Getting a vintage tone?

• Thread starter 80's Rocker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
And it's not only the speakers themselves.
It's the cabinet and its grille cloth.

The grill cloth for example (earlier ones) were equalizers on their own right (basket wave).

The new G12Ms (I had four) are not exactly what I like.
I am not sure if Scumbacks do great replicas of the PreRola/Pulsonics of the era.
But however I did this - if I didn't want to get the real thing i.e., a truly vintage 4x12 cabinet - I would make sure the cabinet (wood) and every component of it were as much as possible as the very old ones.

I have tried on my vintage cabinet even more modern-style amplifiers and the tone is heavily influenced by the cabinet itself.

To the point of saying that, whatever amp I play thru' THAT cab, I get a vintage tone out of it.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
The man in your avatar used the super distortions as did a few others in the 70's. :fingersx:

If you're looking for '60s vibe, I'd say yeah change to a PAF style pickup, perhaps the Duncan '59. Keep the amp, no reason you can't get there with it. You can try some different preamp tubes to lower down the gain a bit too. Back off the preamp and go with some greenbacks or V30s and keep your cab. They just mount right up, easy swap. If you go greenbacks, look at the Celestion EVH's they are the same thing only less expensive for some reason.

If you want 70's tone V30's won't get you there. Duper distortions won't get you that authentic late 60's/70's tone either, except for Kiss.

80's Rocker

Reaction score
The man in your avatar used the super distortions as did a few others in the 70's. :fingersx:

If you're looking for '60s vibe, I'd say yeah change to a PAF style pickup, perhaps the Duncan '59. Keep the amp, no reason you can't get there with it. You can try some different preamp tubes to lower down the gain a bit too. Back off the preamp and go with some greenbacks or V30s and keep your cab. They just mount right up, easy swap. If you go greenbacks, look at the Celestion EVH's they are the same thing only less expensive for some reason.

Yeah that man is the reason I put it in there in the first place lol.

I guess cab looking at right now it is...then later maybe a Plexi. The Vintage Modern never interested me much because I don't need any modern settings or amp advantages or anything. Plus I am somewhat of a purist and only really want what they had available at that day in time.

Although I have heard clips of it and it was a very nice amp. If I got a plexi tho, what kind of attenuators are good for the money value? I might have to sell that Kramer now after all :lol:

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Yeah that man is the reason I put it in there in the first place lol.

I guess cab looking at right now it is...then later maybe a Plexi. The Vintage Modern never interested me much because I don't need any modern settings or amp advantages or anything. Plus I am somewhat of a purist and only really want what they had available at that day in time.

Although I have heard clips of it and it was a very nice amp. If I got a plexi tho, what kind of attenuators are good for the money value? I might have to sell that Kramer now after all :lol:

PErsonally I'm not a fan of attenuators, when I play a lick PERFECTLY without the attenuator it sounds BAD.

80's Rocker

Reaction score
If I have a non MV which I plan to...I would have to have one or never get to play it at home.

Any one want to trade a plexi for my 800? :fingersx: :lol:

80's Rocker

Reaction score
Narrowed down to 2 heads....1959SLP or 1959HW, what's the real difference?

Oh and I listed to some sound clips of greenbacks vs other speakers and yeah the greenbacks definately give a nice crunchy classic tone I am looking for. I wouldn't have thought speakers change the sound so much...

Last edited:

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Narrowed down to 2 heads....1959SLP or 1959HW, what's the real difference?

Oh and I listed to some sound clips of greenbacks vs other speakers and yeah the greenbacks definately give a nice crunchy classic tone I am looking for. I wouldn't have thought speakers change the sound so much...

The HW is handwired and it'll keep it's value. The SLP is not handwired and won't keep it's value as well as the HW.

Speakers definately change tone. My vintage modern always sounded a bit fizzy and lifeless though my V30 cab, it sang through my vintage Marshall cab with blackbacks.

papa-seano

Reaction score
If you want 70's tone V30's won't get you there. Duper distortions won't get you that authentic late 60's/70's tone either, except for Kiss.

