Gasing for a Haze 40!

• Thread starter Msharky67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Ok I can't wait well enough for Marshall to put out something realistic and have been looking at the Haze 40 combo! I tried one around last Christmas but it had problems and I returned it! I really didn't get a good chance to use it and all the features. I wanted something that would give me a good vintage tone and hopefully nail AC/DC. I thought about the 1987x but I think it is too much cost and function and not practical for home use. Any comments on the Haze 40. I don't think Marshall is going to come out with any good here in the future. From what I've heard so far! (DSL15) hacked! I am sure whatever they do is going to be $1500 plus! Since the mini heads started coming out Marshall has never really put one out that was complete. I have an HT5 stack which I like but and is more a complete amp. It would be great if they put out a mini JMP 5 watts ,full EQ, FX loop, 1/2 watt switch but that will never happen! That would make sense!

FennRx

Reaction score
it's a nice amp for its price point. i dont like any of the onboard effects, so i never use them. but if youre looking for decent classic rock tones ( el34) at a modest price point, the Haze 40 is a good choice. absolutely blows Blackstar out of the water imho.

Get yourself a 1960 cab and the Haze 40 really shines.

2012-05-31164510.jpg

woodddj

Reaction score
You might want To check out the JDM1 line. Multiple
Marshall amps at you finger tips. Perfect for home, stage and recording.

reverbbb

Reaction score
I have a Haze 40 as well. It certainly has gotten a bad rap with the failure ratios. I bought one, it went south on me during the first stage gig. The volume kept dropping out. I returned it and got another one. I have not used it much in the past three years. But then about 4 months ago, the newer one blew out the resistors in the bias circuit and made no sound. It appears that the stock tubes went bad with less than 40 hours use. This apparently caused a runaway current on the 1ohm, 1/4W resistors in the bias circuit (who ever heard of using a 1ohm, 1/4W resister near such a power hungry circuit?). The amp tech replaced the tubes and also put 1ohm, 1W resisters back in. So far, so good.

The amp has a lot of versatility. It is powerful loud, small foot print and I happen to like the built-in DSP effects. I paid $600 for mine originally. I recently tried to sell it on CL and got zero responses even at $350 price. That tells me that this amp is a white elephant on the resell market.

Good luck. Great sounding amp, just beware of the reported failure rates and resell value is something to consider.

MKB

Reaction score
I've gigged with my Haze 40 on and off for going on 2 years now, and haven't had a single problem after performing the mods to stop channel switch popping. At one time I considered it the best combo amp Marshall has made, but my new JMD 50W combo has made the Haze obsolete.

I had a hard time on some gigs as the Haze 40 could not get "hard" sounding enough while keeping the other mid and low gain tones usable. On most gigs I need a bit more versatility than that. The JMD covered those bases 1000%, and it even has Haze 40 models that are very close to the real Haze.

At extremely low volumes the Haze 40 sounds fairly bad, but most tube amps do. Get a little volume on it though, and it starts sounding sweet very fast. As mentioned before it sounds great into a 4X12, but I also really liked the stock speaker after it was broken in (very bright and harsh when new).

The main problem I found with the Haze 40 was getting hold of non-microphonic preamp tubes. The Haze 40 is VERY hard on preamp tubes due to its design, and you have to find the right tubes for it. Just use the least microphonic 12AX7's you can find, usually small plate versions. I had to use Sovtek 12AX7WB's; they are terrible sounding tubes, but have no microphonics and have stood up well in the Haze 40. BTW, the squealing issue you hear about in some Haze's was due partially to microphonic tubes. I bought mine cheap as it had this problem, but a simple tube swap fixed it.

Overall though, if you like the range of gain you can get from a stock Haze 40, and like the effects, the Haze 40 with the 4 button footswitch is a terrific grab and go gigging amp. I very much enjoyed mine, but just do not use it any more.

Guitarchops921

Reaction score
I have 2 Haze 40W Combos and both have worked great. I did go through 2 others which I returned due to defects. I think if the Haze 40 would have been built in England there would be less problems with them. I use to use the Haze 40 Combo for gigs but I have reverted back to using a JCM 900 or a DSL 100 with a 1936 cabinet. These amps have always been dependable.

