How do I set up my DSL 20 on the Green Channel for Clean for Pedals (Gain,Vol,Treble,Middle,Bass,Presence,Resonance)?

• Thread starter jay59LP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello 1st time poster. Do I turn everything to 0? except for the Vol & Gain? I just want the amp as neutral as possible on Green Ch. for running Pedals.
Thank You in advance for any guidance.
:welcome: to the forum.
I'd suggest starting with everything on noon, gain & volume around 1.
Bring the volume up to the level you want and then try adjusting everything up/down and see for yourself what you like more or less of.
Every amp is a little different, every room is a little different, and everyone's favorite tone is a little different.
Find what works for you and then add some pedals.
Make sure you put an EQ in the loop. :yesway:

Tone Deaf

Reaction score
First time post here for me as well. 50 year player. My main amp is a DSL40c.

Just remember that when you turn any of the knobs down, you cut ( decrease ) the effect of that control knob. You cannot increase the signal ( as 10, for most amp controls, is 100% of that signal - or neutral as you describe ). That may be a little difficult to comprehend now, but you’ll get it soon.

To put it another way, when you start on 0, you are at signal effect minimum.
You can only increase the signal effect from that signal minimum point.

I have some write-ups that further address your questions but need to find them and add to this thread.

Do what What @fitz288 said.

Last edited:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Even with the amp as neutral as possible you’re still going through the preamp section so there’s going to be some coloring of the tone. Each amps “neutral” setting is going to be different from one another because their designs are different.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you saying that you’re not wanting to have to adjust tone controls on an amp because you only want to hear the tone of a pedal? The reality is room acoustics are a big part of your tone and vary from one location to another. What may sound good at one location may be too bassy or trebly at another. And that’s solved by adjusting your tone controls.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just remember that when you turn any of the knobs down, you cut ( decrease ) the effect of that control knob. You cannot increase the signal ( as 10, for most amp controls, is 100% of that signal - or neutral as you describe ). That may be a little difficult to comprehend now, but you’ll get it soon.

I have some write-ups that further address your questions but need to find them and add to this thread.

:welcome: to the forum.

Listogast

Reaction score
Sometimes I like to put all knobs at 10 for a neutral tone since that's basically bypassing the eq pots. I usually dial down certain tones that I don't like from that point to get my sound and that works fairly good. Another thing would be to put all knobs at 5 for a "manufacturer" default setting since that seems to be what they try to focus on.

Eric'45

Reaction score
:welcome:to both of you.

I would start of with all setting at noon (5).
as others have said, in theory, all Bass/Mids/Treble up to 10 gives you a neutral sound- but I don't think that's the case with Presence and Resonance. For these, I would always start with either noon, or turned down completely.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello 1st time poster. Do I turn everything to 0? except for the Vol & Gain? I just want the amp as neutral as possible on Green Ch. for running Pedals.
:welcome:
To The Forum
Start at noon and adjust to your liking ..
As already mentioned above..
Cheers
Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

:welcome:
To The Forum

jay59LP

Reaction score
Well I found out what I like and it turned out prefect. Treble & Bass on 9 & Middle on 10 with Presence at 6 Resonance at 4. Classic Gain (Green Ch), Gain at 4 & 1/2 , Volume 7. Ultra Gain (Red Ch) Gain at 4 and Volume at 7. This is the best my DSL 20CR has ever sounded. The Green Channel is clean & full (depending on how high my Les Paul is dialed up) and that Clean sound, sounds amazing with the La Grange pedal, The DSL20CR turns into a Plexi with that pedal. I love that KRRR-ANG and crunch Plexi sound .The Red channel sound great alone or even better with a TS-9 Tube screamer(Drive at 0) (Vol. Max)(Tone Middle) or Boss Sd-1(Drive at 0) (Vol. Max)(Tone Middle). Glad I came here to bounce ideas from this Marshall forums. Rock On! 😎🎸🔊🎵

Attachments

• 20210625_021751.jpg
    20210625_021751.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Res1.jpg
    Res1.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210505_140730.jpg
    20210505_140730.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 17

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You've already gotten some expert replies. My two cents is simply to keep the Presence and Resonance at zero (0). These functions actually remove some frequencies when engaged, so their neutral is zero. For the Treble, Mid, and Bass, my suggestion is to start at noon and roll back the Treble and Bass while turning up the Mid. This is all to taste, of course. My channel preference is Classic rather than Ultra Gain. As for Gain and Volume, IME the lower gain and higher volume settings are the most pleasing, but, as always, YMMV.

mark123

Reaction score
Treble 6
Middle 9
Bass 6
Presence 5
Resonance 6

Now turn up the volume up to around 5 and bring up the gain until it just starts to break up with a little distortion. Then turn your volume on the guitar down to 7.

Tweak it from there.

Reaction score
Clean on DSL20Hr

Just turn gain knob at 1/10 on Green Channel.

The EQ bass treb mid resonance etc depend of your acoustic.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I would set everything on 5, then set the green channel volume on 10 and use the green channel gain for volume. This will get you the cleanest tone to run a pedal platform.