How to Kick somebody out of your band

• Thread starter DaCookieMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Boy

Reaction score
This is a tough situation, but one that we've all faced and probably will continue to face as long as we're playing. IMHO, it all starts with clearly communicated objectives of what you want to accomplish as a band. What are your shared goals, and what do you need to do TOGETHER to achieve them. If you find that a team member is not holding up his/her end of the bargain relative to achieving these goals, they're expendable.

When we put my current band together, it was with four guys with whom I'd gone to high school and college - these guys were definitely friends of long-standing. We first sat down and talked about what we wanted to do. We all agreed that we would all learn our parts to play songs as tight as possible, with everyone pulling their weight, get some good gigs, and see what happened. After the first year, we started getting a little tired of our lead singer using a music stand and printed lyrics to help him get through the songs, so we asked him to start memorizing the songs, which he agreed to do. After another six months or so, it was clear that he wasn't willing/interested in memorizing his parts, and the music stand/printed lyrics thing really started to wear on the rest of the band (and made us look a little silly in the process). Because two of the other guys threatened to walk, we once more confronted the situation, and when it was clear he wasn't going to put forth the effort required to learn the songs, we decided to let him go.

It was tough (I was the one who broke the news to him), but because we had all agreed on how this was going to work ahead of time, it wasn't like this came out of left field. We were honest, candid and didn't try to pull any B.S. It was just a matter of one guy not doing his job that was negatively impacting the band. He was hurt, pissed, but ultimately he had no one to blame but himself for not making a commitment to the band.

I'm happy to say that we've split lead vocal duties between myself and the bass player, and we've never sounded better. Certainly a much happier ending than if the band had imploded because one guy wasn't pulling his weight.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
BE A MAN/MEN ABOUT IT!

Sit the guy down and have your band all tell it like it is. Tell him that everyone has been trying to be cool about his ways, but that it's too much of a problem. Tell him you guys want him to stay but only if he is cool about things from now on. You give him a heads up and a warning without going out like little bitches yourselves by not being upfront and honest.

I doubt that your guy will change and he may be going through some personal stuff. You gotta get together as a group and see what is important to the group. For me, it's all about the music, so if there's a problem and it can't be worked out or is too complicated, it's time to be men and let him go.

carnada

Reaction score
When someone is distracting the band, the whole band suffers. If it continues, then the morale of the band suffers and it can cause tension among the other band mates as well. This could lead to the entire band breaking up simply because one member developed a problem.

It's a lot like MartyStrat said, "You can't be watching them all of the time." If there is a good chance the guy will straighten up, then let him know he is on probation. This will either cause him to want to impress the band, or he will flake out on you and then it won't be such a hassle dumping him because he knew he was on probation.

If something (drugs/girlfriend) has caused him to go sour, then you need to remove him quickly for the good of the entire band.

Lisa, im in love with you.

rhys_wtb

Reaction score
i agree with monster of the midway

you have to tell it like it is, the band im in has been going for a year now and weve already been through 9 members

1st rhythm guitarist - not to our style, wasnt willing to change
1st bassist - just shit, didnt know the notes on his bass
2nd rhythm guitarist - couldnt play properly
1st singer - serious unreliability, never spoke to him since before christmas

what annoys me more then anything, is that the last 3 made no effort to improve at all, just expected me to do everything for them. plus they never got on with me properly, so that made the band chemistry awkward,

now, we have our 3rd rhythm guitarist, 2nd bassist, and 2nd singer, all know what their doing, all practise what their supposed to do, and the band chemistry is just perfect, and i think it reflects in our songs, cause ive been able to write better stuff

bottom line, if someone isnt pulling their weight in the band, either address the problem head on and try to resolve, if they dont co-operate, then their out

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
I'm a little late on this...been real busy with the logistics of our new release, so I have not had a lot of computer time...

For what it is worth...

It is my belief that a band cannot constantly rotate through members...The band should be a unit. Ego's need to be set aside and everyone needs to have the same goals...It is important to have a friendship as well as a business relationship...Easier said than done...

Everyone just needs to be honest and upfront with each other...Be respectful, but if something is bothering you and the rest of the band, you have to address the problem before it festers...

Not everyone will get along 100% of the time...just have the right communication...

Honestly, replacing members is not as easy as it sounds...the band will be set back...chemistry will be lost...and it will take a long time to get the chops back...

Try to resolve whatever the issues are...

