• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

General question

• Thread starter Bad Cat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Cat

Reaction score
Best lead tone at any volume i got from any amp was form a Marshall JMP from 1980 without an FX loop with a pedal in front of the amp in the low input channel. Should have kept that amp. Sold it due to what i considered too little headroom at that time. Do the newer Marshalls like the 1959 HW or the 1987x take pedals as good as the JMP from 1980?

'2204'

Reaction score
Best lead tone at any volume i got from any amp was form a Marshall JMP from 1980 without an FX loop with a pedal in front of the amp in the low input channel. Should have kept that amp. Sold it due to what i considered too little headroom at that time. Do the newer Marshalls like the 1959 HW or the 1987x take pedals as good as the JMP from 1980?
Was it a '4-hole' NMV JMP or a '2-hole' MV JMP that you had? I`m sure a good pedal will make either a 1959 or a 1987x sound great esp. because you can blend the 2 channels on either amp to get your desired tone. On their own, however, in order to sound their best, they need to be cranked up pretty loud or have a good attenuator added to help achieve great tones at an acceptable volume. Hopefully others here will add to all this...

spacerocker

Reaction score
Best lead tone I ever had* (and still get) is from my JVM410H OD2 Orange Mode. No pedals required! it really sings, is clear and articulate and sustains for days. By far the best sound on the amp at the time that I bought it, and one aspect of the amp that I was always 100% happy with....

* That includes my old 2203 with ANY sort of pedal infront!

79 2203

Reaction score
Just finished playing a LP Special with Pearly Gates into a Barber LTD SR, first into a stock 79 2203/ 77 slant with Blackback H30’s and V30’s, and then a stock 71 1987/Hotplate -12db/68 slant with Pulsonic 25 watters.

Both amps set to AC/DC-ish crunch at rock band volumes.The Barber OD was used to boost for solos and chunky riffs. Both amps took the boost great but I’d say the 2203 had the edge.
These days I prefer the tone and especially the responsiveness of the NMV Marshall, but must admit, every vintage MV Marshall I’ve had has taken boosts exceptionally well.

Riderhefader

Reaction score
I have a reissue 1959. A 1974 super lead. 1987x and a 1978 2203 master volume. I don’t use the effects loop on the reissues. I think it handles pedals in front of the amp as well as the old ones.

Latest posts