Gold Lion KT-77s have landed...and..

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Their absolutely bust ass!

Up to this point I had experienced Winged Cs recently and found them to be the best sounding power tube out there... Although, as mentioned, are no longer being made, and the ones that are available are very pricey; like $300 for a quad. I bought three sets from an ebay dealer, one set failed. So I decided to search for a tube with similar performance, but being currently made.

I read allot of reviews from multiple sources. The consensus is that these Genalex KT-77s are as good as many of the old brands from the 20th century, and with some reporting better performance then the Winged C.

Build quality seems excellent. I just now put them in one of my amps, they quickly biased up and remained very steady. Biased conservatively, and without any burn in time, they sound excellent right out of the gate. The most obvious difference is power. These things are LOUD...with way more balls then the Cs...huge, tight bottom end with a smooth top end...yet with that killer EL 34 mid range. They remind me of 6550s man...however, unlike some of the other tubes I have tried, these have that same sweet, very musical feel, and sound like the Cs exhibit.

You can get a quad for about $180, roughly half the cost of the Winged C.

They are just a bit different sounding then the C..the C still is an excellent sounding tube...but these things man have got serious power...

Oh and btw... don't even share the same Galaxy with the JJ KT-77s.. These things completely destroy them.

We'll see how the hold up over the next couple days...but initially man, really impressed.

No more JJs, Shuguangs, ..etc.. The Cs and these Gold Lions are way better sounding tubes.

Ignorance is bliss...yep...

goldlion.jpg

Last edited:

JP2036

Reaction score
whinged C bAst eVar
I told you the best EL-34 quad for $90 bucks shipped 3 weeks ago but its your dime.
Who needs a 6550 type tube w/a 100 watt head when most people can't even open up a 100 watt Marshall past "2".
So yer saying these are the pinnacle of DSL tone eh ?

JP2036

Reaction score
In your opinion whats the biggest difference between KT-77's & EL-34's besides headroom ?

Adrian R

Reaction score
Interesting read at The Tube Store!

https://www.thetubestore.com/genalex-gold-lion-kt77

I have tried JJ's and did not like them!

I have too, back around 2014... Didn't like them.... just okay.. These are completely different...they remind of the Winged Cs with more balls. Oh, and they biased up quickly and didn't hardly drift at all..if any after 5 hrs... Most tubes...drift considerably in their first several years of life.

JP2036

Reaction score
I have too, back around 2014... Didn't like them.... just okay.. These are completely different...they remind of the Winged Cs with more balls. Oh, and they biased up quickly and didn't hardly drift at all..if any after 5 hrs... Most tubes...drift considerably in their first several years of life.
The "drift" speaks as much about the amp as tubes.
I rarely ever have to re-bias.
Its usually where i left it.