G12T-75 hate? Huh?

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
I think the fact they were a default for so long on MV Marshalls they got overlooked for “exotic” or “upgrades” in the metal world…or the classics were revisited (GBs, 65s).

They are a top 3 for me even though I haven’t had a 412 of 75s for years

Adrian R

Reaction score
I think the fact they were a default for so long on MV Marshalls they got overlooked for “exotic” or “upgrades” in the metal world…or the classics were revisited (GBs, 65s).

They are a top 3 for me even though I haven’t had a 412 of 75s for years
The newer Chinese 75s sound decent too, but the older British ones are just warmer and crunchier..

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had some new ones and some older ones.
No hate, but not a favorite of mine - with the amps I have.
Actually, kinda liked the stock ones in the 1922 cab I use with my 4210, but I recently swapped them for V30MF's.

Your sig says modded DSL's and 900's.
Perhaps they work well with higher gain amps?

Adrian R

Reaction score
I've had some new ones and some older ones.
No hate, but not a favorite of mine - with the amps I have.
Actually, kinda liked the stock ones in the 1922 cab I use with my 4210, but I recently swapped them for V30MF's.

Your sig says modded DSL's and 900's.
Perhaps they work well with higher gain amps?
Used them in both. I thought the V30s were horrible with 900s.

knulp

Reaction score
Why did the metal world abandon them for V30s?
It happened when the world abandoned metal anyway.

Can’t wait to see sought after g12 t75 loaded 1960 in a few years when they will definitely be vintage solid and there will be more Marshall fridge than plexi

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
I like them a lot and I recommend anyone who gigs out regularly with a head to learn how to dial their amps for 75s because sooner or later you WILL have a stock 1960 cab with 75s as a backline at a gig.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
I tell ya, been through quite a few different known speakers, however over the past year I've been loading them with used 75s from the 1980s. Awesome speakers, my favorites! Great clean dirty...just the right balance too!
Same here, my main gigging cab is a well worn '80s JCM800. I've had newer cabs with the same speakers but the newer ones never sounded as good. My belief, which is just purely a guess, is that these speakers sound better the more they get broken in. So buy the most heavily beat up cab you can find, and forget about those pretty, new-looking "only used in smoke free studio" cabs lol.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
1980s/90s ones are ok speakers, but old G12K-85's (1777) are much, much better. I'd pick those anytime over any 75's.

nortiks

Reaction score
I think part of the no-love out there for 75s is due to people using a SM57 to mike them. Bright speaker plus bright mike equals nothing good.... IMO, they sound great miked with something compatible. Plenty of good choices out there and personally, I like the Lewitt 440 DM on them.

[edit] I have a pair of British 75s in an oversized 2x12 1936 plywood clone. Good sounding cab.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I like them a lot and I recommend anyone who gigs out regularly with a head to learn how to dial their amps for 75s because sooner or later you WILL have a stock 1960 cab with 75s as a backline at a gig.
As recall you need to turn up the mids for dirty tones, but not so much for cleans. I liked the 75s for cleans, but not as much for overdriven leads.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the no-love out there for 75s is due to people using a SM57 to mic them
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Exactly. It requires a different approach. Multiple mics or blending them with another speaker works well.

A single SM57 on a G12T-75 will test your patience. It can sound hollow and distant.

I don't mind the 75's. I used them on tour for years and got a sound I was happy with out front. I was blending it with a Jube cab loaded with G12-65's. A 57 on each cab.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '82 with the vent on the mag. I've never liked it. I was/am so disappointed.

6VvLDFg.jpg

If you want it PM me.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As recall you need to turn up the mids for dirty tones, but not so much for cleans. I liked the 75s for cleans, but not as much for overdriven leads.
You must be trolling.
"You see, the 75s have a scooped tone..."
"THEY DO NOT! They have boosted highs and lows. That's completely different from what you said."

Latest posts