• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Getting Friedman Brown Eye tones from a DSL

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2000

Reaction score
I just bought another DSL50. I have previously owned 2 beforehand and have had a love/hate relationship with them.

In any case, I plugged into the green clean channel with the gain on 10, then stacked my TS808 and Klon Clone and got an awesome hot rod plexi type sound. In fact, it sounds almost exactly like my Friedman BE modded Ceriatone 2204. Almost to the point where the tones are interchangeable.

Thought I'd pass this on for for those that have been chasing that BE100 tone which is so popular these days. The quality and overall tone is almost identical. Great find!! Enjoy!

Here are some recordings. Playing aint great but it gives you an idea about the comparison I'm making. ShureSM57 > Tascam iXZ > iPhone 6 > Voice memos :)

https://soundcloud.com/joe-ferla/sets/joe2000

ken361

Reaction score
Theres a vid on you tube comparing the both amps they do sound the same, DSL had Mercury Trans in which helped:) I need a boost pedal!

plexilespaul

Reaction score
dsl 50 is sweet sounding amp...just got to find that sweet point

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
I just reaquired a DSL.....really it is an amp I have owned before but never kept long,they are pretty easy to sell or trade off being a marshall and being so affordable now....its a cool amp.....was suprised at how good it sounds live....Im going to hang onto it for a while.....Friedman stuff sounds ok,but Im not paying thousands for any amp,especailly when they are all marshall variants...lol....prefer the DSL to the quickrod for sure....

dreyn77

Reaction score
brilliant! well done!

that's exactly how it's done internally with those other amps.

2x mid impedence pedals into the high impedence valves.

Joe2000

Reaction score
Theres a vid on you tube comparing the both amps they do sound the same, DSL had Mercury Trans in which helped:) I need a boost pedal!

I saw this a while ago and its great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYQyS9yDVIo

I will say that I think the DSL lead 1 channel is a more modern voicing that the BE though. More defined and rounded bass in the DSL. The green clean with stacked OD pedals stays true to that plexi sound with more gain added.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
DSL hard to beat . They both sounded like real good marshalls !

Selector70

Reaction score
I just reaquired a DSL.....really it is an amp I have owned before but never kept long,they are pretty easy to sell or trade off being a marshall and being so affordable now....its a cool amp.....was suprised at how good it sounds live....Im going to hang onto it for a while.....Friedman stuff sounds ok,but Im not paying thousands for any amp,especailly when they are all marshall variants...lol....prefer the DSL to the quickrod for sure....

Exactly!! IMO, Freidman's mods are probably just cloned Bob Bradshaw/John Suhr (SE Mod) or Jose Arrendondo mods anyway. :naughty:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
prefer the DSL to the quickrod for sure....

Last year, I bought a Splawn Quick Rod and Splawn cabinet to go with it. Within three weeks I hated everything about it, and after a month I sold it at a major loss just to get the hateful thing out of my house.

I then got a 2012 JVM and 1960A cab and couldn't be happier!