Gibson FAIL - the story of four new SGs

• Thread starter johnfv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnfv

Reaction score
I've made some posts about this along the way but wanted to summarize my recent experience with four new Gibson SGs. YMMV (and I hope it does)...

I got my first Gibson (an early '60s SG Junior) in 1975 when I was 14. Although I'm not really a Les Paul fan (a bit bulky for me) I have owned a few other Gibsons including my beloved Firebird I that was my main instrument for many years. I've played mostly Strats in recent years and while I am pretty familiar with Fender quality I admit that I have not payed much attention to the quality of NEW Gibson guitars for decades. Recently I've been wanting to expand my "collection" and in particular try to recreate some of my favorites from the past (like my Firebird and SG). Every Gibson I have bought previously was used, and I was able to locate a used 2008 Firebird V that is excellent. I'd been watching for used SGs for a while but never found one I like so I decided to give the "Gibson Limited Run SG Special '60s Tribute" a try (from Musician's Friend). I have bought several mailorder guitars in the past (Fender, Ibanez and Epiphone) and have never had significant problems. I assumed a Gibson would be a safe bet...

SG #1 - The fit and finish on the first "60s Tribute SG" was surprisingly bad. When you buy mailorder you have to assume some setup will be needed so I'm willing to let the lack of truss rod adjustment slide. BUT, there's a paint drip on the neck heel, a small chip of wood missing on the edge of the headstock (under the veneer face), a poorly cut nut and poorly dressed frets.

SG #2 - I decided to order what I really wanted: a '61 Reissue SG (thinking that I would get better quality with a more deluxe model). The guitar arrived with a substantial "lip" where the fingerboard and binding meet the neck. In other words, the fingerboard is smaller than the neck so the binding and neck are not flush, there is a sharp edge the full length of the neck from the neck sticking out below the binding.

Musician's Friend has been very helpful, both guitars went back and they sent new ones.

SG #3 - The next '61 Reissue SG had the same "lip" problem where the fingerboard binding meets the neck. The binding and neck are not flush so there is an annoying sharp edge the length of the neck. I put it back in the case and packed it up. It just makes me sad that this is what $2000 Gibson guitars are today.

SG #4 - The second '60s tribute model is pretty rough but not such obvious flaws as the first one. I like a thin nitro finish but I would prefer if someone does a little sanding before hand. :) The ends of the wood are very rough (at the cutaways for example) and there are still some bad spots in the finish. The body is a butcher block of glue joints (4 pieces). The strings catch in the nut so it's a pain to tune. That said, the neck feels good and the guitar has a nice resonance, it really sings plugged and unplugged. With a fret job and setup it could be nice player - I might just keep it.

For comparison I also picked up an ESP LTD EC-1000 goldtop (on sale for $599). The finish and setup are pretty much flawless. Quality parts include Duncan pickups, Tonepros bridge and nice locking tuners. It feels, sounds and looks fantastic. Les Pauls have always felt a bit bulky to me; I like the thinner body and tummy cut on this one. Absolutely a keeper, if any of the 4 Gibson SGs were even close to the fit and finish of this guitar I would have been happy.

I wish I had better story to tell - I really wanted to have a nice SG. The fact that both '61 reissues were so bad blows me away. I believe there are still some good Gibsons made (as I said, my 2008 Firebird is excellent) but I got a real education in how far you might have to search to find a "good one".

Here's a picture of the 2 guitars left (out of 5), still haven't decided if the SG is worth keeping.
7537d1324939814-note-61-sg-reissues-2-them-not-shown-xmas-guitars.jpg

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Just a thought, maybe it's not gibson, but Musicians Friend that got a lot of bad gibsons.

twitchylizard

Reaction score
I havent played a "good" Gibson in a while..I used to be a Les Paul, humbucker guitar kinda guy, then I bought a telecaster and I dont think Ill ever go back to Les Pauls..Fender quality is amazing for the money and they make a great but different sound..I really think Gibson will go bankrupt before they identify and fix their problems

jvm210guy

Reaction score
Well, that sucks. Funny though, because the 2011 SG I ordered and returned from GC was flawless. Everything out the box was perfect, I only returned it because of preferences in sound. The 2010 Fender FSR thin skin strat I have has some bumps dents and scratches all over the body. There is a part on the guitar where it looks like the paint is slightly rising (maybe because they put the pickguard on before the paint dryed completely?), but the guitar sounds fucking amazing and I'm only going to go back to get a price reduction. Don't believe me? I got pics just ask. Now even with the flaws on my Fender I realize if a guitar is going to sit in a warehouse or sales floor for a certain amount of time some shit might happen to it, but that doesn't mean Fender sucks at quality control. I don't know man, that sucks what happend to you though, it's just that I think all the Gibson bashing is over the top sometimes.