Now, of course my advice is based on an original band...if your band is just for fun or just a cover band, my advice may not apply...

Just look at all options...maybe the guy you are having a problem with has something going on in his life, maybe he is not happy with the progress of the band and it is making him disinterested...

Just keep the communication open...Lack of communication can be the death of a band...

Hollowbody

Reaction score
The obvious has eluded me but now I understand why there is a negligible percentage of ladies on this forum than potential allows.

Nice job.

:wtf:

monty john

Reaction score
Hey guys stay away from my "future ex-wife" marshall girl!! LOL :lol:

Sounds like if he is bitching he is unhappy anyway so pull the plug on the bloke.......does he not like the material? being in a band? practicing? or does he just rag on other band members?

The worst really is the obsesive/compulsive =complain about everybody else but I am "oblivious about my flaws" type of musician...usually its the drummer......drummers can be meat-heads for sure....

Its always hard replacing somebody but if you guys are any good, replacement will be quick and easy..... the next guy may appreciate it more.....and not bitch but dig it......

The bottom line is "gotta have a good vibe" about the band....

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Yeah dude, this is a chick with a pulse AND a Marshall.
Think about what's going through his head right now.

Wait. What am I saying... I'm 15 =/

In that case, what would a chick with a Marshall want with a 17-18 year old that uses a Mesa power amp and a Line 6 POD as the root of his rig? :D

tonefreak

Reaction score
The worst really is the obsesive/compulsive =complain about everybody else but I am "oblivious about my flaws" type of musician...usually its the drummer......drummers can be meat-heads for sure....

I agree drummers are meat heads. no offense. I play drums as a secondary instrument...
but seriously. my bands drummer sinks off into lala land in like 2 seconds. we'll be talking, he'll be pounding away, were trying to concentrate on learning somthing, and he'll be pounding away, completly oblivious to anything around him. and as such, it takes him way too long to set up his drumset. we can arrive, unload, and start setting up, and have all the guitars, and the sound system up and running, and he will have not even started fine tuning... kind of irritating. but he's too good to kick out... he blows most other 17 year old, and alot of 20 and 30 year old drummers out of the water.

last week we had a gig, and we borrowed a really nice roland td12 electric set, and the drummer was told not to come till about 20 minutes before we started (get a lot more done in set up with out him), and all he had to bring was a pair of sticks. and he didn't even bring them. thank god there were a pair in the bottom of one of the bins. he would have been outside looking for some tree branches to use.

ok done ranting about drummers. back on topic

Gtrman58

Reaction score
I have found that with most people (excluding drummers) honesty works best. Set him down and tell him what you've told us. If you think there might be a chance that he can work out and has done so in the past see if he acts like he wants to fit in and make it work & grow as a band. If he's a hot head (drummer) and think there might be violence...
A) Take him out to a bar, get him drunk and beat the shit out of him and the next time you see him tell him he attacked you and he's out of the band. Or...
B) Take his rig and pawn it. Tell him someone broke in and stole his shit.

7daysofhell

Reaction score
Please help, guys. One of my best friends for 4+ years/ bassist lead singer in my band has really been being a bitch at practices the last several practices. Really uncooperative. He told me he couldn't afford a $200 4 10 bass cab i found on ebay, but came to practice a few weeks later with $700 dollars worth of baseball shit.

He's not a friend if he's treating you and the band like that.:( Tell him straighten up or he's history. As an ex employer and secretary of many organasation I usually get the job of dumping the ballast overside, its not fun. I have had to do it to a friend twice, but managed to stay friends by staying calm and factual.If you are firing him make sure all the band agree first the tell him straight and quick. Have a list of his dirty deeds drawn up and ready in case he asks "Why?" Also it helps to look for a replacement first so you dont have a gap with no Bass player to rehearse with. I know it sounds sneaky but a band isnt one person. One person shouldnt be ruining the band for everyone else.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
I have found that with most people (excluding drummers) honesty works best. Set him down and tell him what you've told us. If you think there might be a chance that he can work out and has done so in the past see if he acts like he wants to fit in and make it work & grow as a band. If he's a hot head (drummer) and think there might be violence...
A) Take him out to a bar, get him drunk and beat the shit out of him and the next time you see him tell him he attacked you and he's out of the band. Or...
B) Take his rig and pawn it. Tell him someone broke in and stole his shit.

:)

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
DaCookieMonster...

Well two weeks has gone by. What did you do? What approach did you use? Is he still in or out?