I agree. My v30s sounded great for mid 80's upward.
Those greenbacks have some really warm mids. With them being a lower rated speaker (25watts) They brake up that little bit earlier too. Which can be a pro or a con. With a plexi, def a pro for me.

papa-seano

Reaction score
Seriously, you need to check out those Vintage Moderns...

I agree! JTM tones with more gain. Get those classic cream, hendrix sounds in Low Range and 70s grind in High Range!

Its not a clear as my DSL as the VM is mid heavy IMHO. But thats what I like about it.:)

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I agree! JTM tones with more gain. Get those classic cream, hendrix sounds in Low Range and 70s grind in High Range!

Its not a clear as my DSL as the VM is mid heavy IMHO. But thats what I like about it.:)

I miss my VM, they're excellent amps.

peterplexi

Reaction score
Plexi....in fact the YJM 100 would be perfect. Old kiss is a 100 watt Plexi with EH LPB1 Power booster in the front end. Old ZZ is 1oo watt 69 Plexi and some old Fenders. Early Aerosmith were also Plexi with front end booster/ distortion boxes. Big dif between JCM 800 and Plexi circuit.
Just sayin'....

RobS

Reaction score
80'rocker,
I have a 2203 and am a huge KISS fan too. I have found that when using the powerbrake with the 2203 I can get pretty damn close to the Alive sound using the following settings.
Pres 3
bass / mid / treb all on 5
Preamp 4-4.5
Vol 8-9
+ Les Paul + greenback speakers , or in my case Greenback clones.

Rob

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he's saying "Vintage Modern" ?

Back off the gain and pre-amp on the 800 and put the mids and bass up and see what you get. My bass player has a wonderul 800 that I run an LP through along with a Boss blues driver and I get some awesome 70's/ZZ Top tones with.

that's pretty much it.

less pre,more master,& a low output les paul.

btw,Ace used fender amps a lot in the studio.

eastwood6

Reaction score
Lose the Super Distortion pickups. They're designed to push non-master volume amps into overdrive. Way to hot for a MV amp like your 800 if you want to replicate a vintage tone. Simplistically, vintage = less gain than today.

I've been chasing old-skool KISS tones forever, and get pretty close with my Les Paul (Duncan JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck) and my JMP 2104 with the pre-amp gain on about 6 or 7. Classic KISS is only slightly more crunchy in tone than AC/DC, for example.

The LP had Super D's for a long time, once I replaced them the tone came back.

You'll never be able to play loud enough with a SuperLead to get what you want, tone wise. Keep the 800, the Greenbacks in the cab are probably a good idea too. I have G12-65's in my 2104 and 2 x 12 extension cab, very Greenback-sounding to my ears.

My 2.5 inflation-adjusted cents.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
Get a 1959slp or a 1987x. And use an attenuator, they sound amazing! I recommend the Dr Z airbrake...............get the real thing, a plexi....

stump

Reaction score
For the tones that you listed I think that your amp with the gain set low into some G12-65 type speakers will get you there. I have a 1968 JMP 50 clone and a JCM 800 4104 50 watt combo. I can get the 800 to sound damned close to the Plexi, so close that I really can't tell the difference on some recordings that I did. Check out Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET-65's. They're a G12-65 clone and sound very good at a nice price. As well, converting the 800 to EL34 tubes will put you closer to Plexi tone. The biggest difference in the two amps is the 800 has a cascaded preamp and 6550 tubes in American market amps. Using the low input or turning down the gain when using the high input will get you the tones that you're after. Good luck.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
You'll never be able to play loud enough with a SuperLead to get what you want

So true, mister. Super leads are bedroom amps so they're not designed to gig with. They're way to quiet to get you that good ole' vintage tone. And that's exactly why Jimi, early Clapton, Angus and Malcom young, and a shit load of others used them live.

Asshat

Latest posts