Help me choose speaker for old JMP - comparison clip included

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPman

Reaction score
I had some free time and recorded some heavy stuff with my '69 JMP 50 and three different speakers: a 90s Greenback, a pretty new V30 and an Eminence Cannabis Rex that has been a workhorse for a few years.

What you hear is 90% power tube saturation, the preamp (gain) was only on 2. Master cranked to 7. Unfortunately the mic is just a crappy 25 EUR noname dynamic placed in front of the cones, but you get the idea about these really different sounding speakers. I still don't know which suits the best for this amp.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely done - not some YT overdone BS.
Overall, I liked the greenback out of the 3 for that amp at those settings.
Not necessarily the best at chugging, but that's not my style anyway.

I do the same thing with my amps and speakers when I get a new amp or speaker.
Amps get tried out on all the different speakers I have, and speakers get tried out on all the amps I have.
I've never had an Eminence, and some of my amps seem to like V30's, but hard to find an amp the greenbacks don't pair up with - I think I'll keep an eye out for a greenback sale...

Ramhead

Reaction score
Out of these three, greenback sounds best to my ears. If you can pair two of those with G12-H, that would probably sound great with your amp.

jchrisf

Reaction score
Definitely the Green Back for me.

This video is an excellent example of how different speakers make an amp sound. Speakers are probably the number 1 thing to change to improve one's tone. I was never happy with my tone until I changed my speakers and then all my amps sounded great. I thought it was the amp before I swapped the speakers.

LPman

Reaction score
Just realized that the video didn't play on phone for a lot of people - but worked perfectly on PC/laptop/TV - I corrected the issue by converting it to mono (edited the original link with the new upload). Now you can listen it on phone if you prefer to.

Anyway, I also like this Greenback. It's a bit more special than a regular UK one because it's a pretty rare set of the 6402 cone version that were made in the 90s (presumably they are closest to the old Pulsonic cones, Johan Segeborn made a nice comparison clip with these and the old Pulsonics).

But I really like this hemp cone Eminence speaker too. Very fat. For some songs, this is what fills the mix the best with its brutal mid-focused boxy character.

Btw, I like this new cheap V30 as well to my surprise. Not bad by any means.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I do NOT like the V30. I'd pick the Greenback but the CR isn't bad either.

I'd recommend trying a G12M65 Creamback if available.

LPman

Reaction score
I do NOT like the V30. I'd pick the Greenback but the CR isn't bad either.

I'd recommend trying a G12M65 Creamback if available.

I remember liking the G12-65 speakers in 70s JMP combos. I haven't tried the M65 version yet.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be nice to overlap speaker recordings and hear what it sounds like.

Personally, I like to mix speakers for a more full sound. I have a 2x12 with a V30 and Creamback that I use with my Marshall heads.

When I play in stereo, I also play a combo with an Eminence George Alessandro along side the 2x12. Sounds huge and full.

I love it, but I imagine some people wouldn't like it. All subjective.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Greenbacks!

And I try to seek out the 90's Brit-made ones, although I have a few Chinese-made ones and they sound pretty darned good.

That Cannabis Rex sounds pretty darned good also! Out of the three, the V30 sounded least impressive to my ears.

Last edited:

Latest posts