Higher Wattage Greenback or Alnico Blue-like speaker options

Beltalowda

Reaction score
TL;DR:

As I impatiently wait for my refund, I'm preparing for my upcoming ORI50H purchase and 2x12 closed back cab purchase - will likely be a slant type. Therefore I'm on a speaker hunt.

I'm open to recommendations from you lot for either a higher wattage Greenback style or Alnico Blue style speaker for use in said cab type.

Because I'm buying an amp and cab, I'll be stretched out a bit with funds at that point, so I'd like to try to keep speaker cost under $300 total. I know that limits me, but there ya go.

I'm not a high gain player. My playing style falls somewhere in the late 60s-70s hard rock styles. So, I guess stuff like Townshend, some Hendrix, some Page, and Angus/Malcom. Hell, even some CCR era Fogerty. I do some higher gain stuff on occasion, but I'm mostly a heavy-handed overdriven clean player.

---------------------------------------------

Here's more detailed info for you people who don't fall asleep through long posts:

I thought I really wanted something closer to a Greenback sound in the 2x12, but now I'm also considering something with more of an Alnico Blue type voice. I never paid much attention to Blues before, but they popped up on a few recent speaker shootouts and I dug what I heard.

As you know, the GBs are 25w per, and the Blues are 15w. Since I'm gonna be running the ORI50H through a 2x12, I want to make sure I've covered my arse where wattage is concerned, so ideally the cab would at least be able to handle 100w. Sure, I won't always run it at full power, but I want to be able to without worrying about blowing a speaker when I do.

I keep coming up on the WGS Invader 50s. The Invaders are apparently based on WGS Green Berets which are in turn inspired by Celestion Greenbacks. The Invaders dont sound terribly close to Greenbacks from what I've heard, however. Similar in ways, but also notably different. In any case I'm liking what I hear of them, especially in the Zilla cab demos. In my research, the Invaders sound maybe a little closer to Alnico Blues than Greenbacks, but there are few comparisons that cover both of them, so I dunno if that's accurate. I'm thinking they may be kind of a 'best of both worlds' option though. Maybe you can set me straight. I do understand that I'm at the mercy of youtube demos and what I'm hearing in them may not be wholly accurate.

My main setup is two 1x12s, one open back w/Vintage 30, and one closed w/WGS ET65. Amps I currently use are a Peavey Classic 30, Orange Micro Dark, and occasionally an Orange CR120H (which I often want to punch in the face but that's another story). My cab setup works ok, but I find the ET65 to be a bit too bassy at the bottom and sounds a little too scooped to me in the mids. I like this speaker a lot but more by itself in a single 1x12. The V30 is, well, a V30. Not super crazy about V30s. Together, they kind of fill in where the other lacks, but I find that it's just too much of a broad spectrum. I don't need to cover all those frequencies. I'd rather run two of the same speaker that has a tighter but still thumpy bottom end with a more rounded (smoother?) top end and a pronounced midrange (but not super middy).

Anyhoo. There ya go.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Beltalowda

Reaction score
Couple of Creambacks, maybe?

Much like higher powered Greenbacks and 65 (or 75)W so your 100W requirement would be covered.

Hey thanks :)

I haven't tried Celestion Creambacks, but the ET65 I have is based on it (though it doesn't sound super similar). I'm not necessarily opposed to trying actual Creambacks. In demos I've heard, I like the vintage CBs but the modern ones sound pretty different. But that could be any number of factors I suppose!

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - I'm currently going through a cab/speaker selection decision for an OR20 Head. IIRC from reading, the combined speaker power handling should be at least 1.5 x the power rating of the tube amp. I'm no expert here so hopefully those with more knowledge will join. I've been listening lately to a lot of speaker comparisons on y-tube from Zilla cabs and others. I play blues and rock. At this point I would opt for a Creamback 65 in a 1x12, or two Greenback 25W in a 2x12, or perhaps mix a Greenback with another speaker in a 2x12. I have a 50W Eminence speaker from a BJ amp I may try with the GB in a 2x12. Can't wait to get the gear and start experimenting. Good luck deciding...

PelliX

Reaction score
IIRC from reading, the combined speaker power handling should be at least 1.5 x the power rating of the tube amp.

More or less. I like to go 2x to be on the safe side if the intention (or chance) is present of it getting cranked hard. Depends on the amp, too, but a high gain guitar amp (like a Marshall) will often put out 1.5x the rated power if you tease it the right way. So you want a bit of headroom there, so that the speakers won't be running at their limits then. There's no problem with connecting a 150 or more Watt cab to a 20W head, unless you're trying to get the speaker to break up, of course.

At this point I would opt for a Creamback 65 in a 1x12, or two Greenback 25W

That's cutting it a bit close to recommend if OP is going to 'go all Hendrix' on the amp (65W or 50W). Now, it's true that Celestion are a little conservative with their ratings and there's some tolerance, but I would opt to be on the safe side.

I really, really like the Marshall MX212AR cab for its design, but it comes with two Seventy/80 12" speakers, which to me just sound awful. I've got one eating dust right now that I can't seem to sell. :(

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
TL;DR:

As I impatiently wait for my refund, I'm preparing for my upcoming ORI50H purchase and 2x12 closed back cab purchase - will likely be a slant type. Therefore I'm on a speaker hunt.

I'm open to recommendations from you lot for either a higher wattage Greenback style or Alnico Blue style speaker for use in said cab type.

Because I'm buying an amp and cab, I'll be stretched out a bit with funds at that point, so I'd like to try to keep speaker cost under $300 total. I know that limits me, but there ya go.

I'm not a high gain player. My playing style falls somewhere in the late 60s-70s hard rock styles. So, I guess stuff like Townshend, some Hendrix, some Page, and Angus/Malcom. Hell, even some CCR era Fogerty. I do some higher gain stuff on occasion, but I'm mostly a heavy-handed overdriven clean player.

Here's more detailed info for you people who don't fall asleep through long posts:

I thought I really wanted something closer to a Greenback sound in the 2x12, but now I'm also considering something with more of an Alnico Blue type voice. I never paid much attention to Blues before, but they popped up on a few recent speaker shootouts and I dug what I heard.

As you know, the GBs are 25w per, and the Blues are 15w. Since I'm gonna be running the ORI50H through a 2x12, I want to make sure I've covered my arse where wattage is concerned, so ideally the cab would at least be able to handle 100w. Sure, I won't always run it at full power, but I want to be able to without worrying about blowing a speaker when I do.

I keep coming up on the WGS Invader 50s. The Invaders are apparently based on WGS Green Berets which are in turn inspired by Celestion Greenbacks. The Invaders dont sound terribly close to Greenbacks from what I've heard, however. Similar in ways, but also notably different. In any case I'm liking what I hear of them, especially in the Zilla cab demos. In my research, the Invaders sound maybe a little closer to Alnico Blues than Greenbacks, but there are few comparisons that cover both of them, so I dunno if that's accurate. I'm thinking they may be kind of a 'best of both worlds' option though. Maybe you can set me straight. I do understand that I'm at the mercy of youtube demos and what I'm hearing in them may not be wholly accurate.

My main setup is two 1x12s, one open back w/Vintage 30, and one closed w/WGS ET65. Amps I currently use are a Peavey Classic 30, Orange Micro Dark, and occasionally an Orange CR120H (which I often want to punch in the face but that's another story). My cab setup works ok, but I find the ET65 to be a bit too bassy at the bottom and sounds a little too scooped to me in the mids. I like this speaker a lot but more by itself in a single 1x12. The V30 is, well, a V30. Not super crazy about V30s. Together, they kind of fill in where the other lacks, but I find that it's just too much of a broad spectrum. I don't need to cover all those frequencies. I'd rather run two of the same speaker that has a tighter but still thumpy bottom end with a more rounded (smoother?) top end and a pronounced midrange (but not super middy).

Anyhoo. There ya go.

Thanks in advance!
Get a pair of creambacks either 65 or 75 watt. :yesway:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Couple of Creambacks, maybe?

Much like higher powered Greenbacks and 65 (or 75)W so your 100W requirement would be covered.

What he said absolutely ^^^^^!! And, check out Avatar speakers, they have the best pricing around with great customer service. I buy all my Celestions from them.

Beltalowda

Reaction score
Not your fault and no big deal, but the ET65 is based on the G12-65 which is rather different from the 65 watt Creamback.
I appreciate the clarification and it explains why I never thought they sounded very close. A few years ago, someone recommended looking at WGS options so I contacted a rep there and asked them if they had a Creamback styled speaker and they pointed me toward the ET65. I did listen to demos of that speaker and liked it at the time so I went for it, but in later years I came across more vids comparing it to a celestion Creamback 65 and it didn't sound terribly similar. I still like the ET65 for what it is, but yeah. Thanks again!

Beltalowda

Reaction score
More or less. I like to go 2x to be on the safe side if the intention (or chance) is present of it getting cranked hard. Depends on the amp, too, but a high gain guitar amp (like a Marshall) will often put out 1.5x the rated power if you tease it the right way. So you want a bit of headroom there, so that the speakers won't be running at their limits then. There's no problem with connecting a 150 or more Watt cab to a 20W head, unless you're trying to get the speaker to break up, of course.

That's cutting it a bit close to recommend if OP is going to 'go all Hendrix' on the amp (65W or 50W). Now, it's true that Celestion are a little conservative with their ratings and there's some tolerance, but I would opt to be on the safe side.

I really, really like the Marshall MX212AR cab for its design, but it comes with two Seventy/80 12" speakers, which to me just sound awful. I've got one eating dust right now that I can't seem to sell. :(

I prefer to double the wattage too. And yeah, the demos I've heard of the Seventy/80s have never sounded very appealing to my ears.

Beltalowda

Reaction score
OP - I'm currently going through a cab/speaker selection decision for an OR20 Head. IIRC from reading, the combined speaker power handling should be at least 1.5 x the power rating of the tube amp. I'm no expert here so hopefully those with more knowledge will join. I've been listening lately to a lot of speaker comparisons on y-tube from Zilla cabs and others. I play blues and rock. At this point I would opt for a Creamback 65 in a 1x12, or two Greenback 25W in a 2x12, or perhaps mix a Greenback with another speaker in a 2x12. I have a 50W Eminence speaker from a BJ amp I may try with the GB in a 2x12. Can't wait to get the gear and start experimenting. Good luck deciding...
Thanks for your input!

Beltalowda

Reaction score
Some people think/hear a difference in the greenies and the creamies but IMO there is very little difference other that power and tbat is why I use the Creamback G12M-65s in my 2x12 and combos!
Looks like I'm probably going to go this route!

Madfinger

Reaction score
TL;DR:

Anyhoo. There ya go.

Thanks in advance!
Thought of putting a Celestion Gold in the 1x12 & keeping the WGS in the other. Not sure of the mid frequencies of the WGS. Golds more clear high with punchy low + Orange + music style mentioned you should try.

2L man

Reaction score
Neodyms seems to compress less than alnicos but more than ceramics. I think Jensen Stealth 65 could be good what you are looking for.