Got my new 2x12...speaker change?

• Thread starter shades of blue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shades of blue

Reaction score
I just received my Jet City 2x12 cab a couple days ago...sounds pretty good to me! I am running my Marshall Class 5 and my Fender Blues Jr through the cab (not at the same time though).

Both amps benefit from the cab. They are more full and bigger sounding. I've got to give the edge at this point to the Class 5. The only issue I have with the Stock Jet City Eminence speakers is they sound a little muffled and dark.

I'm considering putting in some new speakers, but was curious what to get. I mainly gig strats on clean with maybe just a touch of grit, so I don't really need speakers built for high gain. What I do like is a very woody sound that can get chimey if I need it for my strats.

I've considered a Vintage 30 and Greenback combination, but would I be better off just sticking with one or the other? Will those two speakers be good for the Fender Cleans or should I look elsewhere?

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

poeman33

Reaction score
Alot of people like the combination of a Celestion V30 and a Celestion G12H30. I'm building a 2x12 and that is what I am going to try. They aren't the the most "chimey" (is that a word?) speakers, but I know the V30's really have a nice woody sound with my Strats. If I could afford them, I'd also consider the Celestion Alnico Golds. Now those would be chimey.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd let the speakers break in first but, possibly go with a greenback and a heritage 30 later. you get rich mids,tight lows with a hint of growl and a nice chimey top end at higher volumes. great otnes between the interplay of those two imo.

shades of blue

Reaction score
Alot of people like the combination of a Celestion V30 and a Celestion G12H30. I'm building a 2x12 and that is what I am going to try. They aren't the the most "chimey" (is that a word?) speakers, but I know the V30's really have a nice woody sound with my Strats. If I could afford them, I'd also consider the Celestion Alnico Golds. Now those would be chimey.

I'm really partial to a more woody tone. Maybe chimey isn't the way to go, simply because sometimes chimey means "trebly"