• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Garageband as an effects processor?

• Thread starter mercilessdeath86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use effects in garageband through an amp? I have a Stealthplug which allows my guitar to plug straight into the computer. Is it possible to plug my guitar into the computer, switch on some effects (delay/chorus, no distortion) in garageband and then put a line out into the imput of my 6100LM and use the natural distortion in my amp without damaging anything?

Reaction score
I can't think of a reason why this should damage anything,
but I can imagine that you'd have troubles with latency...

try it!

ReWind James

Reaction score
You won't damage anything, but keep in mind that line level and guitar level are different voltages and impedances. You may experience some frequency loss and clipping by running a line level input into a guitar input. The best way to do it would be to use the computer in the effects loop of an amp using line in/line out on the computer. If you only have a guitar level in and line level out on the computer's audio interface, then plug your guitar into the guitar in on the computer's audio interface, and plug the line out of the computer into your amps effect return. You might not be able to use all of the controls on your amp this way depending on if the loop is pre/post EQ, etc.

And yes, latency will be an issue if your computer/audio interface can not be run stable at about a 10ms or below buffer. 10ms is about the delay incurred by running a signal through a 20' mic cord to my understanding so that would be essentially unnoticeable and "real time" feeling.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
I never even thought about sending it through the effects loop. I'm gonna give this a try and tell you how it works, thanks a lot guys.