Have you ever had preamp tube overload?

• Thread starter ledvedder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ledvedder

Reaction score
Over the years, I've amassed so many different types of preamp tubes, I think that sometimes I just go into overload with them. Trying to determine what combination sounds best with each amp. Tungsol, Sovtek, JJ, Mullard, Ruby, Sylvania, RFT, etc. Then, there's the variants... 12ax7b, 12ax7c, 5751, 12at7, ecc83s, ecc803s, LPS, etc.
Sometimes, I just think it's a meaningless exercise.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I have a nice collection also but I always come back to a few of my favorites in most of my amps! It’s fun tube rolling but can get to be a pain sometimes and can suck up a lot of time!

ledvedder

Reaction score
It is...just watch Glenn Fricker's video on tube rolling.
The "null test" says it all...

I'm sure the same thing applies to preamp tubes...right?

Exactly what I'm starting to believe. If only I could have all the money back that I've wasted over the years on tubes!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The main thing I want out of a tube is longevity. It's something I've thought a lot about over the last couple/few years, as I'm still running the original Winged C's on my YJM100. That's a long time, dude. I'm now wondering, which tube manufacturers are noted for longevity? Has any test like that ever been done?

anitoli

Reaction score
It is...just watch Glenn Fricker's video on tube rolling.
The "null test" says it all...

I'm sure the same thing applies to preamp tubes...right?

This is great, the money i'll save on tubes means, MORE BEER! :D
Seriously he shows something i have suspected for a while. I am on record saying the difference between an EL34 6100 and a 5881 is nil.

Seanxk

Reaction score
There's always something about these claims where you know it's not going to be a good test, the first point I stopped the video was when I realised he was going to do this test with a 5150, he's going to win.

Marshall 18w, JTM45 etc etc.............different story

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to do all that crazy tube experimenting in all of my crazy guitar amp collection. I have a lifetime and then some more of 12AX7's and even many variants like 5751 and then all the 12AT7, 12AY7, 12AU7, 12DW7, 12BZ7 ect ect. NOS and new production.

I found these last few years that I prefer just to load up good strong new production stuff, mainly the 12AX7 China made. I do still like some of the 80's and 90's China tubes and still have a good stash of those, but the new production stuff sound great to me, so I just use that these days.

CROWEMAG

Reaction score
I have landed firmly on Chinese 12AX7's. I got a bunch of Beijing factory made, high gain examples and some 9th gen as well. Suit me just fine.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
What I have found with the new China 12AX7's is they are very rugged. I have not had any issues running them in cathode followers and such. Mainly like the DSL/TSL amps where that V3 cathode follower position is punishing on the glass.

A stock JCM 2000 DSL 50/100 TSL 100/122 highly exceeds the voltage specs for a 12AX7 in that V3 position. I measured over 425VDC on the plates and the heater-cathode spec of 180VDC was well over 230VDC.

wakjob

Reaction score
There's always something about these claims where you know it's not going to be a good test, the first point I stopped the video was when I realised he was going to do this test with a 5150, he's going to win.

Marshall 18w, JTM45 etc etc.............different story

I'm kinda in the same boat...
The more basic/simple the circuit, there might be more chance of an audible change.

Every modern high-gain amp that has 4+ preamp tubes, has less of a noticeable affect.
V1 being the most important...I just try to find the one with the least amount of hiss & noise.

StingRay85

Reaction score
ECC83 can have a multiplification factor of roughly 85 to 110. That's massive difference depending on the design of the amplifier. The real question is if Mu is related to the sound quality. It's not because a signal is roughly amplified by a factor of 110, that is does that with the same quality, just like a speaker with 100dB/W is the same as any other speaker with same sensitivity. For a fair comparison, one should compare tubes with the same measured Mu, because every tube really is different. For instance the old RFT tubes used in Marshall typically measure high in Mu, that's why they are popular for high gain Marshall

Latest posts