• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help me on a 6100 LM ?

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am an Ampcoholic !!!!

well just went yesterday to guitar center to pick up the LM an as soon as saw it something was out the ordinary , I had to put in the power tubes because the store that shipped sent it with the tubes wrap on bubble plastic, so went I was installing it , I notice that one of the tube sockets was just a little loose so I hesitate in turning up the amp or not but the guy a guitar center told me to do it because the amp has to fired no matter what !!

so I notice a some noise but very manageable ( must be old tubes), so went ahead and put it in high power select the right impedance , fired up :

channel 1 : fucking awesome , all the switches very good it covers a lot of ground , very nice clean channels I ever heard from a Marshall

channel 2 : no fucking sound it did not sound at all . what a bump!!!

channel 3 : very good : I liked everything it has something very superior that the TSl and JVM no question about it the bite , the tight low end , the fat it has all of it

I did not tested the Midi part

I have seen a few videos on you tube on repairs and seen some threads and it looks like the circuit on this head its a nightmare !!

would you still buy that amp ? guitar center might send it to a tech but the tech that they have its no very good I took a TSl and they just didn't have any Idea of what was going on !!

they might sell it for Clearence but i am not sure what to do if buy it cheap and send it to a tech myself or just pass and get another one!

the price right now its a $800

but i think they would goo as low for 500 as is !!!

any help on this topic would be appreciated !!!

Long life to the Marshall forum!!!

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am an Ampcoholic !!!!

well just went yesterday to guitar center to pick up the LM an as soon as saw it something was out the ordinary , I had to put in the power tubes because the store that shipped sent it with the tubes wrap on bubble plastic, so went I was installing it , I notice that one of the tube sockets was just a little loose so I hesitate in turning up the amp or not but the guy a guitar center told me to do it because the amp has to fired no matter what !!

so I notice a some noise but very manageable ( must be old tubes), so went ahead and put it in high power select the right impedance , fired up :

channel 1 : fucking awesome , all the switches very good it covers a lot of ground , very nice clean channels I ever heard from a Marshall

channel 2 : no fucking sound it did not sound at all . what a bump!!!

channel 3 : very good : I liked everything it has something very superior that the TSl and JVM no question about it the bite , the tight low end , the fat it has all of it

I did not tested the Midi part

I have seen a few videos on you tube on repairs and seen some threads and it looks like the circuit on this head its a nightmare !!

would you still buy that amp ? guitar center might send it to a tech but the tech that they have its no very good I took a TSl and they just didn't have any Idea of what was going on !!

they might sell it for Clearence but i am not sure what to do if buy it cheap and send it to a tech myself or just pass and get another one!

the price right now its a $800

but i think they would goo as low for 500 as is !!!

any help on this topic would be appreciated !!!

Long life to the Marshall forum!!!

The amp might be defective so send it back.
It should have been tested before you bought it, but from guitar center I'm not surprised.
There are a lot of similar reports about used gear from guitar center.

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
It should have been tested before you bought it, but from guitar center I'm not surprised.

I didn't buy it its still at the store, under my name but no charge yet !!!!

they will find out if its worthy to sent it to repair or sell it on clearance .

anitoli

Reaction score
Channel two uses 4 triodes, V2 and V6. If V2B or V6A-B are bad that can kill the sound output. Also there are push on connectors on the pc board, if the right one has disconnected or fallen off for channel two that will also kill the sound. If the channel switching is working the MIDI is working.

May just be something simple.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you even read the post??

(sorry, I couldn’t resist) :D

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot going on inside a 6100,...

I’d pass if it was me.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yeah i thought about that yesterday but the big boss at guitar center was not there to approve for new tubes!
Buy it given a return period. Try a new pre tube or 2 and I'll bet you got it made. The 6100 uses different pre tubes for each channel so it could bery well be a dead tube or goofy socket if 1 channel doesn't work. Too good an amp to pass up for that money.

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
Buy it given a return period. Try a new pre tube or 2 and I'll bet you got it made. The 6100 uses different pre tubes for each channel so it could bery well be a dead tube or goofy socket if 1 channel doesn't work. Too good an amp to pass up for that money.
I am here at the store and put two new tubes and there is no sound yet!