken in. I did not like the tone from the day I got it to when I sold it on ebay.

I have never owned a Scumback but have liked anyone I have played. So that would have my vote.

I will add another choice...Splawn Small Block. There is one in my Super Sport (EL34 version) and it has the tone I wanted in a Creamback.

Kutt

Reaction score
Don't rule out a Redback. In fact I insist that you take it into consideration! These things are still somewhat flying under the radar. Huge sound and has Creamback "DNA" so to speak. I bet it would make an open back 1x12 sound bigger than it really is. My closed back 2x12 sounds close to a full 4x12 with them.

Mr. Scumback is a forum member and will have valuable input I am sure, if he chimes in. Unfortunately I have never played through one of his speakers but I've never read a bad thing about them.

1659007149197.png

Last edited:

eastsidecincy

Reaction score
I use a g12m 65 Creamback in one of my cabs....and it always sounds great with any amp I plug it into....if prices were not going up I would buy another!

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Whenever I see the Fender circuits with dual 6L6 power section, the H75-LD 100w is what I recommend. An M magnet speaker will work for "awhile"...up until you need more bass. If you had a 212 cab (which I see is all they make for the SS 60 now!) to run, then it could be closed back and have the bass response I think you'll ultimately want.

In any case, a single 12" in an open back with this amp should be a heavy magnet speaker (50 oz or more), such as the V30, H75-LD, or perhaps the Redback.

The H75-LD has the large dust cap that will shave a little of the high treble off the tone, and be a decent speaker for hard rock and early metal (JP, etc) tones.

Good luck.

Jim

Purplexi

Reaction score
I wanted to love the Creamback (Greenback fan) but did not like the tone overdriven. No matter what I did over the course of several years, it never felt broken in. I did not like the tone from the day I got it to when I sold it on ebay.

I have never owned a Scumback but have liked anyone I have played. So that would have my vote.

My M75PVC 65w LD is fantastic for early metal to EVH. Clean tones are crazy good and they're a bit less expensive than Celestions, although I would like to try the H75 Creamback too

Latest posts