Got my JCM800, ditch my Katana MKII Artist?

• Thread starter Vortac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vortac

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im in a dilemma here. I purchased a Katana MkII Artist 100 amp and played it for almost one year, loved playing with presets, downloading patches and so on . Shortly after, I came came across some cash and was able to purchase my first tube amp (JCM800 SC20) and love the thing, I started getting a few pedals too and really started enjoying the analog set up (basic pedals, nothing fancy: overdrive, distortion, delay, reverb chorus, GE-7 EQ, tuner and a comp). My Katana hasnt been touched more than 2 times in the last 6 months.

I've recently made the decision to get a Multi effect processor for my marshall, and Im currently leaning towards Boss GX-100 (4CM, effects only, got no interest on digital Amp or Cab variations), which also gives me the option to play with presets and such whenever I feel like going back to those, but this time on my tube amp instead of the Katana MKII.

I dont intend to ditch my pedal board, just want to experiment with a multi effect processor for a bit since I've never dealt with one.

I dont gig, mostly home playing.

So, with my tube amp that I totally love, a pedal set up that I really enjoy and a multi effect processor to play and experiment, I dont see myself using my katana again anytime soon, is it time to send it to a better home? I know there's usually a tendency to collect amps, different styles, etc, but I just dont see the sense of keeping a great amplifier that I know I prolly wont use, especially now that I'll have the GX-100 to scratch the "preset itch"...

Am I missing something here? should I just keep it? Or should I sell it and put that money away for my next tube amp?

Any input appreciated!

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? should I just keep it? Or should I sell it and put that money away for my next tube amp?

That kinda hit it on the head for me, I guess. That said, I don't own a Katana, and as far as solid state amps are concerned I rate them very close to the top. Still, something about a valve amp does it for me. If I were in your position I'd indeed probably get something like the GX-100 and say goodbye to the Katana...

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there's usually a tendency to collect amps, different styles, etc,
I should be one of the last persons to ask (see sig) about collecting amps :io:, but I just swapped out my Katana100h MkII for a JCA20HV for exactly the same price, and couldn't be happier.
I was in the same boat - really liked the versatility of the Katana and played it a lot at first.
Had it looked to a laptop with the Boss Tone Studio running whenever I was using the amp.
But after a while, my other amps tended to get used more, I have other modeling amps, and the Katana started looking like cash for a new tube amp.

Moony

Reaction score
I would sell the Katana as long as you could get some money for it.
Maybe they'll bring out a newer version next year, then nobody will want the old one anymore, except for very little money then.
That's one of the major drawbacks when buying that modeling (and some similar solid state based) stuff - it's basically the same as with old pcs.
A good and popular all-tube amp keeps its value better.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im in a dilemma here. I purchased a Katna MkII Artist 100 amp and played it for almost one year, loved playing with presets, downloading patches and so on . Shortly after, I came came across some cash and was able to purchase my first tube amp (JCM800 SC20) and love the thing, I started getting a few pedals too and really started enjoying the analog set up (basic pedals, nothing fancy: overdrive, distortion, delay, reverb chorus, GE-7 EQ, tuner and a comp). My Katana hasnt been touched more than 2 times in the last 6 months.

I've recently made the decision to get a Multi effect processor for my marshall, and Im currently leaning towards Boss GX-100 (4CM, effects only, got no interest on digital Amp or Cab variations), which also gives me the option to play with presets and such whenever I feel like going back to those, but this time on my tube amp instead of the Katana MKII.

I dont intend to ditch my pedal board, just want to experiment with a multi effect processor for a bit since I've never dealt with one.

So, with my tube amp that I totally love, a pedal set up that I really enjoy and a multi effect processor to play and experiment, I dont see myself using my katana again anytime soon, is it time to send it to a better home? I know there's usually a tendency to collect amps, different styles, etc, but I just dont see the sense of keeping a great amplifier that I know I prolly wont use, especially now that I'll have the GX-100 to scratch the "preset ich"...

Any input appreciated!
Depends on whether you gig, and need a backup. Always have a backup. If not, and you're not using it, sell it and get something you'd use.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
When I sell anything I always consider how much it would be to replace it. For example when I had a JVM, all 6 times I sold them for the same as I purchased them so great. However when I bought my JVMJS for £600 and sold it for £700, it was a stupid sell as they are a lot harder to get and double the price to replace.

