HAZE 40 Problem

• Thread starter FLTWRENCH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FLTWRENCH

Reaction score
When switching channels either from foot switch or top panel i get a loud popping sound.....this doesnt happen if the reverb and effect controls are all the way off, (Globally disabled). But if any of them are on i get the popping when switching channels. Absolutely driving me nuts because essentially i cant use any of the built in effects without the channel switch popping....anyone experience the same?

troberts

Reaction score
yeah, i get the same thing... programmed my gt-8 to do amp channel switching and it does the same thing only not quite as loud. very audible on stage. it's honestly the only thing i don't like about the amp.

Sutti

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Finally i've found my Sound :fingersx:
After hours and hours spent testing Amps in the stores and too many miles done to travel from store to store i felt in love with a Haze 40W Combo in the store just around the corner ... :lol:

Well, as i told i love all about the amp but, also my Haze is popping up by switching from clean to overdrive and it is very very loud and unfotunately it's impossible to switch during a song on stage without hearing it out also if the rest of the Band is playing.
For the moment i'm avoiding switching by using Pedals but this not my Idea for the future so i have to found a solution and i really hope that the solution is not to substitute the amp with another modell :(

Well i'm a guy from Switzerland and i'm currently in contact with guys in german forums which are claiming the same problem with the switch but as the amp is quite new there is a very poor amount of experiences with it around.

So my question is, do you have any news on this problem already?

Thank you and ... keep on rocking :dude:

Greets

the_best_of_fools

Reaction score
All I've heard so far is that there seems to be a recall in the UK. I read this on the TDPRI forum. Looks like someone's amp coughed a few sparks and the local Marshall dealer told him later Marshall have asked for all Haze 40 combos to go back for a modification due to a fault. This could be a Europe thing only, due to the different voltage over there.

It's too bad because I was looking forward to buy a combo 40. Now I think I'll wait a little for things to settle.

tbof

edit: The problem is not limited to the UK. Someone else's combo 40 blew up 10 minutes after he had started playing it.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/179878-marshall-haze-40-combo.html

GodofWar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend bought one a couple of months ago here in the States. Sounded great, but the second time it was used, by me, half way through a set it squealed & cut out. I plugged in directly to the same (clean) channel, worked for a bit, same thing. Turned out the fuse on the power circuit was blown. Replaced it & the same thing happened. Brought it to a Marshall tech, replaced the Mesa Boogie tubes that were in it, rebiased, sounded good in the shop. Played it Tuesday night, got the popping when changing channels or fx, & it was running & smelling hot. Pulled the guitar cable, put it on standby & it cooled down but still heard a pop periodically. Time to call Marshall.

srv

Reaction score
This is under the Haze 40 combo thread. Still have not heard from marshall on this and my repair tech says there is nothing about this on marshalls repair web-site

Greetings again

The good folk at Marshall have issued an ECN under the title of "010-MHZ40 Company Statement issue 1" that deals with out-of-spec leakage current that can occur in 4 capacitors and cause a small DC offset voltage that becomes audibly noticeable when range switching. Although it only occurs in a very small percentage of units, those in which it does occur are more likely to become problematic once the internals have warmed up a bit.

The document details a procedure for the replacement of 4 x capacitors and 3 x resistors that cures the problem. Marshall have released an upgrade kit code "KIT-00021" to Marshall Distributors that contains the appropriate components and documentation.
If you think your Haze has this problem your first course of action should be to contact the folks from whom you purchased it; they will be in a position to sort it out through the distribution chain in your country.

Cheers

Argus

spikei

Reaction score
hi, just to add that the Marshall haze 40 has a 3 year warranty if you have bought it new and registered it with them, so they will cover it under warranty. mine was sorted withing 3 days and is working well, great amp.

srv

Reaction score
The problem I have is that I bought it online from a authorized dealer in Kansas I am in Florida. Shipping etc..............

I have a factory service center 40 miles away. Neither of us can get a response from marshall about this problem.

