Help Deciding which one please!!! - Updated

• Thread starter matt748
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall JTM45 Reissue Head and 4x12 Cab or Bluesbreaker 1962 2x12 Combo?

• JTM45 Head and 4x12Cab

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Bluesbreaker 1962 2x12 Combo

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Wait for the 1974x

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

matt748

Reaction score
Hi All
Probably been asked before bit….
After having to send back a brand new faulty 1974x this week, the Current wait time from Marshall is over 3 months for another one.
i can get a Marshall JTM 45 reissue Head and 4x12 Cab or a 1962 Bluesbreaker reissue Combo Much quicker.
i love Classic and Blues Rock and only play at home with an Attenuator.
Neither would need to be moved once home or leave the house as i only play from myself, so size and weight not a factor.
i have looked at loads of videos and read reviews of each but am wondering which is the preferred option?
or maybe I pick neither and wait 3 months for the 1974x
i am just struggling to decide.

V-man

Reaction score
Not my style but considering my pref (and your style) the BB is the coolest of the bunch… and as a rule I do NOT like combos.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see your dilema.

I don't care for the BB combo.

If i were you based on the info given? Id go JTM45/412 first then the 1974x 18 watter.

I prefer the bigger sound always(no i didn't say higher volume)of the JTM45. Great pedal platform if you want a lil more aggressive rock sound.

The 74x is great too. Straight in R&R. Sexy ton of tone. Both amps have it going.

Id prolly wait for the 74x. I just want to play the shit out of it when i hear clips. I don't usually care for EL84 driven amps either. I do very much like this one.

IMO you can't do wrong with the JTM45 evar. Either.

So like i first stated. I see your dilema.

V-man

Reaction score
I can see your dilema.

I don't care for the BB combo.

If i were you based on the info given? Id go JTM45/412 first then the 1974x 18 watter.

I prefer the bigger sound always(no i didn't say higher volume)of the JTM45. Great pedal platform if you want a lil more aggressive rock sound.

The 74x is great too. Straight in R&R. Sexy ton of tone. Both amps have it going.

Id prolly wait for the 74x. I just want to play the shit out of it when i hear clips. I don't usually care for EL84 driven amps either. I do very much like this one.

IMO you can't do wrong with the JTM45 evar. Either.

So like i first stated. I see your dilema.

Didn’t you just get a BB?

What makes that amp underwhelming (considering precisely what it’s built for and those buying it for that purpose)?

Also, I’m confused how a JTM is the “all day long” choice when it’s the same circuit as the BB (being in combo form with tremolo).

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Get this, its purple.

And this too

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

V-man

Reaction score
You might want to consider the role of speakers as well.

Many are advocating a JTM/412. Assuming 25W GB speakers you have a JTM pushing against 100W of GB, vs the same wattage BB pushing 50W of GB (the 1974 sort of behaving differently from all).

If you want the most clean headroom, the JTM/412 will yield the most. If you want minimal headroom (which seems counter-intuitive to your tastes) the 1974 has it by design rather than speaker breakup. If you want headroom but also want to be able to push the speakers, the BB will do that better than the JTM head/412.

matt748

Reaction score
Thanks to those who voted and gave some really useful assistance in deciding which option to go for.
I decided to get the JTM45 with a 1960TV 4x12 and can confirm it’s awesome.
I’m very happy with this set up and maybe one day I’ll add the 1974x to the stable….

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to those who voted and gave some really useful assistance in deciding which option to go for.
I decided to get the JTM45 with a 1960TV 4x12 and can confirm it’s awesome.
I’m very happy with this set up and maybe one day I’ll add the 1974x to the stable….
Nice pairing man. Bet that’s sweet!

I may end up with a 74x too.:hmm: