Heritage G12-65 vs Greenbacks? Can't decide for my JMP

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPman

Reaction score
I finally had the chance to compare my 90s 6402 cone Greenbacks to a more recent Heritage G12-65. Altough not in the same cab, but I positioned the mic to the exact same place. I recorded the comparison so that I can finally decide which one would pair with my JMP better. I've been contemplating about getting rid of the Greenbacks and replacing them with the 65s for almost a year now.

The thing is, now that the recording is done and I have both sounds in front of me, I still can't decide... Perhaps because the difference is so overwhelming. I have never expected two Celestion speakers to have such a night and day difference!
I really like the fullness of the G12-65, it totally removes any icepick frequencies from the JMP. The Greenback sounds thin in comparison but not in a bad way like a harsh V30 would for instance. It's a percussive yet pleasing sound.

The ultimate deciding factor would be to hear them both in a band mix, but I don't have two separate half stacks of both speakers at hand. I suspect that the G12-65 would be the better one in a mix because of its huge midrange, at least for lead playing. I've never had any success hearing myself in a band when playing through icepicky speaker cabs especially when there was another guitarist in the lineup.

I can't even decide which one I like better here recorded, they both sound awesome to me despite being truly apples to oranges. I can't say I got closer to the solution but at least I finally got them recorded side-by-side.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
They both sound awesome to me too.
I am listening on rubbish PC speakers on youtube so I dont think there is much point in picking a fav.

But good to see you are working on your tone with good quality gear, I am impressed.

What?

Reaction score
I would wait until celestion hopefully finally releases their new pulsonic type greenback this quarter before making any decision.

celestion101 said:
Hey Guys...I'm trying to be transparent without giving away the farm, so I can share this...
We (Celestion) have spent loads of time over the last few years studying every single last detail of the early highly coveted Pulsonic cones. We literally retained paper experts and scientist who spent endless time dissecting the old cones and determining what made them so special. For one, the trees harvested back in the day were from really old growth forrestry and as it turns out, this was a big part of the magic. Unfortunately, those old growth resources are not really an option, but we didn't give up! In fact, the work has paid off as we are "this close" to duplicating the originals. On one of my recent visits to HQ, I played through a sweet original 68 Pre-Rola G12M and then did a shootout with a current UK Greenback fitted with a sample of our newest Pulsonic styled cone, and I can assure you that we've damn near nailed it! But in our world, it's all about repeatability. It's easy to build one great 'thing', but manufacturing thousands of something with tight tolerances is a different game! So yes, we are getting there and I'll keep you posted as we progress!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I finally had the chance to compare my 90s 6402 cone Greenbacks to a more recent Heritage G12-65. Altough not in the same cab, but I positioned the mic to the exact same place. I recorded the comparison so that I can finally decide which one would pair with my JMP better. I've been contemplating about getting rid of the Greenbacks and replacing them with the 65s for almost a year now.

The thing is, now that the recording is done and I have both sounds in front of me, I still can't decide... Perhaps because the difference is so overwhelming. I have never expected two Celestion speakers to have such a night and day difference!
I really like the fullness of the G12-65, it totally removes any icepick frequencies from the JMP. The Greenback sounds thin in comparison but not in a bad way like a harsh V30 would for instance. It's a percussive yet pleasing sound.

The ultimate deciding factor would be to hear them both in a band mix, but I don't have two separate half stacks of both speakers at hand. I suspect that the G12-65 would be the better one in a mix because of its huge midrange, at least for lead playing. I've never had any success hearing myself in a band when playing through icepicky speaker cabs especially when there was another guitarist in the lineup.

I can't even decide which one I like better here recorded, they both sound awesome to me despite being truly apples to oranges. I can't say I got closer to the solution but at least I finally got them recorded side-by-side.

My choice over both of those is creamback65, I've owned all three.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like how 2 Heritage 65's sound in a 212 with my SC800. Sound good with my Iconic too.

Thinking about getting 2 more so i can 412 em.

Anyways i have quite a few cabs and speaker combinations. I try what piques my interest. Not spending money on anything else and speakers really are very important in getting amps there.

Good luck man.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Put both sets for sale at a decent but fair high price, l...that way when the potential buyer comes over and cecks them out, makes his decision you'll know which sound best and you can turn down his offer or not hold out for your price and keep the ones that dont sell.

dslman

Reaction score
I really like the Creamback at 1:50 , great full thump for chugging, but I prefer the tone of the greenback on the first comparison. It's a tough decision.

proxy

Reaction score
They both sound terrible on this video.
Do yourself a favour and get yourself XCs and once for all finish with speakers and concentrate on playing.

79 2203

Reaction score
Greenbacks sound way better and if you’re gonna replace them the only choice for a 69 1987 is Pulsonics.

Emiel

Reaction score
Out of the two speakers, the G12-65 gets my vote ever so slightly as they seem to have more of a warm vintage vibe.

It sounds though like ideally you'd want the Greenbacks to be a little fatter, smoother sounding. Personally I'd give the Mojotone BV25M a shot, for me it does just that. I prefer it to a new UK G12M25 reissue. Seeing that you're from Hungary, it's available at Thomann.

TheOtherEric

Reaction score
I have a 1979 4x12 with G12-65 and a 1978 with Greenbacks (technically Blackbacks). All the stuff I play sounds great thru one but poor on the other. VH, Skynrd, anything where you want some chime and top-end fizz? G12M. AC/DC, Zep, Free, other classic rock where you want big mid grind? G12-65.

They are so night and day that i could never use them interchangeably. Need both. So OP’s dilemma makes perfect sense.

rbb2245

Reaction score
Why don't you put both of them in? The 65's on the bottom. It would sound amazing!

dslman

Reaction score
I agree, try mixing them. I like the T75, and Greenbacks, so I put 75s on the bottom, and Greenback's on the top.
The db's are close enough for these two, that would be my concern.

Nadir

Reaction score
Your sound samples are the latest confirmation for me that I prefer the creambacks.
Thanks.

Latest posts