I would prefer to have this one fixed as I do not want roll the dice and start this whole ordeal over again with another amp.

Hope this clears up my situation, the warranty is nice but who pays to ship this "featherweight" back to the dealer?

Emails to marshall go ignored, customer service is not bad, just non-existent!!!:mad::mad:

MKB

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any solution to the popping sound problem yet?
The one I bought used off ebay a few weeks ago came with a Korg USA QC sheet, which probably means this amp was returned to Korg for rework and resold as a factory refurb. I bought my Vintage Modern as a factory refurb and it came with the exact same sheet. This Haze 40 does not pop when switching channels at any volume or control setting, even after several hours of use, the only problem it had was a microphonic preamp tube and underbiased power tubes. So they have a solution to the popping issue.

I'm a bit disappointed in Marshall with their reaction to this problem. Any tech should be able to get schematics and the service bulletins for the amp as it is expensive and impractical in many cases to ship the amp back to an authorized service center. They should be going out of their way to make sure customers can get the amps fixed quickly and inexpensively.

srv

Reaction score
Finally received an answer to my e-mail to Marshall USA asking about the repair kit Argus mentions in his post.

I received a form letter from KORG that advised me to take the amp to a service center. I had already done that and the tech sent it home with me because he could get no help from KORG tech people or their web-site.

But they did provide some phone numbers so I used them. The first call got a very nice, but I was soon to find clueless woman who told me KIT-00021 did not exist. She promised to "get right back with me though"?

Next call to the other number got a product support guy. We went round and round for 45 minutes.

Him: The questions you are asking I don't know the answers too. You can't trust what you read on any non-Marshall site. We would know if there was a problem. If there was a problem it was fixed before the amps got to the US.
Take it to a service center the tech guys will help figure out what the problem is....

Me: Does this kit exist? Repeat five times with only the stuff above for an answer.

Him: What was the number again. Well our kits don't have dashes in there numbers. Yes the kit does exist and it is for the MHZ40C. But I don't want to tell you that it will solve the problem and by the way we don't have it in stock

So I guess non Marshall information is better than what they have to offer, no wonder the tech threw his hands up and gave it back to me and suggested returning the amp. He has since ordered the kit but says he does not expect it anytime soon.

KORG guy reminded me that the time it spends in the shop does not count against my warranty time though, what a joke!:wtf:

Any one for a Ceriatone? They are in Malaysia and have better more responsive tech support.:fingersx:

Sign me up.

jcpsaravia

Reaction score
Hello All.

Although you might be surprised I am from Costa Rica(excuse me for my not very good english) and an unfortunate owner of a problematic Marshall Haze 40 Combo. I am experiencing these main 2 issues:

1. A very loud Popping sound when I switch channels(clean and overdrive), with the reverb set on.

2. I am getting an annoying static(like when bacon is fried) sound on the clean channel, when I turn the bass know clockwise and the amp has been on during about 20 minutes. This behavior is not present in the overdrive channel.

I reported these 2 issues to Marshall separately earlier today.

rockbutt

Reaction score
This is under the Haze 40 combo thread. Still have not heard from marshall on this and my repair tech says there is nothing about this on marshalls repair web-site

Greetings again

The good folk at Marshall have issued an ECN under the title of "010-MHZ40 Company Statement issue 1" that deals with out-of-spec leakage current that can occur in 4 capacitors and cause a small DC offset voltage that becomes audibly noticeable when range switching. Although it only occurs in a very small percentage of units, those in which it does occur are more likely to become problematic once the internals have warmed up a bit.

The document details a procedure for the replacement of 4 x capacitors and 3 x resistors that cures the problem. Marshall have released an upgrade kit code "KIT-00021" to Marshall Distributors that contains the appropriate components and documentation.
If you think your Haze has this problem your first course of action should be to contact the folks from whom you purchased it; they will be in a position to sort it out through the distribution chain in your country.

Cheers

Argus

Take your Haze 40 amp to the dealer in Costa Rica -Alegro- for repair, since it is still under warranty.

