Help ID'ing a Les Paul plz

• Thread starter chadjwil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chadjwil

Reaction score
I don't know why I wanna do this because I almost surely just missed out on a ridiculous craigslist deal, but in case I get lucky I was hoping that someone could assist me in finding out exactly what I'm dealing with here. I don't have any pics unfortunately and I think I know what it is but I don't want to influence anyone's train of thought so I'll just describe it the best I can and let you guys fire away.

Black w/ aged white/cream pick guard
S/N 041775 Cant tell if its embossed or stamped but definitely not a sticker
Does NOT say made in USA on the back of the headstock
Body and neck are bound but headstock is not (very thin binding BTW)
Has the "Les Paul model" Sig line on the headstock
No writing on the truss rod cover
uncovered black bobbin pickups that appear to have hex screw pole adjustments
The case is very modern and has the Historic Art logo deal on it, for whatever that's worth

I don't have much more info than that but feel free to ask.

Thanks all!

EDIT: Forget about the hex pole adjusters, I don't know why I had that in my head but the pics show otherwise

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's a fake, so consider yourself lucky you didn't go for it.

chadjwil

Reaction score
That's what the serial number lookup on the net mentioned also, but the more I checked into it the more I started to think it might not be. Do you have any other reason to believe that or is it just the serial number thing?

The Ozzk

Reaction score
That's what the serial number lookup on the net mentioned also, but the more I checked into it the more I started to think it might not be. Do you have any other reason to believe that or is it just the serial number thing?
Can you bring the ad so we can see the picture?

The Ozzk

Reaction score

Fake, fake, fake!!!

- The "horn" flares out too much.
- Pickup rings are Chinese. (misalignment of screws. Epiphone config)
- The bridge has flat head adjustment screws.
00J0J_b7T4grO3Ezv_600x450.jpg

Stay away.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

Yes, that's right, the serial number has already been identified as a fake, and the pictures you've shared are further confirmation. Your instincts to check twice were right :yesway:

chadjwil

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'm certainly no Gibson aficionado and I just didn't know how much faith to put in a web based serial number thingy. One site I checked it on said it was probably a late sixties model, which I did know was absolutely not the case!

Cheers all!

chiliphil1

Reaction score
As stated above, it's a fake BUT if you can get him down to $3-400 it may not be a bad buy. Quality may or may not be comparable to Epiphone, could be a fun project guitar..

mcblink

Reaction score
That ad has been deleted by it's author already lol