Guitars and tube amplifiers today are a rip-off

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Older, simpler amps that are maintained and serviced as needed are likely to outlast more modern, complicated gear built today.

I don't think it's a ripoff to spend 3000 dollars on an amp that can easily last 50 more years if you just let a technician give it what it needs every few years for tubes, bias adjustments, and the occasional capacitor replacement.

But it is a ripoff to spend 1500 dollars on a 4 channel all singing all dancing crap-of-the-world amp that nobody can keep running for more than a few years at a stretch due to its complexity and limited parts availability.

I am a far cry from a professional musician, but the gear I use most these days is the gear that is simplest. My three channel amps don't get much run time. My old Marshalls and Fenders get plenty of usage.

Mentalo

Reaction score
Older, simpler amps that are maintained and serviced as needed are likely to outlast more modern, complicated gear built today.

I don't think it's a ripoff to spend 3000 dollars on an amp that can easily last 50 more years if you just let a technician give it what it needs every few years for tubes, bias adjustments, and the occasional capacitor replacement.

But it is a ripoff to spend 1500 dollars on a 4 channel all singing all dancing crap-of-the-world amp that nobody can keep running for more than a few years at a stretch due to its complexity and limited parts availability.

I am a far cry from a professional musician, but the gear I use most these days is the gear that is simplest. My three channel amps don't get much run time. My old Marshalls and Fenders get plenty of usage.

Those old school non pcb designs are still around and available besides the new stuff. It’s just a matter if you are fine with a bare one channel amp without any bells and whistles.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
<Snip>

This.

Or buy gently used at half the price, but avoid "vintage, once [meaning once, for thirty seconds] played by Rock God". Real vintage in need of a complete overhaul can be worthwhile, IF you get it cheap. AND you're prepared to pay for restoration / do the restoration yourself.
Discrete component PCB stuff is repairable, usually, so long as the traces are okay. Anything chip-based, however, is just as disposable as a pocket calculator. You can also buy a completely brand new Katana 3 for basically not much more than it would cost for a tech to tell you your Katana 1 is "Donald Ducked" and he can't buy new boards anyway.
Not so much a bedroom player here, more a still in the wardrobe player myself, but I generally agree with you.

If you want effects, buy pedals. TThey usually work better than the effects built into the amps, they're usually cheap, unless you buy into the boutique high dollar stuff, and move-able from amp to amp.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
An amp with built-in effects, OTHER than spring reverb, or tremolo/vibrato, is an amp that belongs in the bargain bin at the local pawn shop. It's not a professional instrument.

Modelling amps are kind of in a unique place, though. They are often fully professional products but their computer based architecture means they will have a limited useful service life. Some day my Fractal Axe-FX II, which has been out of support for a few years now, will just die and that will be that. Repair options will be limited and may be none at all. All its great tonal capability will then be gone like a fart in the wind.

Last edited:

lespaul339

Reaction score
I think the price of quality gear now days is way too expensive. I'm glad I bought all of my gear when I did, because I couldn't afford most of it with the prices it goes for now new. It honestly turns me off on even looking at new gear.

MKIII900

Reaction score
Im glad I got all my stuff before prices really went through the roof. I have a nice stable of guitars, a nice tube amp/ matching cab, and some recording/rack gear, including an AxeFX II. Most of the stuff I have has at least doubled in the price it goes for used since I picked it up. The upside is that i dont really suffer from GAS anymore. My setup works for me and I dont need anything else to get the sounds I want.

Kutt

Reaction score
But but but the robot sheep "Influencers" tell me otherwise. So clearly you're wrong, Vin.

Add a neck binding to a LP Studio, which incidentally has already been done in the past, and use it as an excuse to jack up price? Count me in!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Modellers earn their keep when you realize that they can get you very close to the sound of a "real" tube amp that has been out of your reach. For example, I can't afford one of Ken Fischer's Trainwreck Express amps. Or an original Hiwatt DR103. But they're in my Fractal, or close enough for me to enjoy them.

I'm going to build a TW Express soon, but I'm still acquiring a few final parts before that starts. More likely I'll build a replica Marshall 2061 Lead & Bass 20 before the Express build is done.

El Gringo

Reaction score
This is an amazing time for gear compared to when I grew up lusting for gear in the 80s.
1000% right as there are more choices across the board and at multiple price points than when were growing up in the late 70's and early 80's . Also with the internet we as consumers can look under the hood and make informed and wise choices versus the old days of having to purchase something and then bring it home and then find out what it can and cannot do .

Latest posts