I'm glad you got a guitar you like now though....

johnfv

Reaction score
...I think all the Gibson bashing is over the top sometimes...
...I'm sure most gibsons are pretty good actually...
I used to think the same way. I intended to buy just one guitar and kept trying because I did not want to believe it was this bad. The guy I bought my 2008 Firebird from was telling me how much searching he had done to get a good one - I assumed he was selling me. After seeing this random sampling of 4 guitars I believe him and am very thankful my Firebird is good (the neck/binding joint is "like butta" :) ). When I posted similar comments at Gibson forums the general response is "yup, you gotta weed through the bad ones".
...two grand should get me something more than "pretty good"
I agree. These are not just little finish items here (which they all had). The necks on the '61 reissues were so bad I did not want to play them - could not put them away fast enough.
YMMV (and I hope it does)...
I HOPE others have a better experience but clearly there are some QC issues. For now I would not buy a new Gibson guitar without a thorough review (and liberal return policy) and in my experience several other brands offer much better quality at a lower price. Gibson, get well soon...

jvm210guy

Reaction score
John, I think you make fair assumptions on Gibson guitars based on your experiences. I'm glad I haven't had any real bad experiences on anything Fender or Gibson, besides just sound preferences...

Like I said my strat has SOME serious blemishes that COULD be blamed on production, but it sounds SOOOO fucking good I WILL NOT return it. I'm going to go over there tonight and get a serious discount, then I may use the money towards more gear...

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
But the fact is, every 2000 dollar Gibson shouldnt feel like your'e throwing away your money..To be honest, two grand should get me something more than "pretty good"

Depends on what guitars you are used to and what 'pretty good' means to you.

carrots

Reaction score
Just a thought, maybe it's not gibson, but Musicians Friend that got a lot of bad gibsons.

Its my understanding they buy the 2nds that usually get cut up.
I bought a LTD from them. The soap bars was off almost an 1/16th of an inch resulting in the string path over the saddels to be rediculously bad. I won't buy a guitar from them...

I had to replace the nut and bridge, and have the saddel notches placed differently to help the string path...
I should have just sent it back.......... I sold it and lost sum money.

async

jvm210guy

Reaction score
Why are there bad Gibsons being sent out in the first place?

See this is my issue with Gibson bashing.

GibsonSG1.jpg

This was my SG 2011 BRAND NEW, still smelled like drying paint. Couldn't have been in a warehouse for longer than a couple months. Had ZERO imperfections. Heat or cold does a lot of fucked up things to new or used guitars, so you can't automatically blame Gibson for blemishes or imperfections, because anything could happen to a guitar in a warehouse or sales floor. I'm just saying...... I will say though that EVERY Gibson I have ever played has a nut that "catches" strings which hurts tuning (that pisses me off even though it's a simple fix).

I hope you can take my word for it, but my new Fender FSR strat has imperfections that COULD be blamed on production, but like I said put a guitar in a hot room and it might not come out how you left it...

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
It is, but I'm sure most gibsons are pretty good actually.
honestly i bought 3 les pauls over the course of a year, one was a standard and all were lacking.

the studios were all newer 2000's models and all had poor fret dresses,sharp edges,frets not completely seated in the board etc. the les paul standard had pain everywhere,everything was very noticebly uneven like the binding....god that was so bad:( and the nut was chipped THEN smoothed over in several spots. there were scuffs out of the box and the frets were green on arrival.

I've gone through a bunch of SG's too and i sold one i regret and have the best sounding one out of the group i've owned but, every Gibson i've owend or played that's newer really hasn't been that impressive other than this SG (which still looks a little cheap but, sounds and plays great) and the goth i sold were all average at best where my $500 Korean guitars smoke them in every regard except collectibility.

That said i still like Gibson.

I love 335's,SG's,Firebirds and the 90's LP studio deluxe with ebony fretboard. I think as with most big names right now their quality's just on a decline. It happens to all of them once they start getting a taste of real money.

jvm210guy

Reaction score
Do you not play them before you purchase?

It's like a mail order bride. It may look good, but that ass may me lacking. :lol:

The guitars I wanted like the SG and the FSR strat were not available in stores at the time (around here at least). Besides, that's why I only buy from places that are reputable and have return policies...

IbanezMark

Reaction score
If stuff like that is escaping the factory on a regular basis, that is totally unacceptable IMO. I have also heard that Gibson's factory replacement is pretty decent, though.