Help: DSL40CR - Dialing in AC/DC & Metallica - but controlling gain/bass?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
I'm new to the DSL40CR and like that it can go from Classic to Metal stuff and I'm fine with having to touch the knobs to do so. I need two EQ setups hopefully:

1- AC/DC (like a TNT era sound)
2- A heavier sound (Enter Sandman-ish)

I can get close but yeah the bass/gain kind of gets away from me and isn't always ideal so far. I'd like to start from a better starting point than my own ignorance. Anyone with a fairly expert take on these?

faerdi

Reaction score
I do not know the DSL yet, but typical setting is clean channel, turn the volume up (5 -7), bass, middle, treble all around 3 and keep gain as LOW as possible. Hope this helps.

svinyard

Reaction score
So I biased the amp down from .40 to .35 and that seems to have helped a bit or at least I think so. The bass sounds fairly tight on OD1 green with the bass and resonance dialed back to like a three. I think I liked your settings too, thanks. On that crunch channel, with minimal gain...I struggle to find a tone that I don't like tho lol. Its all sooo nice.

When I crank the bass up, scoop the mids a bit and dial the Gain to noon on OD1...it sounds pretty Metallica-y to me at least. And I get that Palm mute muffled bark back. Pretty fun. Bass isn't an issue now. Running Channel and Master volumes together in the middle-ish or a bit less to keep it safe on my ears. I think this is better...and diming out the masters totally loses the ability to have separate channel volumes for gain and clean jumps.

The amp is interesting, I love it so far. Yeah I have to adjust a few things to jump from classic rock tones to not-super-modern-metal...but it's nice that I can actually do that on the thing and not need another amp. 6-pedal switch has been nice for volume versatility and channel swaps (the clean is useful!). One thing is that my HSS Strat (on the humbucker) doesn't have as tight of bass BUT...my 1986 Japan Ibanez Proline seems to be a pretty serious upgrade in the rock and roll department. Tone and bass control are noticeably improved on the gainy stuff. I'm far from an expert but even my 11yro son ripped it for a bit and was like "whoa...this is better!".

Last edited: