Hey there! New guy from Florida here...

• Thread starter Vortac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vortac

Reaction score
Hey all!

New guy in the forum and super happy to be here. I played a little acoustic back in the 90s at a small church, but nothing too serious. Decided to pick back up about a year and a half ago, but decided to make the switch to electric instead to make it more interesting. Started with the typical Epiphone LP Starter Kit, it was like crack, couldnt get enough of it. A few months later most of that stuff went on for sale and started exchanging for more and slightly better equipment.

As of now, I am playing a 2020 Stratocaster Player Series, a 2019 Gibson LP Standard and a BOSS Katana MKII Artist that I've been using mostly due to its eae of use, modeling features, patches through BOSS Studio, footswitch, etc.

It's been a lot of fun, no doubt, but I knew at some point I'd have to get my hands on a tube amp, I was so curious about the whole thing, I had to mess around with one of those at some point...thats how I got here. Pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a Marshall SC20C...

At this point, we are both going through a very interesting acquainting phase. As a complete rookie here, Im trying to understand the amp, and ll the differences with a modeling amp. I had to open up to learn about pedals, and yeah, well, that was a big can of worms, lol! There's still a lot I need to learn so I couldn't think of a better place to get started than these forums...and youtube :D.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to answer stupid questions like mine every now and then, I promise I'll try not to ask the same question twice ;)

Much appreciated y'all.

Vortac

Reaction score
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Im starting to find myself playing a little more with knobs on both the amp and my guitar. Taking patches away definitely forced me to get my feet wet with settings and tone. Starting to play with pedals now too and seeing how I can get sounds similar to what I was used to with patches, except now with pedals instead. I've attached a photo here in case y'all are curious. Pretty basic stuff, but trying to learn as I go... Delay, Chorus and Reverb are in the effects loop, everything else is on the front...

Thanks again for the support guys!

thumbnail (2).jpg

Eric'45

Reaction score
Im starting to find myself playing a little more with knobs on both the amp and my guitar.
I'm not familiar with the Katana, but I feel like that is one of the points where Real Amps/Pedals still have the edge. I mean the way how you can manipulate your guitars controls, and how the differences between LP/ Strat and other Guitars come out. With many modeling solutions, I fell as if there's some compressor directly at the input, minimizing the subtle differences of Volume Pot rolling, and dynamic playing.

Your Board here is perfectly useable for most tasks, I don't have much more pedals myself. With vintage- oriented Circuits like your Studio Classic, I would recommend trying a Treble Booster. (One or the other might sigh now, oh not again, Eric with his Treblebooster, but my Brain has long been poisoned by the Viper :shrug:)

Vortac

Reaction score
You bring up a good point Eric. Before the Marshall I was doing a lot more of just downloading a bunch of patches that allegedly sound like XYZ, then I'd stick with the one that in my ears resembles the sound the closest and then just crank the backing track and play away. Were as of now, for example, Im trying to find a good tone for Clapton's While my Guitar Gently Weeps, and Im finding myself doing so much research about it and the different elements I can add with pedals, using the TS as boost, dialing down the volume knob now to get somewhat of a clean tone out of the marshall, etc, its like opening the curtains and seeing a whole bunch of different options I was totally oblivious about...

I do have a JHS lbab coming in the mail in a few days, gonna play with it a little bit and see what all the 'fuzz' is about, NPI.

Now, about that treble booster you speak of...sounds like I may have to do some googling right now :D

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Im starting to find myself playing a little more with knobs on both the amp and my guitar. Taking patches away definitely forced me to get my feet wet with settings and tone. Starting to play with pedals now too and seeing how I can get sounds similar to what I was used to with patches, except now with pedals instead. I've attached a photo here in case y'all are curious. Pretty basic stuff, but trying to learn as I go... Delay, Chorus and Reverb are in the effects loop, everything else is on the front...

Thanks again for the support guys!

View attachment 101343

only thing missing in the loop is a boss GE7 eq pedal.
yes you need it.

George Dickens

Reaction score
That's the first time I heard "Florida Man" and I really liked it! BOC was such a solid group.
Ya the whole album is great. It just came out a year ago or so-they were suppose to continue tour but-well you know it got cut short
I think theyre resuming it soon playing in florida sometime this summer with Deep Purple I think

note:IS such a solid group. -J-