What I am trying to say is. If you can sell it, and then replace it at the same cost, then go for it.

All that being said, unlike most tube amps, digital gear tends to depreciate at an alarming rate, especially once version 2 arrives. They sometimes have a very short shelf life and a bad ROI so leaving them in the corner gathering dust is just a huge loss of money.

But all in all, well done on the purchase of the SC20, great amp. Own one and love the damn thing.

As for the multi effects, I gave up on them as out of the 500 effects or so that they offer, I would only ever use delay and overdrive, so in the end I find them overkill f(I do own an axe fx 3, and I very rarely use anything but the IRs)

Personally, I would sit down and think of what effects you would really use. If it’s just delay and reverb for example, get a strymon. It’s better to have one hot women than 100 ugly ones.

Vortac

Reaction score
Thanks y'all, great pointers.

I've decided to sell it. I'll put that money away and start eyeballing some small 5-10 watt tube amp to mess around at home. I really dont need a back up since I dont gig, and dont wanna see that amp age away in a corner in my music room...

GX-100 should arrive tomorrow, we'll see what does on my Marshall...

Thx!

tincbtrar

Reaction score
Sell for sure. Those amps are not meant to be repaired, therefore its use until it breaks.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im in a dilemma here. I purchased a Katana MkII Artist 100 amp and played it for almost one year, loved playing with presets, downloading patches and so on . Shortly after, I came came across some cash and was able to purchase my first tube amp (JCM800 SC20) and love the thing, I started getting a few pedals too and really started enjoying the analog set up (basic pedals, nothing fancy: overdrive, distortion, delay, reverb chorus, GE-7 EQ, tuner and a comp). My Katana hasnt been touched more than 2 times in the last 6 months.

So, with my tube amp that I totally love, a pedal set up that I really enjoy and a multi effect processor to play and experiment, I dont see myself using my katana again anytime soon, is it time to send it to a better home? I know there's usually a tendency to collect amps, different styles, etc, but I just dont see the sense of keeping a great amplifier that I know I prolly wont use, especially now that I'll have the GX-100 to scratch the "preset itch"...

Any input appreciated!
The part you are missing is that tubes will eventually die on you.

Sure would be nice to have an extra amp around that you like while you have to wait for tubes to come in, if you don't have spares on hand, or for the amp tech to service it if it needs power tubes and you don't know how to bias the amp. And it doesn't have to be a tube that goes bad, either. Sometimes a capacitor goes bunk. There's a lot of things that can force you to take your amp for repair.

I know I was glad to have an extra amp when that happened to me last time. I learned from the first time. You don't have to learn that lesson.

:2c:

Len

Reaction score
Different tools with different tones for different uses. If you don’t need the money then hold onto the amp for a few years. You might be yearning for its tone down the line.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Amps like the Katana are obsolete quickly--aka disposable. Although wise words above if you are gigging and you don't have a backup. But if that isn't the case move it the second you are done using it.

Vortac

Reaction score
Yup, went on market place this morning, we’ll see if there’s any interest…

Vortac

Reaction score
The part you are missing is that tubes will eventually die on you.

Sure would be nice to have an extra amp around that you like while you have to wait for tubes to come in, if you don't have spares on hand, or for the amp tech to service it if it needs power tubes and you don't know how to bias the amp. And it doesn't have to be a tube that goes bad, either. Sometimes a capacitor goes bunk. There's a lot of things that can force you to take your amp for repair.

I know I was glad to have an extra amp when that happened to me last time. I learned from the first time. You don't have to learn that lesson.

:2c:
Definitely solid advice…
Im thinking if my Marshall takes a dump I can plug my headphones into the GX-100 and practice with that until I repair the amp. Also, im looking into getting another tube amp, albeit smaller, to have a some variety too…

I do have a 1993 Peavey Super Chorus 212 with the celestion speakers, but I’m in the middle of finding someone who can fix a broken push-pull pot on it, apparently my local Peavey shop can’t fix it, he says Peavey don’t make that lot anymore 🙄, but that’s a different story…