HELP! Electric Guitar Amp Setup

• Thread starter TFY073105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TFY073105

Reaction score
Got an electric guitar not too long ago and started learning the basics. I can play a few easy riffs and I wanna take guitar seriously. I've decided to make a band in school as an extracurricular project. I have a small Blackstar amp that I bring around, it's really convenient but it could be better. I thought it would be a good idea to invest in a new speaker, a Marshall speaker in particular.

I was deciding whether to get a DSL or an MG, then I saw the 2555x Silver Jubilee and I really liked it. Problem is, I'm overwhelmed with all the terms. After some research I realized that the Silver Jubilee is an "amp head", unfamiliar with the term, I researched even more. Then I saw amp heads would require a speaker to output the sounds. Then I got confused, so do I get another amp that has a speaker? Or do I just need a regular speaker? and what exactly is a "combo"?

Those of you out there that own a 2555x, what speaker pairs best with it?

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Amps come in combos, amp and speaker in one box.
The other option is separate head and speaker cabinets.
Speakers need to match the required impedance of the amp.
Usually 4, 8 or 16 ohms.
Sounds like your amp is a combo. Changing the speaker can have different effects depending in what you are trying to do.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A combo is an amplifier that has a speaker already in it. Combination amp and speaker.

1679542024811.jpeg
A head is just the ampifier in its own cabinet. Connect it to a separate speaker cabinet.

750-DSL1HRStk_detail1.jpg

What speaker pairs up best with a given amp is up to YOU to decide. Tonal preference is personal.

As a beginner, spend your time practicing with the gear you have. It's WAY too early to go on a gear quest.
Once you start doing that, you may never stop and never stop spending money.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Got an electric guitar not too long ago and started learning the basics. I can play a few easy riffs and I wanna take guitar seriously. I've decided to make a band in school as an extracurricular project. I have a small Blackstar amp that I bring around, it's really convenient but it could be better. I thought it would be a good idea to invest in a new speaker, a Marshall speaker in particular.

I was deciding whether to get a DSL or an MG, then I saw the 2555x Silver Jubilee and I really liked it. Problem is, I'm overwhelmed with all the terms. After some research I realized that the Silver Jubilee is an "amp head", unfamiliar with the term, I researched even more. Then I saw amp heads would require a speaker to output the sounds. Then I got confused, so do I get another amp that has a speaker? Or do I just need a regular speaker? and what exactly is a "combo"?

It's fantastic you're getting into guitar and this is a buyers market for used amps, but where you're at the DSL40CR is probably more than enough for you right now. Worrying about cabs and heads and different speakers in maybe a step ahead. A DSL40CR already has an ok speaker. And it has the power to play in just about any band situation with it's low power setting a bit better for home. Still very loud, but better. Don't mess with much more expensive amps, and heads and cabs now. Wait till you've been playing a while and see where it leads you. A players taste for amps and gear develop over time and change often over it.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow and @TonalEuphoria
You do realize this is like a person wanting to drive a car not knowing what wheels or gasoline is, right?

A bit of jumping the gun, but at the same time with what is going on in the world and how it can seriously effect amp production and a lot of musical gear actually, it's not the worst thing to be buying ahead.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score

FIRST> :welcome: to the forum and the world of electric guitar, along with the seeds of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) that often accompanies it! ;)

NEXT, BUT NOT LAST> Some good advice above, along with a fair amount of good natured ribbing! :p

AND THEN> A DSL40CR would be a fantastic upgrade that would serve you quite well into the time when your skills, ears and desires have led you to undertand WHY the speaker may benefit from an upgrade. As alluded to, it will allow you to get "your developed sound" at nearly any volume and have enough oomph to keep up with even the most raucous drummers!

Enjoy The Ride, And Don't Be A Stranger!
Gene

BlueX

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of amplified electrical guitars! It can be a lifelong passion.

Good advice above, but some reminders if you're new to this:
- Always have speaker connected to amp before switching on the amp! Otherwise you risk to damage expensive components in the amp. As mentioned above, speaker impedance need to match marking on speaker out socket on the back of the amp. This can be confusing, but come back here on the forum if you got questions and we will help you out.
- There is high voltage, potentially lethal, inside the amp. This can remain in charged capacitors after amp has been switched off. Don't do anything inside chassis of amp unless you know how to handle this!
- Tubes (or valves) have delicate components inside glass bottles. Rough handling of the amp can damage these, so take some care with your gear.

Regarding choice of amp and speaker I would not rush this. Your musical ear will develop as you continue to play. Best would be if you can test different gear, in local music store or borrowed from friends.