Gibson Les Paul Classic serial number weird, no made in usa stamp

• Thread starter Kolanti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kolanti

Reaction score
So I was browsing a site in my country that it is to sell used gear and I found a Les Paul Classic apparently from 2003 but with no stamp of Made in USA and the serial number looks odd.

Gibson said that 2000-2005 the serial numbers started with 00 and from 2005-2010 with 05.

Now this Les Paul starts with 03.

Do you know anything about these les pauls?

https://smart.noiz.gr/details.php?id=484652 here is the link, ignore the writing just check the photos.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was browsing a site in my country that it is to sell used gear and I found a Les Paul Classic apparently from 2003 but with no stamp of Made in USA and the serial number looks odd.

Gibson said that 2000-2005 the serial numbers started with 00 and from 2005-2010 with 05.

https://smart.noiz.gr/details.php?id=484652 here is the link, ignore the writing just check the photos.
Just 6 digits is odd, in and of itself, i think.
How To Verify Authentic Gibson Serial Numbers
Serial # look-up site results in "error".
Gibson Serial Number Lookup - Find Out When Your Guitar Was Made (zinginstruments.com)
I'd ask for more info from seller before making an offer.
If it's fake, they won't have a good answer.

Kolanti

Reaction score
Just 6 digits is odd, in and of itself, i think.
How To Verify Authentic Gibson Serial Numbers
Serial # look-up site results in "error".
Gibson Serial Number Lookup - Find Out When Your Guitar Was Made (zinginstruments.com)
I'd ask for more info from seller before making an offer.
If it's fake, they won't have a good answer.
i will ask him for the papers that come with the guitar, i imagine he has them.

from the photos did you noticed anything odd lets on the paint or the headstock?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Whats the return policy at the store? I think the guitar is legit, I looked up a bunch on reverb and they look just like it. The only thing I'd be aware of is a guitar that age may have excessive fret wear.

Heres one on reverb in the US for example:

https://Reverb(dot)com/item/40371731-gibson-les-paul-classic-2001-2008-vintage-sunburst

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will ask him for the papers that come with the guitar, i imagine he has them.

from the photos did you noticed anything odd lets on the paint or the headstock?
Nothing looks odd other than the serial number.
If it's a fake, it's a good fake.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Very legit . As i have the same model and the font and the serial # configuration is correct and legit !

Kolanti

Reaction score
Very legit . As i have the same model and the font and the serial # configuration is correct and legit !
so what is happening with the serial? because in the particular guitar starts with 03 instead of 00 or 05

mirrorman

Reaction score
Looks like a Memphis shop serial number, but I don't know if they made LPs there.
The S/N on my 2014 ES-339 was somewhat similar except started with ME ######. It did not have "Made In USA" stamped on it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is custom shop, from the link I posted above, this would make sense.

YYRRRM
Y is the production year
RRR(R) indicates the guitar's place in production for that year.
M is the model being reissued
Reissue model codes:
1= SG Custom and Special
2= SG Standard
3= 1963 Firebird 1
4= 1964 Firebird III
5= 1965 Firebird V & VII
8= 1968 Les Paul Custom

So "030728" would be:
Year "03"
Production # "072"
Model "8" = LP Custom

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
so what is happening with the serial? because in the particular guitar starts with 03 instead of 00 or 05
The serial number is good, I have a 6 digit serial on my LP. Buy it, its a good looking guitar!

El Gringo

Reaction score
The guitar is a 2003 model as the serial begins with 03 which means the year it was built . If the guitar was a 2000 model it then would have 00 at the start of the serial and the same for 05 which would be a 2005 . Next would be the day it was built -072 would mean the 72 day of the year which would be March 12th , and lastly the last digits indicate the number in product for the model year -8. There was no made in the USA Stamp mark as this model was a nod to the 1960 model Les Paul , with the slim taper neck and the snot green inlays on the fingerboard , along with the single ring Kluson tuners . Note the Made in USA Stamp did re appear in 2007 on the Les Paul Classic model . Also If I have made a mistake fellow forum members please correct me .

Latest posts