Gibson Les Paul Studios
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro

Marshall JCM 900 50W Head
Marshall JCM DSL 100W Head
Marshall 1936 2X12 Cabinet
Marshall 1960 4X12 Cabinet
Digitech and Boss Pedals
MXR EQs

MKB

Reaction score
I have 2 Haze 40W Combos and both have worked great. I did go through 2 others which I returned due to defects. I think if the Haze 40 would have been built in England there would be less problems with them. I use to use the Haze 40 Combo for gigs but I have reverted back to using a JCM 900 or a DSL 100 with a 1936 cabinet. These amps have always been dependable.
All of the problems I have heard with the Haze 40 were not at all due to where they were built. The part India is responsible for is for issues like the soldering quality, fit of parts, how clean the tolex is installed, etc. The build quality of the Haze 40 (what India is responsible for) is outstanding. The problems are mostly all due to individual component quality (parts not built by Marshall), choices made in design such as particle board cabs, and basic design issues. In summary, the problems were most likely due to the UK design team, and would be there even if the amps were built in the UK.

I also have a Chinese Marshall (JMD:1), and it is similar in that the build quality is great but the materials selected are not. Again this is a UK decision to save money.

Now it may be possible that there is a part of the design group in India and China, and some of the design decisions would be made there, if that is the case my above statements are not valid.

kleintools

Reaction score
Ok I can't wait well enough for Marshall to put out something realistic and have been looking at the Haze 40 combo! I tried one around last Christmas but it had problems and I returned it! I really didn't get a good chance to use it and all the features. I wanted something that would give me a good vintage tone and hopefully nail AC/DC. I thought about the 1987x but I think it is too much cost and function and not practical for home use. Any comments on the Haze 40. I don't think Marshall is going to come out with any good here in the future. From what I've heard so far! (DSL15) hacked! I am sure whatever they do is going to be $1500 plus! Since the mini heads started coming out Marshall has never really put one out that was complete. I have an HT5 stack which I like but and is more a complete amp. It would be great if they put out a mini JMP 5 watts ,full EQ, FX loop, 1/2 watt switch but that will never happen! That would make sense!

You won't regret the (( HAZE40 )) it a must have. I read other comments of people putting it down the secret is to BREAK the speaker in for that warm sound. Hope this helps.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I really want one too but the one I tried in guitar center had a melt down on the spot. I took it apart and was not pleased with micro processors and stuff of the such. I understand today's technology but will that stuff last 10-20yrs in a guitar amp? I have two 30yr old jcm800's that I know will last another 30yrs easily with tubes and caps.

MKB

Reaction score
I really want one too but the one I tried in guitar center had a melt down on the spot. I took it apart and was not pleased with micro processors and stuff of the such. I understand today's technology but will that stuff last 10-20yrs in a guitar amp? I have two 30yr old jcm800's that I know will last another 30yrs easily with tubes and caps.
Most new tube Marshalls have microcontrollers and/or digital signal processors (YJM, AFD, Vintage Modern, Haze, among others). It is simply a way of life these days and cannot be avoided.

If the circuitry is designed properly to begin with, you will have zero reason to be concerned about microprocessors in a tube amp. Microprocessors can last an extremely long time, I have synth and effects gear from the early eighties that is still working perfectly. That stuff is over 30 years old and is still going strong.

Johnt

Reaction score
DSL 401?

Great tones and expandable into other cabs.

I have no regrets....:)

JohnT

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I am getting another dsl401 too. I might see if the guitar center here will let me have that haze 40 for a real good price since it's broken. I might just have to deal with the new electronics crap in these and see how long it will last. I like the amp.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
Ok, well I bought a haze 40 today! Guitar center had a problem child with a shorted power tube that I blew up a while back. I grabbed all my tools, parts, tubes, crap, and went over there and fixed it. They cut me a real good deal. Man, that amp
rocks! Great jcm800 combo sound to it with that type of crunch that is a must. It really blew the walls down when I used my Les Paul with a boss sd1 into it for metal. I belted out songs from master of puppets and man did that thing scream! People were like , "Where the fuck is Hetfield!" The amp is killer. I am a tech myself so if something gives me crap I will fix it or build a 2204 kit in it's place. Now this amp is not equal to my jcm800 4010 combo but it is really good. It has the same tone and dynamics as the 800 combo. My 4010 is a really strong solid performer and I don't expect much to add up to it. I really like the haze 40!

40-haze-tone

Reaction score
The Haze is an awesome amp, if you can find one that works. Mine blew a fuse the second time I turned the volume past 3! It was actually quite a search to find another one, but the guy at long and mcquade was nice enough to get me one and install it for free. After that I've had no problems, and have been enjoying it for a few years (I got it when it first came out). Good luck!

Latest posts