Hi folks.

• Thread starter feather of Ravens
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks. Thank you for allowing me to join this fine looking community. I'm very glad to be here.

TLDR: Hi. Did a stupid, sorta.

When I was young I was going to live forever. Fell in love, had kids, grand kids, great grand kids. Blink of an eye. Turns out forever is soon, eh.

A year or so, ago, was sitting at the supper table, with my wife, and said, "Honey, I think I can play guitar." The world stopped. I continued, "Sorry, can't even say I'm just looking because I'm not. I wish to spend my time with you, music, my cacti, and putzing around here." "This is how I wish to spend my time and how I wish to check out."

Got a couple cheap guitars. For some reason wife's ears started to bleed. Then bought a couple inexpensive guitars. Wife's ears continued to bleed. Purchased a couple basses. Wife's ears healed slowly but I cried, "Honey, I don't want to play bass."

I enjoy 50s, 60s, and 70s music with some 80s thrown in. Decided to find out which guitarists played what I liked. Stevie Ray Vaughan took me. Never heard of him before. In my wildest dreams I'll never play close to SRV. Man, he is something. R.I.P. Stevie.

I got some pretty good guitars and the more time went by the more I stared at all them guitars and gazed at them and stared some more but they just would not play them selves. They just wouldn't. Drums! I can beat on them. I do have rhythm. What do you know? I can and I do but it ain't guitars.

Well, while you're at it itis, and finding I really, really enjoyed the Marshall Sound, I thought I'd dip my foot in the Marshall waters. Tube Amps! Well, OK, I jumped in with both feet. Well, OK, I cannon balled it, Man. Ordered two 4x12s, a 2x12, a 100 watt head, and a 30 watt head, Marshalls all. Added a 40 watt head and a 2x12 cab California Tweeds because it looked so great and sounded great in YouTube videos.

All these are going to be here between June and late Oct. Always wanted a white guitar so ordered one of those too. My last guitar (right? RiGHT?). My last hurrah with all this stuff and didn't want to change my mind. AND if wife kicked me through the wall I wouldn't need an attenuator because I'd have the great out doors to play in.

Sadly, as of right now, I can only play several chords and a few scales. My memory is the size of a gnat and my energy level is almost nonexistent but I am determined. Yea, and them spunky squirrels. lol They're so distracting but I love them and we laugh a lot.

Yea, this is how I wish to spend my time.

Thank you for having me.

Be well every one.

PelliX

Reaction score
:welcome: !

TLDR: Hi. Did a stupid, sorta.

I read your post. The only bit I sort of considered a little off was the drums, but hey - no harm done. :D

Stevie Ray Vaughan took me. Never heard of him before. In my wildest dreams I'll never play close to SRV. Man, he is something. R.I.P. Stevie.

You just need to know which songs to pick. Pride And Joy or Look At Little Sister cost me some time. Try Looking Out The Window. If you nail the tone, the riffage is really beginner level. Easy to sing along to if that's your thing, too. :yesway:

Yea, this is how I wish to spend my time.

Many, many worse ways to spend your time. Welcome to the asylum.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcomes. Feels good. Hopefully I've figured this forum posting thinger out. :fingersx:

:welcome:to the forum.

Thank you for the welcome. /wave

We're going to need more specific details. :D

Here you go:

Marshall 1959HW Handwired 100W Super Lead Head

Marshall JTM45 2245 30 Watt Plexi Tube Head

Marshall 1960AV Angled 4x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet

Marshall 1960BX 4x12 100W Straight Cabinet w/Greenback

Marshall ST212 Studio JTM 2x12 Cab

I don't know but feels like I'm needing to get one more head but can't decide if a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt tube head or a 20 watt studio and another Marshall ST212 Studio JTM 2x12 Cab. Just feels like I'm missing one. Not sure.

Welcome to the forum! Good that you eventually found Marshall. I'm an "at home" player, with more gear than talent.

Nice to know there are others out there. :) /wave Thank you for the welcome.

...and pictures!

Will add pictures as the gear arrives.

I read your post. The only bit I sort of considered a little off was the drums, but hey - no harm done. :D

Ah the drums. Yea My guitaring sounds and feels so horribad so I bang on the drums while listening to songs. Not accurately but it gives me back a bit of confidence. Sounds a bit like I'm playing music instead of horse sh.t.

You just need to know which songs to pick. Pride And Joy or Look At Little Sister cost me some time. Try Looking Out The Window. If you nail the tone, the riffage is really beginner level. Easy to sing along to if that's your thing, too. :yesway:

Thank you for the heads up with the SRV songs. I'll give 'er a go and a look-see.

Many, many worse ways to spend your time. Welcome to the asylum.

Yes there are. So glad I'm domesticated now but the crazy bubbles within....calling... waiting... lurkin

Welcome to the forum, MFer!

Thanks much for the welcome. Hehe /wave

Kuga

Reaction score
I don't know but feels like I'm needing to get one more head but can't decide if a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt tube head or a 20 watt studio and another Marshall ST212 Studio JTM 2x12 Cab. Just feels like I'm missing one. Not sure.
Great Marshall collection you have. Always I feels like I'm needing to get one more head too. I sugest you a JTM45.

Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:

Thank you so much for the welcome. :cheers:

Standard starter kit. :yesway:

IKR :agreed:

You're right. I feel so crispy and crinkly. Comes with that fresh new smell too. :D Thank you so much for the welcome.

Great Marshall collection you have. Always I feels like I'm needing to get one more head too. I sugest you a JTM45.

Thank you and thank you for your suggestion. :h5: A JTM45 is one of the heads that are coming.

I don't have any Marshalls until they arrive. For my last one, I can't decide if I go for the JCM800 100 watt OR a ST20H Studio JTM Head
and another ST212 Studio JTM 2x12 cab. I love the look of the ST's but am not crazy about a 20 watter or effects loop and the JCM 800 just seems so similar/like ish to the 1959HW and the JTM45 but with an effects loop which I'm not crazy aboot, also. I'm just not sure what else is out there that compliments the gear I have coming. I don't wish to get too samey, sorta. ( I know the second ST212 would be samey or is it exacty? Would give me four Creambacks ) Trying to get a mix of speakers too. I don't know.

Thank you all for welcomes and comments. Am feeling the love.

Edit: I posted this last little bit in a question in the amp section.

Last edited:

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got yourself some awesome amps coming! No advice from me as to what else to add but did want to comment on guitars. Since you're spending a mint on those amps already, set aside about $1000 for a really nice white American Strat or about $2000 for a really nice white Gibson Les Paul. In spite of having lots of great amps on the way, you probably won't feel truly satisfied until you get a really good guitar, too. There are SRV model Strats if you would like to try to nail his sound. For now, don't worry too much about pedals. Just focus on getting nice tone from your amps and guitar and, as the saying goes, practice, practice, practice! And don't get discouraged if you can't nail any of the above on your first try. Also, trying googling videos on how to play some of SRV's stuff. There are literally hundreds of great videos on the web, many of which are pitched toward beginners. Happy hunting and rock on! Btw, since no one's mentioned it yet, what you're getting into is truly going down the rabbit hole. Look back on your post in 6 to 12 months and I think you'll be amazed at how much you have learned! And this is the best forum on the internet. It is the only one to which I belong and that might be true for a lot of MFers, as we refer to ourselves.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcomes. Feels good. Hopefully I've figured this forum posting thinger out. :fingersx:

Here you go:

Marshall 1959HW Handwired 100W Super Lead Head

Marshall JTM45 2245 30 Watt Plexi Tube Head

Marshall 1960AV Angled 4x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet

Marshall 1960BX 4x12 100W Straight Cabinet w/Greenback

Marshall ST212 Studio JTM 2x12 Cab

Nice to know there are others out there. :) /wave Thank you for the welcome.

Will add pictures as the gear arrives.

Ah the drums. Yea My guitaring sounds and feels so horribad so I bang on the drums while listening to songs. Not accurately but it gives me back a bit of confidence. Sounds a bit like I'm playing music instead of horse sh.t.

Thank you for the heads up with the SRV songs. I'll give 'er a go and a look-see.

Yes there are. So glad I'm domesticated now but the crazy bubbles within....calling... waiting... lurkin

Thanks much for the welcome. Hehe /wave
Holy hat! You've equipped yourself with Marshalls a lot of us can only dream of. My suggestion is to try all of these out in all the many combinations available before even thinking about getting more amps or cabs. There's loads of great tones that you can get with all of this gear!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got yourself some awesome amps coming! No advice from me as to what else to add but did want to comment on guitars. Since you're spending a mint on those amps already, set aside about $1000 for a really nice white American Strat or about $2000 for a really nice white Gibson Les Paul. In spite of having lots of great amps on the way, you probably won't feel truly satisfied until you get a really good guitar, too. There are SRV model Strats if you would like to try to nail his sound. For now, don't worry too much about pedals. Just focus on getting nice tone from your amps and guitar and, as the saying goes, practice, practice, practice! And don't get discouraged if you can't nail any of the above on your first try. Also, trying googling videos on how to play some of SRV's stuff. There are literally hundreds of great videos on the web, many of which are pitched toward beginners. Happy hunting and rock on! Btw, since no one's mentioned it yet, what you're getting into is truly going down the rabbit hole. Look back on your post in 6 to 12 months and I think you'll be amazed at how much you have learned! And this is the best forum on the internet. It is the only one to which I belong and that might be true for a lot of MFers, as we refer to ourselves.

Thank you for the welcome. I do have a few guitars so that part is covered. Have to work on my practise though. Getting better. Thank you for the wise words.

Holy hat! You've equipped yourself with Marshalls a lot of us can only dream of. My suggestion is to try all of these out in all the many combinations available before even thinking about getting more amps or cabs. There's loads of great tones that you can get with all of this gear!

I'm trying to wait but also would just like to get it over with. I know probably to wait is best. Keep it simple, research it, make a choice, live with the decision, I guess works too. We'll see. Be well.