Help with DSL5 C issues, volume drops

• Thread starter h45
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

h45

Reaction score
When I turn on the amp (yes I let it warm up), I get about half volume and the sound is distorted. The distortion is like having your action very low and the strings are rattling on the frets. It's like the speaker is farting out.

After about 2 minutes, generally the sound comes back to normal. However, there have been times while I'm playing the volume goes back down and the rattling/flubbiness comes back. But then eventually it comes back to normal.

I thought it was a bad pre amp tube, so I swapped those out, but this morning I'm getting the same problem.

My DSL40C doesn't do this at all, and I've had old JMP's and I've never had problems. You turn them on and they are ready to go in 30-60 seconds
Any idea what the issue could be?

I bought the amp last week at Guitar Center (used) so I can return it, which I'm starting to wonder is the best bet at this point.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
When I turn on the amp (yes I let it warm up), I get about half volume and the sound is distorted. The distortion is like having your action very low and the strings are rattling on the frets. It's like the speaker is farting out.

After about 2 minutes, generally the sound comes back to normal. However, there have been times while I'm playing the volume goes back down and the rattling/flubbiness comes back. But then eventually it comes back to normal.

I thought it was a bad pre amp tube, so I swapped those out, but this morning I'm getting the same problem.

My DSL40C doesn't do this at all, and I've had old JMP's and I've never had problems. You turn them on and they are ready to go in 30-60 seconds

I bought the amp last week at Guitar Center so I can return it, which I'm starting to wonder is the best bet at this point.
Return it and get another one.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought the amp last week at Guitar Center so I can return it, which I'm starting to wonder is the best bet at this point.
Could be a bad contact in one of the tube sockets. Try spraying Deoxit on the pins of the tubes when you take them out then push them in and pull them ouit again several times to distribute the Deoxit. leave all the sockets to dry out thoroughly, replace all the tubes and give her a whirl.