• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Getting The Club Up To Pro Status

• Thread starter Jon C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    live sound
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jon C

Reaction score
While in my younger years , I was blessed to be in many fun gigging projects … Playing Guitar in a working band is a blast and nothing beats "That Energy" …… The need to survive propagates a real vocation …… It's a time thing …… Own a real business / Suck up rediculous hours …… Soooo … since I happened to be the lucky one who set up the PA , sniffed out gremlins on the PA , Ran the PA , Took down and Hauled the PA …… I kinda figured out how to be a pretty decent sound guy …… Fast forward to the 2010s and beyond … Enter Sound Guy avocation!!
I have a decent Digital System built in to a Local Rock Club and the most repetitive thing I get from incoming bands is "What Time is Sound Check ?"
No clue on Backline , Frontline, IEMs , Schlep Order ……

I finally let the Club Owner know that if he wants to get the Pro Show …… The bands need to get a better handle on Schlep In …
And if you use IEM's …… Please put the app on your device BEFORE you get here …… LAN is LAN …… No internet , Just SysEX ……

This is an excerpt from a Chat where I think I got the idea presented pretty well ………

[Ok .. so just recapping the Idea that being completly ready for the 8pm start time and off the stage by 7 would be my hope and wish .. It's about the "Attendee's Experience" .. The paying customer should not be watching Habitrail Hamsters , they should be relaxing in wonder at all of the Cool Amps and Stuff Gracing the Stage pre showtime .. . If thats cool then the prewire is around 4:30 .. Drum Kit on stage by 5 .. Drums Mic'ed and Wired by 5:30 .. Amps and On Stage stuff around 6 .. All signals hot around 6:30 and Final prep before 7 hits …… 'Sound Check' takes 18 seconds and can be forgone 97% of the time]

Pro Shows are easy …… just a little common sense needed

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Very cool! And thanks for the tips! :cool:

Got any recommendations for good books on live sound?

I have what by today's standards would be considered a primitive Pa setup, 16 channel Studiomaster Pro2 203, and a single QSC MX700 power amp, along with an EQ and a Lexicon digital reverb. Also a set of good sounding but back-breaking QMS speakers, had it since the 90's. I can twiddle around with the knobs till I get a decent sound for a mancave sized room but I would be totally in the dark when it comes to live sound in a club or theatre. I know I would need a second power amp and a crossover (already have one of those) if I were to take it out, just for starters. But it does OK for jamming with my guitar and a drum machine at home for now.

I've watched some sound guys in action in local clubs lately and they're generally running 'em with computers, nothing makes me feel like an old fart more than seeing that! :lol:

Last edited:

Jon C

Reaction score
Very cool! And thanks for the tips! :cool:

Got any recommendations for good books on live sound?

I have what by today's standards would be considered a primitive Pa setup, 16 channel Studiomaster Pro2 203, and a single QSC MX700 power amp, along with an EQ and a Lexicon digital reverb. Also a set of good sounding but back-breaking QMS speakers, had it since the 90's. I can twiddle around with the knobs till I get a decent sound for a mancave sized room but I would be totally in the dark when it comes to live sound in a club or theatre. I know I would need a second power amp and a crossover (already have one of those) if I were to take it out, just for starters. But it does OK for jamming with my guitar and a drum machine at home for now.

I've watched some sound guys in action in local clubs lately and they're generally running 'em with computers, nothing makes me feel like an old fart more than seeing that! :lol:
Thanks for asking !!
Means to and Ends ……
The Means…
I bought a Mackie 3208 new in Y2K for 2Grand ……
That deck became an extension of me
Sold it for 200 bucks the day after I bought the Presonus RM32ai and an iPad
You couldn't have driven a needle up my katoosh with a sledge hammer the 1st time I set it up for live … premature freakage
Within 20 minutes, I felt like I had been using it for years !!!
The Ends… I wonder why I waited so long to go digital!!

Sorry , I'm no help on the books but the web is a goldmine ……
Better yet …… With the cats right here on the Forum …… you can get specific answers from guys (and gals) who have real world experience without the Salesperson Spin……

You listed perfectly good gear there …
I'm a fan of passive cabs and outboard power amps
I have a hard time imagining the vibrational stress on the electronics with powered
I'm also a big fan of class D power amps like the Crowns in my rack there …… 2500watts into 4ohms weighing in at 12lbs
Ironically, I don't care for Neodymium Magnet Speakers.
While they are lightweight …… there is a vicious cycle of yuk at higher pressures …
Their efficiency drops as they get hot
You send them more juice to compensate
They get even hotter …… hard on the Amps to say the least
Give me good ol' ceramic mags please !!

You can forgo the crossover with most Class D amps now because they have low pass ability

Another super cool trick is to use Transformer Isolated Balanced Mic Line splitters to "Y" out to amps with no Thru Outs ……
Check out the ART S-8s

I still have my old StudioMaster 12-2 B !!

Last edited:

Latest posts