Dr.Death

Reaction score
Got a Haze 40 this weekend...killer tone...for about 20min...

Then a buzz...small pop...and the smell of ozone...footswitch went wild with flashing LED, then the amp was dead.

After viewing several posts regarding this amp including the above problem as well as noisy switching, I took it back and got a different amp (it almost killed me to return a Marshall for a SpiderValve). After playing Marshalls for twenty years (I have several half stacks) I was very disappointed to see that Marshall has not posted anything on the web officially regarding this amp which obviously has some quality control issues...sent them an email as if they ever read those...

I would recommend that anyone thinking about purchasing this amp wait for about a 6-12months until the fallout as I suspect this won't be the last post regarding the death of a Haze 40.

MKB

Reaction score
I really hate this amp is getting such a bad reputation. I've done quite a bit of playing with mine and it is honestly one of the best amps I have ever owned (my other amps are a 100w Vintage Modern 2466 head with a seventies Greenback cab, a JMP-1 rack rig with iso cab, a Tweed Deluxe clone, and a 1959 tweed Bassman). You can indeed get all the problems ironed out, and if you can find good non-microphonic tubes, it has some of the best tones I've heard from a combo amp.

But it is a real shame owners are having such problems with new ones, and having such issues getting the new product fixed. It should come from the factory with all the problems ironed out. I was lucky in that mine was already reworked by Korg USA and I assume the problems were fixed. I haven't had any problems with mine other than the microphonic tubes.

I'd suggest if anybody buys one, they make sure the updates have been made to the amp, or if possible buy a factory refurb which should have all the problems worked out. At least make sure the store you bought it from has a Marshall certified tech that can gain access to the repair information. It is a great sounding and reliable amp once all the fixes are made to it.

TexasEd68

Reaction score
Purchased my haze 40 about a month ago. totally satisfied. played in 10 gigs so far and, knock on wood, have had no issues as of yet.

pacAir

Reaction score
I really hate this amp is getting such a bad reputation. I've done quite a bit of playing with mine and it is honestly one of the best amps I have ever owned...

I have to agree, the Haze 40 is a great little amp and is one of the best portable rock amps (and easily the best sounding lightweight amp) I have owned. I think once the problems get sorted out that the amp will settle into a groove and we'll see Mercury Magnetics come up with a magnetics & power supply upgrade kit that would make the amp a KILLER secret weapon! I hereby volunteer to be the first guinea pig! :fingersx:

The weak power supply and sub-sized magnetics (not to mention the lack of a choke, which most small amplifier manufacturers forgo for cost, size and weight considerations) are the main areas that could stand with some improvements to take this design to the next level.

That said, the Haze 40 as it comes is still a credible amp for small clubs or mic'ed/D.I.'ed for larger venues). To me, the heavy steel chassis and great sounding basic design make it "worthy" as an upgrade vehicle into a near-pro-level product unlike anything Marshall has or is currently making!

Steve

givman77

Reaction score
I went out the last couple of days to buy a marshall haze 40 amp.
Went to 3 stores and tried a couple floor samples and 2 taken right out of the bax and they all had the same problem. The clean channel work great but as soon as you hit the button for overdrive....nothing. Sounded like the clean channel only quieter.
I wrote marshall to see this is a common problem or a recall. I am waiting for a response. I really like this amp but i am gun shy now. Anyone out there experience this? It just seems odd that 3 different stores all had the same problem.

MontyMarshall

Reaction score
Re: HAZE Head Problem

I have the Haze 15 Watt Head and use with the 2 matching cabinets (Stack). I used this amp for a few months and loved it until yesterday. When I plugged in to play as usual in my house the distortion channel sounded very low and clean. I am contacting Marshall since I have only had this for a few months and bought brand new from Sam Ash. I am not happy at this time and read other posts and this may seem to be a problem widespread for Marshall. Please let me know if this has happened to you. I will keep you posted!!

Attachments

• HazeSGPic.jpg
    HazeSGPic.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts