How do you find out if the iron and caps are original?

• Thread starter vice2.0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vice2.0

Reaction score
Hey guys. As the title suggests I'm trying to find out if the original transformers and caps are original in old amps?

I know from the 80's JCM 800 Drake days it'd be stamped and have paper attached.

is it different in 70's models? Are they stamped or noted somehow?

Cheers
Michael

giam23

Reaction score
depends on the amp and exact era, most have us here on the forum have seen hundreds if not thousands of these amps and know exactly what is right and not, post photos here and we will be able to tell you. especially in the 60s and 70s marshall would change things so often so you really have to know what you are looking at

vice2.0

Reaction score
depends on the amp and exact era, most have us here on the forum have seen hundreds if not thousands of these amps and know exactly what is right and not, post photos here and we will be able to tell you. especially in the 60s and 70s marshall would change things so often so you really have to know what you are looking at

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It helps to understand that certain parts were only made during certain periods of time. For example, in an 80s or 90s Marshall, you'd expect LCR main reservoir capacitors to be installed, while in a 60s unit you'd expect Hunts or Erie or Daly capacitors, and Dalys in the 70s until LCRs started to appear. And you'd expect Mustard caps, but only in a certain range of years.

It's an experience thing, really. If you're interested, if you want to know, you'll see enough examples to start to know what's supposed to be there and what's out of range for that time period.

vice2.0

Reaction score
My apologies I was on my mobile and didn’t see the file size restriction. Let’s try again.

It’s a 73 Canadian Import. I know it’s been modded but It has some unique features I haven’t seen in other amps and can’t tell if it’s the mod work or original features. First two pics are the PT and the last few have a stamped OT but it’s faded. Best I can read is 652?

First are the trannys original?

Second, it has two 8 Ohm and one 16 Ohm speaker selection. I’ve seen 2 and 4 speaker selection but not 3.

I also suspect the caps have been changed but can’t tell yet.

I’m familiar with the extra rocker switches to keep up with the CSA standards.

I’m okay with extra drilled holes (a 50 yr old amp will be sure to have “custom” requests) but if the transformers are different I’m a little concerned.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5457.jpeg
    IMG_5457.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5459.jpeg
    IMG_5459.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5458.jpeg
    IMG_5458.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

vice2.0

Reaction score
The OT and the assembly tag

Attachments

• IMG_5462.jpeg
    IMG_5462.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5461.jpeg
    IMG_5461.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes those are new F&T capacitors, F&Ts have only been around for a few years. The original Dalys would be taller (almost twice as tall) and have translucent blue shrink wrap labels, except for a few years where they used translucent green.

The age patina on the transformers matches the chassis. There are no tell-tale "shadows" that would appear if you were to move or replace a transformer and have it be slightly misaligned or mismatched to the patina on the chassis below it. There's thus no visible indication that the transformers are not original.

Let's see the guts. Inside the chassis. Not only is this very informative of the amp in general, it also allows the solder joints to be inspected and you can see it if they're undisturbed with the original red dye still in place over them. (A QC measure at the factory)

giam23

Reaction score
Yes those are new F&T capacitors, F&Ts have only been around for a few years. The original Dalys would be taller (almost twice as tall) and have translucent blue shrink wrap labels, except for a few years where they used translucent green.

The age patina on the transformers matches the chassis. There are no tell-tale "shadows" that would appear if you were to move or replace a transformer and have it be slightly misaligned or mismatched to the patina on the chassis below it. There's thus no visible indication that the transformers are not original.

Let's see the guts. Inside the chassis. Not only is this very informative of the amp in general, it also allows the solder joints to be inspected and you can see it if they're undisturbed with the original red dye still in place over them. (A QC measure at the factory)
is that what PT a canadian export would have? I agree it looks original from the outside but ive never seen one like that from the inside, but I do see red paint on the solder joints that does like like marshall so thinking its a canadian thing?

Agree its been recapped with F&Ts, they are probably the cap of choice here on there forum so cant go wrong there, would love to see the rest of the guts

TAZIN

Reaction score
They are original transformers for a Canadian amp of this era. The PT should have an internal thermal fuse which seems to be par for the course during this era. The lack of a 4-ohm tap on the OT is also normal for Canadian amps during this time frame. I have no idea why CSA regulations would prohibit a 4-ohm tap.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Once Marshall started doing the red paint on solder joints as a QC check, they did it to all amps in production regardless of market. It's not exclusively a Canadian thing.

CSA regs are weird, and absolutely reek of nanny-state-ism. Like they figured that it was the job of government to ensure your safety, rather than trust you to apply common sense. So....more fuses for everyone! And let's limit current! That's probably why no 4 ohm taps.

vice2.0

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help guys! Truly!

Hearing that it’s original iron and high quality caps is a blessing to my ears lol.

It is a PCB board as well, not that I mind :)

It has some extra drilled holes (mooost amps of that era saw mods unfortunately) and at one point had an extra tube but I think it’s stock except for a Metro FX loop.

I’ll attach pics when I’m off work and can take (and then shrink file size) the pics lol

Thanks again!

Last edited: