Hello from snowy Southern Ontario

• Thread starter Udo6990
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Udo6990

Reaction score
Finally got around to saying hello ........ I guess I qualify as a Marshall guy. First Marshall amp was back in 1977.
Got a new 2203 Master volume with the top cab. Later added a 76' bottom cab. Seems funny now but back in those days we could play a bar and crank out with full stacks of Marshall amps. It was awesome...... I still remember the smell of the heads 'cooking' on the stage. Anyway, a short story about one reason I'm a Marshall guy for life.
On one tour the road crew rolled a cube van, luckily nobody was hurt but my amp and cab flew out of the back of the truck into the ditch. It was winter so the snow prevented a lot of damage. I was almost in tears... when we got everything back to the gig the cab was OK just had the vinyl cover, (the days before road cases). The back of the head was smashed around the plastic vent! Amazingly, everything else was OK, I used it that night and still have it 45 years later.
My Dad was a woodworker so when I got home we peeled back the Tolex and he repaired the wood etc.. I got a new top vent and you can't tell, it looks perfect! About 15 years later I decided to replace the grill cloth, when I removed the speakers I found all the 'cheese head' bolts holding the speakers in all bent ! So the force of it hitting the ground and the weight of the speakers bent all the bolts....... and that's all that got damaged.
I also have a 1978 2203 Master volume, a 1979 2204 Master volume, a 1979 50 watt combo, JCM 800 2 x 12 speaker cab. A Marshall 9200 power amp with the JMP-1 pre amp. Also have some JCM800 cabs. Funny I've never gotten around to plugging everything in all at once and cranking it up.... when I do you'll probably hear it.
Nice to be here.................

Attachments

• DSC09146 (2).JPG
    DSC09146 (2).JPG
    998.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Udo6990

Reaction score
Wow ... and welcome onboard ! Nice collection . Cheers from southern Qbec :) Light snow here tonite as well .
Hey man...... la belle province ! Still has the best women.... I used to live in Sainte-Thérèse when I was a kid. Ontario is nothing compared to the snow we played in as kids in Quebec!
Good times at the old Mustache Club in Montreal on Closse Street ............

Last edited:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Hey man...... la belle province ! Still has the best women.... I used to live in Sainte-Thérèse when I was a kid. Ontario is nothing compared to the snow we played in as kids in Quebec!
Good times at the old Mustache Club in Montreal on Closse Street ............
Super ! Everything you mentioned ... right -on bro . Oh , those mustache show nights ... We were all there . Great times . Real good old days . Great mems ,tks !

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Cool story, thanks and welcome!

I was noticing that all your cabs have speakers that have large dust caps, care to share what you have loaded?

Udo6990

Reaction score
Cool story, thanks and welcome!

I was noticing that all your cabs have speakers that have large dust caps, care to share what you have loaded?
All my Cabs have the original speakers, top cab 77, and bottom 76 both have 30 watt black backs. the rest are JCM 800 era w/ larger cones. G12- 65. Same in the Combo but it has the smaller dust caps.

Attachments

• 1f (2).jpg
    1f (2).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

jmp45

Reaction score
Welcome Udo, awesome story, amazing gear too! My 73 1959 stack rolled the head off the top 2nd week I had it. Things happen when you play loud.. ;) Cables saved the head case, but it put a big dent in the bottom right 60B cab. Still worked, old amps are tough. One thing I've never noticed til now is the vertical spacing between the speakers are different from the 60A to 60B. I've not opened up my 60A and B cabs at the same time, something new every day.

Udo6990

Reaction score
Welcome Udo, awesome story, amazing gear too! My 73 1959 stack rolled the head off the top 2nd week I had it. Things happen when you play loud.. ;) Cables saved the head case, but it put a big dent in the bottom right 60B cab. Still worked, old amps are tough. One thing I've never noticed til now is the vertical spacing between the speakers are different from the 60A to 60B. I've not opened up my 60A and B cabs at the same time, something new every day.
You got some sweet gear in your picture. Looks like a place I'd like to hang out.....

Udo6990

Reaction score
Super ! Everything you mentioned ... right -on bro . Oh , those mustache show nights ... We were all there . Great times . Real good old days . Great mems ,tks !
Yeah.... back before the cell phone was invented! If only I had pictures of the things that happened back then. The strippers would come into the club after their shows and sit at the front with no panties of course and give us a show!!! The crowd was always throwing up hash, and doobie's on top the of stage.... I only have a few pictures of the band at the Mustache.

Last edited:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Awesome pics ! I also know that everything you're saying is spot on and was happening ! What a place that was , eh ! The Montreal scene was happening big time back then . Right next to the Montreal forum .... where the first show I ever saw was Led Zeppelin in 1974 ! Great memories bro ! Much appreciated ! :) :)

Udo6990

Reaction score
Awesome pics ! I also know that everything you're saying is spot on and was happening ! What a place that was , eh ! The Montreal scene was happening big time back then . Right next to the Montreal forum .... where the first show I ever saw was Led Zeppelin in 1974 ! Great memories bro ! Much appreciated ! :) :)
Wow! first show Led Zeppelin! amazing man........

Fernieite

Reaction score
Hey man! Sure looks like you belong here. :agreed:
Welcome from TO. :)

How about sharing some of those photos of the band you were in back in the day?
That was some "timex test" your Marshalls went through during the roll-over! Kinda reminds me of the Pete Traynor test! :dude:

Last edited:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Error

Attachments

• New tele.JPG
    New tele.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: