HELP! Electric Guitar Amp Setup

• Thread starter TFY073105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
You
have no idea what I was referring too.

I just feel terrible I can't read your mind. Because that seemed like the likely thing.

Oh wait, no I don't. Lol. :lol:

It doesn't really matter where he's at as a player. If he can afford it and wants it, there's no reason not to buy it. He'll just have to keep practicing and learning like the rest of us to know and use it better.

:hmm:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I just feel terrible I can't read your mind. Because that seemed like the likely thing.

Oh wait, no I don't. Lol. :lol:

It doesn't really matter where he's at as a player. If he can afford it and wants it, there's no reason not to buy it. He'll just have to keep practicing and learning like the rest of us to know and use it better.

:hmm:
Same as above.
(as in: Ok, so let him/her/it speak.)

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fantastic you're getting into guitar and this is a buyers market for used amps, but where you're at the DSL40CR is probably more than enough for you right now. Worrying about cabs and heads and different speakers in maybe a step ahead. A DSL40CR already has an ok speaker. And it has the power to play in just about any band situation with it's low power setting a bit better for home. Still very loud, but better. Don't mess with much more expensive amps, and heads and cabs now. Wait till you've been playing a while and see where it leads you. A players taste for amps and gear develop over time and change often over it.
Where in the hell is is it a buyers market for used amps?..seems to me everything, used and new has gone up at least 30% from 2 or 3 years ago. At least here in the u.s. that's the case.

It doesn't matter where you look, ebay, Reverb, cl.fb, even brick and mortar stores prices are freaking nuts. I need a buyers Market for a couple 2203/04's..lol can you help me out?

10kDA

Reaction score
Congratulations on being motivated to explore the realm of amplified guitar! There's a lot to learn but in small chunks it's easy to manage. Ask questions here and elsewhere and find some players close to you to jam with, and to pick their brains. Youll be fine.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Where in the hell is is it a buyers market for used amps?..seems to me everything, used and new has gone up at least 30% from 2 or 3 years ago. At least here in the u.s. that's the case.

It doesn't matter where you look, ebay, Reverb, cl.fb, even brick and mortar stores prices are freaking nuts. I need a buyers Market for a couple 2203/04's..lol can you help me out?

Sorry to hear that and not being able to help you out. On the eastcoast here, my local Craigslist literally has 7 times the amount of gear it's had for a decade. Lots of Marshall's, Mesa's and various other brands. New gear has gone up. But right now, people are tightening their belts here. And everyone is selling their used gear equipment.

Use Nashville Craigslist for example. There are almost 3000 listings.

Last edited:

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Here's a nice SV20H. Normally goes for $1749, here offered for $1275. And that's just what he has it priced. Which means he'll probably let it go for atleast $1200 eventually.

That's a buyers market.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Here's another. A nice JVM205H. Literally a thousand dollars and change less than new.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TFY073105

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on picking a great hobby.

I would recommend a Combo amp for you and have you focus on learning guitar properly. A combo amp is pretty portable for lessons, playing at your friends house, school and so on. Everything is in one (usually) compact, light package.

Focus on learning your guitar skills. Practice as much as you can and have discipline. When a particular lesson , passage or song gets overwhelming, put in a little more time and concentration.

Did you ever see the movie, Gran Torino? Do you remember the scene where Clint Eastwood’s character takes the kid to the barbershop, to “ man him up”? Well you just received a free hazing , by a few funny guys . Don’t let it bother you. I am sure their hearts were in the right spot and they were just goofing with you, because, you know there is nothing quite so pathetic as a bully. They were just having fun with you.

Stick around and keep asking questions.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
@TFY073105

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on picking a great hobby.

I would recommend a Combo amp for you and have you focus on learning guitar properly. A combo amp is pretty portable for lessons, playing at your friends house, school and so on. Everything is in one (usually) compact, light package.

Focus on learning your guitar skills. Practice as much as you can and have discipline. When a particular lesson , passage or song gets overwhelming, put in a little more time and concentration.

Did you ever see the movie, Gran Torino? Do you remember the scene where Clint Eastwood’s character takes the kid to the barbershop, to “ man him up”? Well you just received a free hazing , by a few funny guys . Don’t let it bother you. I am sure their hearts were in the right spot and they were just goofing with you, because, you know there is nothing quite so pathetic as a bully. They were just having fun with you.

Stick around and keep asking questions.

Solid advice, but who's Clint Eastwood? ;)

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @TFY073105!

I also think that an amp with a built in speaker (combo amp) is best at this time due to convenience. I don't know anything about your Blackstar but I'm willing to bet it's sufficient at this time. If it's lacking distortion then just get a pedal to fix it.

How many watts is that Blackstar?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow and @TonalEuphoria
You do realize this is like a person wanting to drive a car not knowing what wheels or gasoline is, right?

Dude, he’s a teenager who’s just getting his feet wet, and learning the basics just like all of us did. To me, this is one of the feel good threads of 2023, as we are all witness to what could be the beginning of a lifetime journey of fun for the kid.

OP, you landed in the right spot … not only can you find answers to questions you have about Marshall amps, but we have an ‘other amps’ section as well for you to learn even more. Also, be sure to check out the other sub-forums for discussions on guitars / effects / etc. Most of all, have fun, dude!

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Blackstar? If you like the Blackstar, and the issue is yours is just too small now there are Blackstar combos with effects in larger forms. I always was Intrigued by the ID core stereo 100, after having the little ID core 10, which sounds bigger than it has a right to.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
One word...

Kemper.

Shameful.

iu