Help From Experts On Price And Id Help. Pics Added

• Thread starter rpurdue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rpurdue

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm wondering on what a price would be on a 1968 Marshall JMP 50. Apparently it had the power tranny replaced (Now doesn't need the step down converter) with a Metro period correct one, a couple tube sockets, Screen grids and caps changed too. Output tranny original as well as pots board etc. Cosmetically, it has rips etc and is not mint, i'd say fair condition. What do you guys think this guy would be worth? Also, any idea on how i can make sure its legit 68? SN is S/11195. Has the original power cord as well.

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm wondering on what a price would be on a 1968 Marshall JMP 50. Apparently it had the power tranny replaced (Now doesn't need the step down converter) with a Metro period correct one, a couple tube sockets, Screen grids and caps changed too. Output tranny original as well as pots board etc. Cosmetically, it has rips etc and is not mint, i'd say fair condition. What do you guys think this guy would be worth? Also, any idea on how i can make sure its legit 68? SN is S/11195

You have missed out the most important things - pictures!
Front, back, sides, bottom
Top out of case and circuit board
All clear and well lit and focussed.
Don't need someone elses description..................

rpurdue

Reaction score
You have missed out the most important things - pictures!
Front, back, sides, bottom
Top out of case and circuit board
All clear and well lit and focussed.
Don't need someone elses description..................
Thanks. I'm going to take a look tonight and will snap some photos! Appreciate your help :)

TAZIN

Reaction score
Like neikeel mentioned you really need to post pics in order to positively determine if the amp is a '68. If it is a '68 more than likey it would be a Bass spec amp, and based on the serial number could have the earlier filtering (32uF mains, 32uF + 16uF for screens and PI, along with a 32uF + 32uF for the preamp) if it's still intact.

strato2009

Reaction score
1500usd would be really cheap. I would say more like 2300-2600 euros is what that could go for, even with the replaced power transformer, since it's a very desireable amp. Original replacement could be found for around 500 euros, with time.

66SuperTremolo

Reaction score
Sanlitun Soho - Beijing & Kowloon, Hong Kong
1500usd would be really cheap. I would say more like 2300-2600 euros is what that could go for, even with the replaced power transformer, since it's a very desireable amp. Original replacement could be found for around 500 euros, with time.

I'm selling my '68 50w wherever you are ! That has a lot of replaced bits (not on the board) + Mains trannie. 2300 - 2600 euros in that shape :h5:....... that makes mine worth about $5000 USD :D

strato2009

Reaction score
Price will be lower if you're in the UK. The price I had in mind was not "instant sale", that would be what Tom suggested, maybe a bit higher.

Most 50w plexis I've seen have sold for 3000-3500 euros in europe.

strato2009

Reaction score
You can get familiar with asking prices on reverb.com altough they're on the high side(but lower than ebay), but paypal and reverb takes total of 6-7% of the price as commission.

rpurdue

Reaction score
You can get familiar with asking prices on reverb.com altough they're on the high side(but lower than ebay), but paypal and reverb takes total of 6-7% of the price as commission.
Thanks. I've looked around on there but the prices seem ridiculous! My buddy was hoping that he could get $2500 shipped for it. That seems pretty realistic now

neikeel

Reaction score
You have to remember that although it is a proper plexi 50 it has:

-headbox is a large one from 72 onwards, ie missing small box
-it is bass spec
-it has had a not very well installed replacement PT
-the preamp can should be a dual axial 32uF and only has a single
-the pots and EL34 bases have been replaced
-added bas resistors and screen resistors
These add up to a very average players amp, which may sound good but collectors pay the $$$ not you or I.
For me the missing smallbox is the killler, the rest is a simple fix, however it took years to find a genuine working Drake 1202-118 for another amp resto'.

TAZIN

Reaction score
Numerous replaced parts...But it was/is a '68 for sure, and is a Bass spec amp. I'd say $1850 usd max.

rpurdue

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Would it be worth while changing it to non bass spec?

TAZIN

Reaction score
Sure, if you feel that the Lead spec is more towards what you think you want.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
It would probably be best to leave things as is unless you/your buddy can find original replacement parts, at bargains. That would most likely be counter productive for selling.
I am kind of agreeing with most but thinking an average selling price of about $2000 or under. Below $1500 would be low and $2500 in that shape would be high. Good luck on hitting the $2500 mark.

From the numbers in Euro quotes it seems they are willing to pay more there unless they are not taking replaced parts, modifications and condition into consideration.

Excellent condition and original would probably be more like $4000 or €3600 or £2700.

stratburst

Reaction score
The perfect gigging amp
Thanks guys. Would it be worth while changing it to non bass spec?

There is nothing wrong with a bass circuit. They are awesome amps and many prefer them to the lead circuit.

This is a players amp that is far from perfect. Personally I wouldn't mess with an original circuit but in this case I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would clean up a few thing to get it sounding it's best and go from there. For the right price it would make a great gigging amp.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts