Hatebreed not boosting there amps.

• Thread starter veryLOUDdsl100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

veryLOUDdsl100

Reaction score
Several years ago I made a comment that the band hatebreed did not use any overdrive pedals to boost their amps, while using the jcm2000 series. I got a lot of backlash from that saying they did . I had a cousin on tour with them as he knew they did not. There is also a youtube video out now showing they do not, on a rig run down. There is no point to this post but to clarify that you can still play modern metal on any jcm2000 or hell a dsl100 or dslhr model without having to boost it with a overdrive and it still sounds great.....but I still boost my green channel lol for fun. Cheers!!

PelliX

Reaction score
Boosting it with be more for tightness/feel but the DSL is perfectly capable of getting heavy tones on its own especially with hot pickups.

That's probably the clue; put some hellfire hot active pups in a guitar and your amp is a whole different beast. Don't expect Meshuggah tones from a single coil strat.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
That's probably the clue; put some hellfire hot active pups in a guitar and your amp is a whole different beast. Don't expect Meshuggah tones from a single coil strat.
Yeah you gotta have the gain from somewhere. A Marshall DSL would need fairlyy hot pickups.
Conversely, if you have vintage output pickups, you'd need a boost or a super hot amp like the red channel of a 5153 to get heavy.

You can stage the gain many different ways... but the gain needs to be there somehow.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t realize there were that many people arguing over Hatebreed’s gear and tone. When I had my DSL I was using a Dimarzio Norton, and I got plenty of gain. But I was playing sludgier stuff, didn’t really need a razor sharp tone.

Dozer

Reaction score
Here's the thing. At those kind of stage volumes (which I have played at many times) you don't need a ton of saturation or distortion to sound heavy AF. I caught Hatebreed not long ago when they were on tour with Megadeth and yeah the guitars sounded phenomenal. I'm not saying you could play Hatebreeds songs with Angus Young's rig or anything but a JCM2000? Absolutely no brainer.

Too many local players I see/hear use brutal levels of distortion for stuff like John Mellencamp and AC/DC. It grates on my ears TBH and I rarely stay for more than a set. What I do is if I need that compression that pre-amp gain provides, I use a Dynacomp or one of the comps in my Helix. Especially if there are 2 guitars in a band, the distortion needs to be dialed down. Not only will it sound bigger and better but your technique will improve. Also I run my masters pretty high. Around 3 o'clock on the dials.

My gain knob never goes past this on my 100HR and I play stuff like RATT, Dokken, Scorpions etc etc on it. Just boosting (no gain just level) with an SD-1 model and Dynacomp for solos. Main guitar is loaded with EMG 57/66 set. 022e84bf-289c-4e4a-85d6-2298ea6f5e39.jpg

Last edited:

Cossack

Reaction score
I never got into Hatebreed, but I recall reading somewhere that they use (or used to use) TSLs. Is that correct?

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I didn’t realize there were that many people arguing over Hatebreed’s gear and tone. When I had my DSL I was using a Dimarzio Norton, and I got plenty of gain. But I was playing sludgier stuff, didn’t really need a razor sharp tone.
Norton is plenty into a DSL without a boost doing any music I would ever play

clutch71

Reaction score
I am def not on a level of Hatebreed but I don't boost my JCM2000 DSL 50 for modern metal tones and haven't for a long time. I keep the bass lower, deep off, tone shift off, mids maxed, and gain just past noon. Treble and Presence to taste generally below noon. I also bias the amp around 35mv per side. Green back (personal preference) or Marshall vintage loaded cabs.