• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help me pick my new amp the GAS strikes back!

• Thread starter DtroitPunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DtroitPunk

Reaction score
Ok, quite a few people chimed in on my previous thread but I keep seeing new stuff.

First, I guess it will hep to tell you what I like and am looking for.

Almost ALL my favorite tones are from Marshall set ups. From Dave Mustaine to Dave Navarro, Slash to Steve Jones. Though my playing is more like Sex Pistols SJ than any of these others!

I don't do clean tones a whole lot staying in punk, classic rock and metal territory mostly.

Will be using dual humbuckers mostly too with LP style guitars and an Ibanez RGA42FM.

Was pretty set on a Limited Edition Cream DSL40C but they're getting hard to find plus almost everyone says to get the creamback upgrade. So was going to do that but..

MOST of my playing will be at bedrrom to garage levels. Am looking at possibly getting a decent 2x12 cab and maybe a few different heads.

Originally, was vibing on a Carvin 2X12S with Vintage 30's and was thinking of pairing with a DSl15H. The 15H was wider than the cab and that idea bugged me so I started looking at other budget cab options, leading to the..

Peavey 6505PlusM212 a cab that doesn't even show up on Peaveys site but is for sale at Sweetwater. Convertible back and loaded with Greenbacks...

I will TRY to go and audition some of this gear soon, but I guess I am trying to see what more experienced players and gear hounds think.

The Marshall head, the Peavey 6505MH and the Micro Dark are all on my radar but ultimately a cab and separate heads may be too much for a guy of simple needs. Maybe the DSL40C is all I need?

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE. I don't need to worry about gigging or easy moving of gear and would like to stay under $1000 but will consider more for right gear.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
As I said in the previous thread, figure out which sound you want most, buy the amp that does that sound and then use a pedal to make other noises. Marshall amps are good for 1 tone, unless you step up to the DSL or JVM. If you want low volume I would look at the 1 watt series, either DSL or JVM, if you want versatile I would probably go DSL or used JVM full size, combo, head, etc.. If you're not worried about a price tag go for the YJM, that would fit your needs all the way.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think you'd jive better with a head + cab. If you do a lot of moving around, it'll actually be a lot easier to transport.

Whats your budget? I think a Mesa Thiele 1x12 and Marshall DSL15H would be a damn good combo to go with.

DtroitPunk

Reaction score
I think you'd jive better with a head + cab. If you do a lot of moving around, it'll actually be a lot easier to transport.

Whats your budget? I think a Mesa Thiele 1x12 and Marshall DSL15H would be a damn good combo to go with.

Guess I will have to put more info in original post..

No, I won't be moving much (if at all) just home playing. Budget is sort of flexible. I am really thinking that the DSL40C will give me much of what I am looking for.

I would say maybe $1000 for one Marshall tone option and maybe up to $1500 for a cab and a couple heads?

Must say that I am also considering something like a Catlinbread DLS into my PV VK112. Those things are sweet sounding pedals for sure..

Len

Reaction score
I play my DSL40 at bedroom volumes without problem.

You might want to also check out a Jet City JCA50H or JCA22H.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The JCAs are also cool. They're pretty unique and sound like nothing else in their price range, but still sound really good.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's not Marshally, but more Soldano-y, since it's a circuit clone of the Soldano Hot Rod.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4vcBinczA[/ame]

johnfv

Reaction score
I prefer the JCA20HV (vintage) over the other JCA 20W models but they are all great. For me the tone is excellent, the fact that they are very affordable is bonus. They were threatening a while back to come out with a MIDI controlled head (all knob settings to be stored via MIDI). I would be all over that...

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I disagree that Marshalls are only good for one sound. I really like 4 holers and find them to be some of the most versatile amps around. But they're definitely not bedroom amps.

If you like Marshalls, get a Marshall! You can get a used Haze 15 and a Haze 112 for under $700 and that would fit your needs really well. They sound really good if you're willing to get to know them.

mtm105

Reaction score
Boutique market, except Dr Z, you can find very good used Amp heads at 1/3 retail.

Latest posts